Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what weight and brand are you boys usin??? I put in the lowered springs and was thinking of Maxima 20 wt??? ...I'm thiinking they will hols about 340ml each??

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is that the one they call heavy weight?? The one I saw just said extra heavy weight..or does it say 15wt??

thx!!

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I would love to see a "how-to" on this, since on a mountain bike it is really quite easy, but the shops all charge a premium on it.

Greg

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
More than 16oz per leg. That much I know. The SE stuff comes in 16oz bottles and it took slightly more than 1 bottle per.

John

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
:notworthy I put the "SE Heavy" ("Performance") fork oil in my '03 yesterday morning. Used a brake bleeding (vacum) sucker to suck out 16 0z of oil from each fork; while bike was up on my cycle lift. Boy, there is a whole bunch of Pre-Load on those springs....so watch out when removing the end cap. I used a big towel on top of my large 1 3/8" combo wrench to keep it from hurting me or the bike when it popped up. No problem...just be careful. Putting it back together was another story....had to have a friend push down on the end cap with a 18" long round wood dowl while I tightened the cap into the top of the fork tube.
It was tough, but we got it done in about 15 minutes. Haven't ridden the bike to test it out yet (raining); but it helped my other Harley a lot. The manual says to take off the individual forks and do it in a special press and clamp assy.; but I've always done it this way in less than an hour instead of the whole day job they recommend. Good luck.

·
V-Mod.com
581 Posts
We usually set the Fork Oil by height. With the fork collapsed and the spring removed, add oil a couple of inches from the top. Cycle the slider up and down a couple of times to purge any air on the other side of the damper. Take a syringe or equivalent and cut a hose to the desired length [ height ]. I use a large fender washer to make a stop. Suck out the oil until the syringe sucks air and your height is set. I have found this way, nets me very cosistant results. If you are useing "sring kits" you'll want to follow their recommendations, as different springs take up different volumes. Basically, you want enough oil to always cover the damper, but not so much the fork "hydro-locks" . Sorry about the length, just thought I would share this with you.
Best: Steve

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
then manual says 85mm from the top??? i assume they mean with the spring removed and the fork colapsed????

Will I need a special tool to hold the damper rod from turning..Or ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts