Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Force Tuning

4K views 62 replies 13 participants last post by  TheBruceMan 
#1 ·
I am getting retuned tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have something to share with you other FORCE pipers. Last time they just dumped a drag bike map in which was great from 7 to 10,000 rpm but not for overall riding. I'm driving across state to " the best " wish me luck.

#7 ·
TheBruceMan said:
OKIE & TBAG,

How do you like your Force shorties? I've been looking for something that won't scrape on the twisties, but will still give me a performance boost. I've already scraped the hell out of the stock pipes.

I love my Force pipes but they are so friggin loud! Its nice to be heard but the ear plug factor is wearing me down.

Maybe I`ll sell you mine in a few months...:sinister:

As for clearance they are pretty good. I`ve never scraped them but then again I`m not much of an aggressive rider.

#9 ·
polizzio said:
OKIE.

Who are you referring to as "the best"? I live between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
Skin at Cajun Harley. He was referred to me by my mechanic Rick.
Rick is in the process of setting up his own shop (with dyno) in Shreveport. Rick has been the top tuner in the area for a while but was stuck behind a desk as the stealers service manager. He won't be up and running till March and he was afraid my map was causing damage. It was running way too rich while cruising getting way too much fuel in the oil. He said it needed imediate attention and said Skin was the only one he would recommend.

#10 ·
What a trip. Never haul a high top enclosed trailer during a downpour terd floater with Micky Thompson street slicks on your truck. Anyway, drove down friday night, got there about two. Some loud ass kids checked in next to me about three. I thought I had talked to Skin the day before and made an appointment with him. He had no idea who I was. Turns out I had talked to Skinner the gm. Oh well, standing by the bike with the key hanging out Skin asks me if I brought my key. UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH huh? The key I HAVE to have to tune your bike. You mean that little wiring harness I got in the kit? Yep. Damn.
Any way, had a buddy going down today and he's taking it. So far nothings gone right but a well tuned bike will make it all worthwhile.

#13 ·
Yes that is a dyno run at the rear wheel. The things stock with Force pipes and high flow filter and race tuner. It had a drag bike map dumped in it that made it awsome at 7 to 10 grand but putting around it ran like duke. Skin has to start from scratch because shreveport harley would not give him the drag map.

#15 ·
122hp?

What kind of dyno? Jesus! 122hp stock with just the pipes and filter :eek: . If it is reproducible on another dyno I'm getting Force pipes STAT even if I don't dig the look of the shorties they'll grow on me, I'll use earplugs. I didn't wanna bother everybody since they say so very loud but at that kind of power how can I refuse?

Here's a graph of what Steve got out of them but I don't know if a PCIIIr or RT was used.

Attachments

#16 ·
Do not forget that there is always a difference one dyno to the next - one day to the next - one type of dyno to the next. Mine produces 102HP dyno tuned - about 12 over stock on a Factory pro eddy dyno - Which the tuners all rave about - but the numbers look weak compared to the happier Dynojet setups. Of course I get weekly feedback at the track - trap speed tells a story - 114.21 with 860 lbs bike and rider as best speed to date. With over 250 passes I can track improvements of various setups. Of course monitoring other variables such as launching, shifting and atmospheric conditions also come into play. The greatest value that I found with the Dyno is the ability to measure fuel/air ratio - although there is potentially some impact of speed - although all of the racers that I know of set it on a dyno and that is it. No real track adjustments. One last observation from the track - the VRod does not track to atmospheric changes according to the computer programs - and I can not explain that - I have run from .98 to 1.06 SAE HP correction factors and my experience is that it changes about half as much as the computers predict - for adjusted tiimes. What that translates on the dyno or track is that if you are in really bad air the actual performance improvement compared to the predicted improvement will be understated. This holds true going from one track to another - less impact than predicted - I ran at 5 tracks this year - mine is notorious bad air track - and went to the good air tracks and again much less improvement than computer predicted. Lucy to pick up more than .2 or so from best to worse - hot and humid to cool and dry. Tail/Head winds - that is another story altogether...
Kevin

#17 ·
By the way - the setup that I use has 12.8 AF ratio as well as ignition advance - with each cylinder map baselined and then overall fuel/air map set to desired ratio with the race tuner. It has been optimized for performance vs. milage etc....

#18 ·
TheBruceMan said:
122 HP Okie? That's bitchin'! I'm lookin' forward to seeing what your map looks like!
Me too. The bad thing is after he made that run he had to wipe the map and start over. Shreveport Harley dumped that map in and claims they no longer have it. And theres no way of retreiving info from the race tuner (that sucks).Skins building his own and said he was back up to 119. Tony at Shreveport did tell me his map was just fuel/air.

Hope he gets that other 3 back.

Skin did say these pipes suck at midrange. I told him do the best he can.

#19 ·
eduarprmd said:
What kind of dyno? Jesus! 122hp stock with just the pipes and filter :eek: . If it is reproducible on another dyno I'm getting Force pipes STAT even if I don't dig the look of the shorties they'll grow on me, I'll use earplugs. I didn't wanna bother everybody since they say so very loud but at that kind of power how can I refuse?

Here's a graph of what Steve got out of them but I don't know if a PCIIIr or RT was used.
It's a Dynojet. I'm running Force longs maybe the added length makes a difference? I like the looks better also. The noise doesn't bother me, added length? I do where a full face also.
http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2096&stc=1

Attachments

#22 ·
OKIE said:
Yes that is a dyno run at the rear wheel. The things stock with Force pipes and high flow filter and race tuner. It had a drag bike map dumped in it that made it awsome at 7 to 10 grand but putting around it ran like duke. Skin has to start from scratch because shreveport harley would not give him the drag map.
10K redline?????? Let's see the graphs because I don't buy those numbers with just Force Pipes. Sorry, but no one else is seeing numbers this high and there's some pretty good tuners out there.

BTW Kevin, take that 102 hp Factory Pro number and multiply it by 1.15, that's what a DynoJet 200/250 will read. (I checked it and it's withing 0.1hp) = 117.3 hp. Very nice, best I saw was 101hp on the Factory Pro.

#23 ·
I hope your not saying what I think you are

mjw930 said:
10K redline?????? Let's see the graphs because I don't buy those numbers with just Force Pipes. Sorry, but no one else is seeing numbers this high and there's some pretty good tuners out there.

BTW Kevin, take that 102 hp Factory Pro number and multiply it by 1.15, that's what a DynoJet 200/250 will read. (I check it and it's withing 0.1hp) = 117.3 hp. Very nice, best I saw was 101hp on the Factory Pro.
I have no reason to lie. As soon as I get the sheets they will be posted. I'm just sharing the info I'm getting. Is my tuner lieing? I don't see why he would.
The rev limiter was set at over 11 grand on the first map.

#24 ·
OKIE said:
I have no reason to lie. As soon as I get the sheets they will be posted. I'm just sharing the info I'm getting. Is my tuner lieing? I don't see why he would.
Hold On, I guess I didn't say what I was thinking.....

I'm not saying anyone's lying just that there has to be more to this story than has been presented so far since no one else in the whole v-rod community has seen these kind of numbers with any pipe combo on a regular basis, certainly not with any 2 into 2 pipe.

It's probably something as simple as dyno calibration or SAE correction factors being out of spec.

Again, I'm not calling anyone a lier, just looking for more information. Who knows, you may have found the perfect combination of parts and tuner.

#25 ·
I did lie. I just got off the phone with Skin. It was 121 and he's faxing the sheet within the hour. It will probably take me about that to scan it and post it (hope not).
He was said he thought his machine may have been off after this run but it checked out fine.
Maybe I'm just lucky . :460:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.