Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my drag bars on my 06D for a while, but have been riding with the cables pinched up through the trees.

What length cables do I need to do it correctly?

Where is the best place to get nice looking blacked out cables?

When I ask for the best place I mean most economical and quickest.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
I simply bought DX cables from Zanotti's.

Then I removed the bars an sold the cables to a member for a good price.

Now I am thinking I want drag bars again! :)

I really like the way they look, but my lower back was killing me on any long ride.

Looks or function? I want both!

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Well, to be totally honest, I never installed them.
So I can't tell you from experience about fit.
But the DX has drag bars on it, so I figured they should have been a good fit.

·
Sorry, danny1130
670 Posts
Actually, the cables Mikep sold me are the same length as my B cables. However, I haven't istalled 'em yet, so it was a rough measurement. They'll be installed later this winter, as my old ones have started to fray anyway.

According to my local stealership, Harley doesn't make shorter cables(????)

d

PS thanks again mike!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
My dealer told me the cables on a fatboy were shorter ..... Not saying its true, Just saying its what the suggested.

I stayed with my factory cables.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
dannyvrod said:
Actually, the cables Mikep sold me are the same length as my B cables. However, I haven't istalled 'em yet, so it was a rough measurement. They'll be installed later this winter, as my old ones have started to fray anyway.

According to my local stealership, Harley doesn't make shorter cables(????)

d

PS thanks again mike!

Only difference I was told when I was talking to barnett's for my cables was the sheath on the b cables was shorter, there is more wire showing in other words, but they are the same length as A models. Order your cables from barnetts It was only around 100 bucks for braided. I have v-mod drag bars, I think it's stock length -2 inch, double check with lonnie, or rj

·
Lifetime Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nic_a_bod said:
Only difference I was told when I was talking to barnett's for my cables was the sheath on the b cables was shorter, there is more wire showing in other words, but they are the same length as A models. Order your cables from barnetts It was only around 100 bucks for braided. I have v-mod drag bars, I think it's stock length -2 inch, double check with lonnie, or rj
Would you happen to have part numbers?

·
Banned
787 Posts
DJ,
I already told you how my dragbars are setup and yours look like they are shorter than mine but I used these S.S. throttle cables on mine and they fit perfectly. By the way, got them on ebay for $42. My stock A cable worked but I had to re-route them more forward to make them not bind. When I had the opportunity to replace them with the S.S. ones, these were available.

Genuine Harley-Davidson Stainless Steel Throttle & Idle Cable

Condition: Brand new in factory sealed bag.

Description: Get custom looks and toughness by upgrading your Original Equipment black cables to braided stainless steel. Take a close look at Harley-Davidson® cables and you'll see why they should be your custom choice. Manufactured to Original Equipment specifications, Harley-Davidson full extension Stainless Steel Braided Cables are designed for a fit and finish second to none. The smooth, consistent stainless steel braiding and extruded clear Teflon® outer jacket show the attention to quality that is carried over to the internal cable design. Teflon cable lubrication rewards you with smooth action, and high quality boots and Zinc Chromate fittings ensure long-lasting performance.

Material: Stainless Steel

Fits: '04-later VRSCB and '06 VRSCR models.

P/N: 56611-04

Original MSRP: $118.95 $$SAVE$$

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Barnett makes the throttle cables for Harley,so I was told.
Look at the Barnett site http://www.barnettclutches.com/prod...bles_harley_assembly&cruiser=&model=&vintage=
Call and talk to them.On most cables and lines you have to specify how many inches shorter you need,they probably already know if you don't.Tell them the application,get a part # and order them through your favorite distributor.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
When I got my Barnett Cables they were ordered like this: "2003 V-Rod minus 2 inches."

·
Lifetime Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, I will give it a shot tomorrow.

What do I need to do with the brake and clutch, just re-route?

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
mikep said:
The DX bars are actually "Cafe" bars, higher than drag bars by about 2".

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mikep said:
the dx doesnt have a drag bar stock.... if you actually install a drag bar on a DX you will need cables 2" shorter

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
IMO you can re-route things as the stock D cables and DX cables are near exact same in length....if you want black you would go with DX cables,but I think re-route is cheaper..and Im cheap!..lol

Dan

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
you can definitely re route them, I went from stock AW bars to drag bars bolted to the triple tree directly and rerouted my cables as well.

I definitely need to get a custom brake cable but I havent gotten around to doing it yet

1 - 20 of 24 Posts