1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Have some questions for all of you.
I have this Night rod special 2008.
I have some leakage in the forks, so i replaced the seals in both legs.
Then i discover a big chips in the right leg, and change this for a new one.
But i can still se a "dust ring" on the legs after i have drove. Same ring on the new lag as the old leg. First a think its only grease from the mounting of the seals, and will disappear after a while, but it wont. Its not very much and not drip oil. Is this normal. Its my first Harley, but a have drive and repair a good deal of Japanese cycles thru the years, and my experience is that they be totally leak free after a change. Should it be that on the Harley too? I think its very good quality on the rest of the bike, much, much better than i think before i own my own Harley:).
Maybe i do something wrong? I not use genuine harley seals, i use a brand called "james gasket".
Did you have some advice to me?
Thanks and Best Regards from Sweden.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
:them:Ya what i see no big deal an don't bother until i see gobs or a much thicker ring of oil at the end of the travel which is a long ways off.Actually it looks normal to me unless it's a bad picture.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Mine is just starting to leave a film like that after 6 years and 35000 miles (56000 km). I'm upset too. It shouldn't weep like that, but it isn't worth the expense for me to replace it.

You, however, may want to replace them again. Those seals may have been damaged during installation or they may be old rubber (shelf life expired).

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
I recently replaced mine after fitting some Ricor Intiminators in the front forks of my o8DX.Mine leaked like yours are from new, not a lot but just enough to be annoying.I used Amsoil fork oil and HD seals.At first the new seals leaked a bit but after a few rides they seemed to take up and have been fine ever since.The other possibility is theres a little oil residue sitting on top of your seals from the install and this needs to find its way out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Went through this with a BRAND NEW AW model back in 09, the dealer's called it "weeping" because it was not dripping down the leg. Long story short I think HD got a batch of bad forks, the seals were replaced on mine at the 1000 mile service, again shortly after that, the final repair came when HD agreed to replace BOTH COMPLETE ASSEMBLIES!!!! I have seen countless V-Rods with the same issue, but most owners accept it as being "normal"!! Some say it goes away after a certain amount of time, NO SHIT, when the small quantity of fork oil "weeps" out it will quit leaking!!!!!

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Theres definitely a quality problem there somewhere.Hemi dave was lucky he was under warranty and found a fix although whether it lasts is debatable.Mine was out of warranty and the dealer said i probably had stone chips on the fork legs and should buy some new ones.Bike only had 100 Kilometres on it due to sitting unused before i bought it so it could hardly be called road scarred.They couldnt give a stuff.If they're
fork oil is as dodgy as they're syn 3 engine oil i'm not surprised it leaks.Not saying Amsoil is the panacea but it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
If there are visible pits or chips in the chrome of the fork tubes, sand the tubes in a cross hatched pattern with 300 grit silicon carbide paper to take the edge off the chips and prevent damage to the new fork seals. This should be normal procedure when replacing fork seals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts