Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will happen, when i forget my jiffy after starting? When i drive thrue a curve, will the stand go to the normal drive position or will it touch the street and will loose control over the bike?
Who knows? Teppo

·
Registered
268 Posts
it would actually depend on how quickly you were leaning, whether it would go down fast enough to hit the lock position, or just scrape, and go into place, however i wouldn't try it to see.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Teppo the design of the jiffy stand should let it kick back after it makes light contact. I wouldn't want to test it just to see however.

Max

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have done what you are asking. As just as Max said, the second it made contact it pulled up. The noise will scare the S out of you.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
On my old BSA, it didn't retract. What a bummer that was.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Do it once or twice and you'll have a reason to replace it with a chrome one!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have done the opposite, forgot to put the jiffy stand down when I got off. Trust me…You don’t want to do that either. Not a pleasant experience. Fortunately it was my old bike and not my new V-Rod. I did add a new meaning to the term DUMB A$$. :spank:

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Rick said:
I have done the opposite, forgot to put the jiffy stand down when I got off. Trust me…You don’t want to do that either. Not a pleasant experience. Fortunately it was my old bike and not my new V-Rod. I did add a new meaning to the term DUMB A$$. :spank:
DUUUUDE.......

·
Registered
974 Posts
On Jap bikes it typically flips up
I have seen a number of real bad H-D accidents when you forget the big twin/sporty type jiffy stand.
Never seen a VRSC leave one down yet.
Probably not too good though.
Duc's fly up -------sometimes when you prefer them NOT to have popped up.

BobT

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
On bikes that don't have the two position stand like ours I thought that federal law requires a neutral safety switch be installed but after a cursory search of the DOT website I can't find the regulation. It seems that every bike I've had since the mid '90s that has a kickstand that locks in the down position has had a neutral safety switch that causes the bike to stop when it's put in gear. On the Harley's and other bikes where the stand only locks in the down position when there's weight on them they don't have the switch. I personally think it's a good thing to have on all bikes but that's just my :2cents:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rather than add more unnecessary stuff to the bike----Just remember to put it up yourself. Once the weight is lifted off, the jiffy stand will raise up if it's tapped. I don't think you will have a problem wrecking the bike in a left turn. :2cents:

·
Registered
503 Posts
yes, it would be nice to have an ignition interlock, or indicator light, or warning buzzer, or something like that for the kickstand... but then.. you have to shell out 9000-11,000.00 for a truly well engineered Metric bike to get that..

hey.. I love these things.. but I not so blinded I think they're engineering marvels.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
There are a few electrical gadjets missing from the V-Rod.Kick stand down light or a kick stand down start inhibitor switch.Neutral start only switch.Temp guage. :2cents:

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
'02 V-Rod #1910
29 Posts
It'd be nice if the starter would only work when in neutral or with the clutch disengaged. i've had a few close calls with my 'rod as I've become accustomed to rice burners. I'm sure I'll figure it out one of these days :chair: (hopefully without incident)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts