Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching the forum until the cows came home and can not find the answer to a serious question.
'
I am about to change the Front fork oil on my 2007 VRSCX and do not know how much oil to purchase. I know it is a bit more than a pint but how much?
Should I plan on 2 pints per fork or 2 quarts. The service manual says to fill to 3.6" from the top but nowhere does it mention how much this will take.
'
Anyone help?

·
Premium Member
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hoffa65.

·
Registered
641 Posts
fork oil

Been searching the forum until the cows came home and can not find the answer to a serious question.
'
I am about to change the Front fork oil on my 2007 VRSCX and do not know how much oil to purchase. I know it is a bit more than a pint but how much?
Should I plan on 2 pints per fork or 2 quarts. The service manual says to fill to 3.6" from the top but nowhere does it mention how much this will take.
'
Anyone help?
Rusty my 2012 had different amounts for each fork. I guess yours is different. I would measure the oil comming out into a measuring cup. thats how i did it.

·
Premium Member
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rusty my 2012 had different amounts for each fork. I guess yours is different. I would measure the oil comming out into a measuring cup. thats how i did it.
My bikes have the same fork on each side so the oil level and amount are the same. I realize some bikes, like the "R" have different workings in the two down tubes.

Thanks

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Do you have progressive springs?

I took a hanger and measured 5 1/2 and made a bend this is how I know I had enough in the fork.

I used the Screaming Eagle Heavy Duty Oil.
Do not use the extra Heavy Duty.

The fork has to be compressed when adding oil.

Watch the video we did. Link in Sig.

If you are still stock springs then measure hanger to your requirements

·
Premium Member
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have progressive springs?

I took a hanger and measured 5 1/2 and made a bend this is how I know I had enough in the fork.

I used the Screaming Eagle Heavy Duty Oil.
Do not use the extra Heavy Duty.

The fork has to be compressed when adding oil.

Watch the video we did. Link in Sig.

If you are still stock springs then measure hanger to your requirements
I use a hanger also. Service manual says 3.6" for my model. Makes life much simpler. Screamin' Eagle oil (15 wt). The Service manual is my bible when doing stuff like this. Don't trust my memory. It's getting old and decrepit.
Thanks RSC.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
They should both hold the same amount as they are or should be identical in and out.

Different weight oil will give you different reactions. I did Progressive springs and stock weight synthetic. Perfect blend of usable suspension/travel and lack of nose dive IMO. A heavier weight will tighten up the travel more yet.

·
Premium Member
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They should both hold the same amount as they are or should be identical in and out.

Different weight oil will give you different reactions. I did Progressive springs and stock weight synthetic. Perfect blend of usable suspension/travel and lack of nose dive IMO. A heavier weight will tighten up the travel more yet.
Some of the models have different innards and different oil capacities for each.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts