Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my left side fork is leaking i think? its dripping on my brake. how do i replace the seal or gasket? its seems like its coming from the bottow side of the fork.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
What model do you have ?
It is really not that difficult to change the seals, but you may need a special tool to tear the fork apart and that is a maybe since I dont know your model bike.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
OK, figure out where it is leaking. Wash and dry it, so it is hospital clean. Dust it with talcum or baby powder. Hold the brake, and work the shocks up and down, then use a strong light to find the leak. I had a real mystery, and found a .05mm crack on the boss that the brake mounts to! Weird place, but I found it. If it is a fork seal or dust seal, jack up the bike, remove the fender, caliper (I just support the caliper on a crate) axle, wheel. Loosen the triple trees, slide the fork tube out. Invert. Drain. Place in vice. Use a brass drift to remove the cap. The dust seal should tell you if fluid is going by. Pry up seal, remove spring, seal, and replace. Put it all back together, fill with fluid, re install. If it is not the seal, you might have to replace the slider. Sadly, my left had the leak. Good time to upgrade to chrome! I did! Joe

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I was fooled into thinking I had a blown seal on the left leg. I had the tell tail ring of fork oil on the slider. But, the fork was leaking where the slider tube screws into the bottom casting. We had a very difficult time finding where the leak was, but a young tech noticed oil accumulating at the seam between the slider and the lower casting, particularly in the vicinity of the brake caliper lug.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
step 1) purchase the service manual for your bike
step 2) follow the instructions as laide out in said service manual
step 3) post up all questions or concerns here once you review the service manual

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a 2006 harley davidson street rod.
PHILTY i think thats where my leak is coming from because its accumulating at the bottom casting that bolts up to the axle. its not coming from the top of the fork. its getting all over the back of the casting and the brake caliper. how did they fix the leak???

THANKS FOR EVERYONE TRYING TO HELP ME OUT!!!

·
www.skullfilms.se
108 Posts
my left side fork is leaking i think? its dripping on my brake. how do i replace the seal or gasket? its seems like its coming from the bottow side of the fork.

Hade the same issue when i got my Street rod. My tip is to NOT buy the original HD gasket.. I tock my old gasket and went to my local Kawasaki store and got one identical for $2 ;)

Not to eazy to fix by you self I you dont have the lift and the right tools. I took mine to the custom store and they did the oilchange and gasket replacement for less than $120 (inc the oil, original from HD)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I assume you have an R with the inverted forks.
Fork leaks from a worn seal usually start out very slow and the first thing you will notice is a thin film of oil on the fork tube not dripping oil on separate bike components.
Simple test: Clean your fork very well and then press the fron of your bike up and down working your front forks. If there is an issue with your seals, you will see the thin coat of oil on your fork tubes.
At that point, I would pull the fork and have a professional replace the seals unless you are pretty well mechanically inclined AND you have the proper seal installing tools.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Hade the same issue when i got my Street rod. My tip is to NOT buy the original HD gasket.. I tock my old gasket and went to my local Kawasaki store and got one identical for $2 ;)

Not to eazy to fix by you self I you dont have the lift and the right tools. I took mine to the custom store and they did the oilchange and gasket replacement for less than $120 (inc the oil, original from HD)
Chris, if what is leaking that I think is leaking, a gasket or seal won't solve the problem. The slider and lower casting are sold as an assembled unit. What I think has happened is the fork tube has worked loose in the lower casting and allowing oil to come up through the threads. This is the failure I had. The dealer replaced the complete lower leg with the lower casting, simple enough once we figured out what was wrong. The seal would be replaced when this is done simply because the seal must be driven out to remove the fork tube from the stanchion.
Another member posted somewhere (?) on this site about heating the lower casting and unscrewing it from the fork leg onto which it is threaded, resealing it with lock tite and screwing it back together. Not sure how you grip the fork tube to tighten that lower casting without damaging the finish of the fork tube.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Chris, if what is leaking that I think is leaking, a gasket or seal won't solve the problem. The slider and lower casting are sold as an assembled unit. What I think has happened is the fork tube has worked loose in the lower casting and allowing oil to come up through the threads. This is the failure I had. The dealer replaced the complete lower leg with the lower casting, simple enough once we figured out what was wrong. The seal would be replaced when this is done simply because the seal must be driven out to remove the fork tube from the stanchion.
Another member posted somewhere (?) on this site about heating the lower casting and unscrewing it from the fork leg onto which it is threaded, resealing it with lock tite and screwing it back together. Not sure how you grip the fork tube to tighten that lower casting without damaging the finish of the fork tube.
strap wrench

1 - 10 of 10 Posts