Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna change the rear tire and have noticed that the belt has started squealing. I started searching around about belt tension and read that if you change the height of the fork tube it will also change the tension of the belt because of the swingarm relationship with front pulley. The original owner said he raised the fork tube up in the tree to get the bike lower in the front but couldn't remember how much. So my question is? Does anyone have a measurement on the top of the fork tube to the tree on an 05 vrscse?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Not sure how that would affect belt tension. But the belt is known to make noise at times. I think its due to temps. After a few thousand miles it goes away. Make sure tension and belt alignment is correct . Belt rides on outside of pulley. Anyway I recently bought a new belt and it had what looked like a coating of some sort. Belt was purple.This belt did not make any noise like my last one did when it was new. I would make an educated guess on height, cant be that hard. The frames are not level w/the ground. So I would bring it up a inch or so from level.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
'05 VRSCSE ? I thought they had regular right-side up fork tubes , I didn't think you could slide those up into the tree ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks coastrider. I have a Clymer shop manual but couldn't find the measurement in there. So I'm understanding that the belt will always ride to the outside edge of rear pully even with proper belt tension. With the factory spacers shouldn't the wheel be centered? I'm gonna adjust the fork tubed back down to see if that loosens the belt tension a bit. I'm waiting on a belt tension gauge to arrive to check before moving the fork tubes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read this from a previous post

stever975
02-27-2008, 07:39 AM
I have to make sure my belt tension is properly set... I don't have the stock the special harley tool yet.

Is the harley tool the best way to go about it? How do you guys go about setting up your belt properly?

Also the belt specs call for a 6mm deflection @ 10 pounds right? So is it better to keep on the tighter side of that spec or keep the belt a little looser?The Street Rod has a different belt deflection specification than the other VRSC models. Most of the VRSC models have a 127 to 142 mm (5" to 5.5") ride height and use the 6 mm @ 10 lbs force belt deflection specification. The VRSCR with longer shocks and a 170 mm (6.7") ground clearance has the swingarm rotated from parallel. This moves the sprockets closer together so a looser belt deflection spec. of 10 mm @ 10 lbs is required. These different static ride heights result in the belt on a VRSCR getting tighter with swingarm motion whereas it gets looser on the other VRSC models.

I don't think the "twist the belt" method can distinguish the difference between these two requirements. Running the belt too tight or too loose is not a good idea. The torque capacity of the belt drive is directly related to belt tension: too loose and the belt can't handle full power (loose enough and it will ratchet over the sprocket teeth putting severe load on the bearings and damaging the belt teeth), too tight and the bearings will suffer.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I read this from a previous post

stever975
02-27-2008, 07:39 AM
I have to make sure my belt tension is properly set... I don't have the stock the special harley tool yet.

Is the harley tool the best way to go about it? How do you guys go about setting up your belt properly?

Also the belt specs call for a 6mm deflection @ 10 pounds right? So is it better to keep on the tighter side of that spec or keep the belt a little looser?The Street Rod has a different belt deflection specification than the other VRSC models. Most of the VRSC models have a 127 to 142 mm (5" to 5.5") ride height and use the 6 mm @ 10 lbs force belt deflection specification. The VRSCR with longer shocks and a 170 mm (6.7") ground clearance has the swingarm rotated from parallel. This moves the sprockets closer together so a looser belt deflection spec. of 10 mm @ 10 lbs is required. These different static ride heights result in the belt on a VRSCR getting tighter with swingarm motion whereas it gets looser on the other VRSC models.

I don't think the "twist the belt" method can distinguish the difference between these two requirements. Running the belt too tight or too loose is not a good idea. The torque capacity of the belt drive is directly related to belt tension: too loose and the belt can't handle full power (loose enough and it will ratchet over the sprocket teeth putting severe load on the bearings and damaging the belt teeth), too tight and the bearings will suffer.
Not sure where you got the ride height from but on a good day the rears have about 3-3.5 at most unless the SE is way different. Both my stock and the 444s come in about the same range. Even the front inverted on my 13 DX, close to the same ballpark measurement. As for tension, set the belt on a cold bike, mid point in the specs. As the bike heats up, the belt will get tighter. Let bike warm up before doing a flaming burnout. Moving the front tubes in or out will have no effect on the belt at least not in the small range you have to work with.
Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As it turned out my fork tube was 3/4" too high per the manual. It did not make a difference on the belt adjustment. Thanks to all for the comments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts