Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mentioned that I wanted to have the oil changed to the SE oil in my fork. The "tech" went off about it being a difficult operation, and he recommended that I just have a couple more ounces of regular oil added instead. He cited issues with some of our PD bikes that had the heavier oil put it, and would compress, but not rebound. Sounds like :bs: to me, but before I get all :spank: I wanted to get some opinions. Thanks everyone

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
That's BS. I have the SE heavy (15wt) oil in mine and the improvement was excellent. Much less front dive under hard braking. Find another wrench to do the job for you.

John

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:stupid:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Super Kaz said:

Kaz,

You mentioned earlier about droping the front end by sliding the forks up through the triple tree. Is it as easy as loosening the bolts on the TT, sliding the forks up and NOT adding any fork oil?

Regards,

:ride:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had mine done (changed to 15wt) at the Orlando Harley dealer - no problem. Minimum labour charge and big improvement on the front end suspension.
Re: sliding the forks up the TTs - I thought about it but then thought it would look kind of stupid to have the forks sticking out the top of the TTs. Maybe just do it temporarily to see how it looks and feels and then have it lowered properly if you like it.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I will probably do it myself. I am sooooo frustrated finding a tech I can trust. Time to get my extended warranty money back

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Do the lowers have drain holes? If not is this the reason for the added labor? on the other hand if they dont have these holes cant they be drilled and taped for a small pipe plug?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Al,
Yes it's that easy! ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Look at this picture!

bermuda said:
I had mine done (changed to 15wt) at the Orlando Harley dealer - no problem. Minimum labour charge and big improvement on the front end suspension.
Re: sliding the forks up the TTs - I thought about it but then thought it would look kind of stupid to have the forks sticking out the top of the TTs. Maybe just do it temporarily to see how it looks and feels and then have it lowered properly if you like it.
I think this vrod has them adjusted? See picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just to chime in, I have the SE fork oil as well and it made a huge improvement for me. Minimal front end dive when braking. Also, I think it improved handling at high speeds (reduced shimmy). :sinister:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
VrodG said:
Do the lowers have drain holes? If not is this the reason for the added labor? on the other hand if they dont have these holes cant they be drilled and taped for a small pipe plug?
No, the lowers don't have drain holes, you have to remove the forks and turn them upside down to drain them. I suppose you could drill and tap them but the process would take longer than simply following the instructions and pulling the struts.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are instructions? Are you referring to the manual? if, so, cool! thanks a million guys. Hopefully by the weekend

1 - 14 of 14 Posts