Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to black out my front fork but need to source some fork gaiters. Any specific model suggestions? My forks are already out so I guess it's a matter of diameter and looks.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Looking to black out my front fork but need to source some fork gaiters. Any specific model suggestions? My forks are already out so I guess it's a matter of diameter and looks.
If you don't want see the chrome stanchions, you should consider having them black chromed. Much nicer looking than covering them with gaiters. Obviously more expensive and you would need to strip the legs down, but worth it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thing is I like the rugged look of the gater (I think thats the name, the spring shapped suber cover). I like the normal chrome look, but as all my fork is disassembled, I thought it would hurt to stuff those in and have a little change of looks. For the upper side of the fork I was thinking just powder coat hollow metal tubes.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Thing is I like the rugged look of the gater (I think thats the name, the spring shapped suber cover). I like the normal chrome look, but as all my fork is disassembled, I thought it would hurt to stuff those in and have a little change of looks. For the upper side of the fork I was thinking just powder coat hollow metal tubes.
Yes, gaiter is the name. If you like the look of them then no problem. The hollow tubes as you call them are called stanchions, but be careful powder coating them, you may find they wont go back into the yokes because of the thickness of the powder coat. There are several covers on the market that cover those up and make them look as if they are painted. Also I have seen some people cover them with adhesive PVC . Search on here, I am sure there have been some people on here that have done that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is what I meant, just by a couple tubes with the same diameter and cover the upper part. Just wanted to know the right measure for the gaters, At the bottom do they rest on the "slim" or the thick part of the fork?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yes, that is what I meant, just by a couple tubes with the same diameter and cover the upper part. Just wanted to know the right measure for the gaters, At the bottom do they rest on the "slim" or the thick part of the fork?
Gaiters normally clamp around the lower fork leg. (The thicker aluminium part) otherwise they would move up the sanction when the suspension is compressed. You may find if you remove the chrome dust cover it gives you a nice lipped piece to clamp to.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gaiters normally clamp around the lower fork leg. (The thicker aluminium part) otherwise they would move up the sanction when the suspension is compressed. You may find if you remove the chrome dust cover it gives you a nice lipped piece to clamp to.
Oh! I thought you didnt have to remove anything just slip on and let it rest over the lower fork leg and clip the upper part if they weren't stiff enough.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Oh! I thought you didnt have to remove anything just slip on and let it rest over the lower fork leg and clip the upper part if they weren't stiff enough.
Depends on the type. There may be some out there like that which would just be cosmetic. The normal use for them is to protect the leg and seals from dust and dirt so they would need to be fixed top and bottom. It's possible that cosmetic use ones exist, not sure.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I made some upper fork covers out of pipe and had them PC. Its a bit of work as the trees are angled (2006) so there is a bit of fitting and shaping involved. But for the price they want for them it is worth a bit of work imo.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now it's been a few years since I mounted gaiters on my dx but these seem to fit your bike:

Link:

Thanks, I think I'm buying those.

I made some upper fork covers out of pipe and had them PC. Its a bit of work as the trees are angled (2006) so there is a bit of fitting and shaping involved. But for the price they want for them it is worth a bit of work imo.
Ok, thanks, that might be a problem, I'm sending the triple trees to powder coat on monday, I will need to wait for them, then measure cut or grind the tubes to fit and then back to powder coat again, might be worth it to sttle for vynil wrap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts