1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Chad
263 Posts
Sweet price. I never had a problem with Dunlops until I bought a set of Avon Cobras. I just could not believe a brand change could make so much of a difference, but it did! I put them on just before Sturgis. Put over a 1000 miles on them in the Black Hills and they out performed the Dunlops(3 Stugis trips) like night and day! At any price I would stay away form the Dunlops!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Been reading this forum for 3+ years and can't recall anyone putting a Dunlop tire back on their bike for any reason regardless of price. Good luck.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Since I believe the weight is the issue, I'm hoping my new lightweight Muscle wheel will be a similar revelation.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
No thanx!
I don't understand buying a bike like this and skimping on tires! I would pay $300 per if it meant greater control and FUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I will look for the posts, but what is the difference in performance? When we say they outperformed the Dunlop (obviously I still have stock, just want to understand more...)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I will look for the posts, but what is the difference in performance?
If there is a weight difference (reduction) it will reduce the steering inertia and unsprung weight for better handling...Dunlop's aside from their inconsistant quality (IMO - I have had to change 2 due to cupping) are inherently a hard composite. On a bike like the V-rod they are not up to the task from a traction perspective...especially when pushed a bit. The Metzlers & Avons have much better grip. So in short its all about grip & handling. I only have about 250 miles on my new F and I will be swapping out the tires probably before the bike hits 1k.

·
911Punisher
129 Posts
The Dunlops on the V-Rod are dangerously non-grippy! You won't understand until you're in the rain and spinning the back tire riding fully upright in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear OR taking a right turn from a stop giving it a lil' throttle and yer ass end virtually slides out from under ya OR trying to make an emergency stop and slide instead of stop. I've gone with the Metz 260 and the Avon cobra 240, try anything .... but do yourself a favor and ditch the DunSlops! Consider Dunlops TRAINING WHEELS!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have noticed a bit of slip in curves and thought I missed seeing the gravel. New tires here I come.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dunflops suck for traction exspecially in the rain like someone said. My ATV came with stock set of Dunflops on it also and they sucked as well, same issue no traction.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I will look for the posts, but what is the difference in performance? When we say they outperformed the Dunlop (obviously I still have stock, just want to understand more...)
I think the Dunlops are relatively soft compound, so ought to be grippy and relatively short lived. So far so good - long life tyres may sound like a lovely idea, but while their life may be long, yours may be short...

However, they are very heavy, and especially in 240 form the weight seems to just overwhelm the V-Rod's rather crude suspension. The result is very short life (because they are sliding a lot), odd wear patterns (ditto), and naff all grip (ditto). Also that extra weight on the already overweight rear wheel is sapping power.

So they're not very good. I was delighted when I changed tyres and found the V-Rod is not the gripless wonder I feared.

I think you have to put this in perspective though. If you don't push them they are OK. But if you ride hard they will wear out fast and in odd ways, and scare you in the process.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Like shocks on a truck that slowly wear out, you really don't understand how bad they are until you put new ones on and it feels like you have a brand new truck. Dunlops are the same way. You wont realize how bad they really are until you run something else, then it will be glaringly obvious.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Like shocks on a truck that slowly wear out, you really don't understand how bad they are until you put new ones on and it feels like you have a brand new truck. Dunlops are the same way. You wont realize how bad they really are until you run something else, then it will be glaringly obvious.
This is a Horribly True statement and I actually find myself in conversation with people disagreeing with me (mostly Pascal) who will sit and Stubbornly make statements about How great the tires are etc... Than I remember They never Had any other Brand of tire, so in turn, they are talking out their asses. Quite a Few people do that around here actually, They LOve the Smell of Ass apparently because the talk out their so often. A while back there was an argument about the state of Los Angeles (yes many thing CA is All Los Angeles and its All Hollywood Blvd) and this went back and forth fr a few days and I finally asked "Ok what part of CA sis you stay in that you came to this conclusion" Turns, the Dim Wit never came anywhere near CA, closets was Las Vegas, Her BF had Stayed Here for a few months in Riverside (aka The Inland Empire" aka Crack Alley) and watches alot of TV.
Than there is also the Few around here that "Claim" they are the Best Tires because they are MAde in the USA and That HD puts them on the bikes and they know best. All you do next is ask them Why they changed out their Seats if HD is the so concerned? They shut up after that.

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly I think most of the people that claim such a difference going with the avons or metzlers when they switch really have no clue what they are talking about and are just praising tires because everyone else is praising them and about 10% of those riding out there actually have the exp and talent to push the tires.

You ride flat straight roads all the time and you gonna get a cupped front tire.

I havent had the problems I hear of in the rain. Try better throttle control.

Will I try other tires? Yes. Are the current Dunlops capable tires? Yes. Are they the best choice for this bike and my style of riding? Don't know yet.

And yes over decades of riding I have had experience with just about every brand out there and they all screw up a tire once in a while.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Honestly I think most of the people that claim such a difference going with the avons or metzlers when they switch really have no clue what they are talking about and are just praising tires because everyone else is praising them and about 10% of those riding out there actually have the exp and talent to push the tires.

You ride flat straight roads all the time and you gonna get a cupped front tire.

Will I try other tires? Yes. Are the current Dunlops capable tires? Yes. Are they the best choice for this bike and my style of riding? Don't know yet.

And yes over decades of riding I have had experience with just about every brand out there and they all screw up a tire once in a while.
Than I would be interested in your findings. Pascal? He can burn in hell with His advice. I am going to email him that right now.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I understand what you're talking about. The I spent a bunch of money so my brain tells me it was a good thing syndrome. It's common, I agree.

But.....

You can take two things to the bank concernign the V-Rod. Tires and suspension. You really can't understand how HORRIBLE the stock pieces are until after you've caved in and replaced them. Good rider, bad rider, 2 hour a month rider, doesn't matter. Those two things will completely redefine the V-Rod if you upgrade them and it's so obvious what a massive improvement it is that you'll literally say "wow!" The suspension part I was skeptical about myself, but now if I bought a new V-Rod I'd probably keep it parked until I replaced the suspension, it would be the absolute first thing that I'd change out.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I understand what you're talking about. The I spent a bunch of money so my brain tells me it was a good thing syndrome. It's common, I agree.

But.....

You can take two things to the bank concernign the V-Rod. Tires and suspension. You really can't understand how HORRIBLE the stock pieces are until after you've caved in and replaced them. Good rider, bad rider, 2 hour a month rider, doesn't matter. Those two things will completely redefine the V-Rod if you upgrade them and it's so obvious what a massive improvement it is that you'll literally say "wow!"
I will say that the Dunplops Did make me a Better rider though. This being my 1st Ever Bike the Bike came with Dunlops on them that had 70% life left on them. getting on the grooved Highway was a lesson in skating, the canyons roads where like Ice, even on a 90 degree day and the few times in the rain or late night rides home with dew on the streets where a Lesson in engine braking I could have never learned in a classroom. I kept these tires for 9-10 months (8-10k in miles)and Learned how to ride with them on the bike because I didn't know any better, When I switched to Metz I had No idea what I was in for, it was a Completely NEw Experience. These Tires I had though Where the Old Style Dunlops that came on the Original VRSCA's, I noticed the Rain Groove is gone now and the rear tires are 240's etc... so when I talk about Dunlops I speak of the originals, they appear to have Changed them a bit since than.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts

Will I try other tires? Yes. Are the current Dunlops capable tires? Yes. Are they the best choice for this bike and my style of riding? Don't know yet. And yes over decades of riding I have had experience with just about every brand out there and they all screw up a tire once in a while.
:them: I changed away from the Dunlops because of the cupping of the front tire. I always got more miles out of the front than the back on my previous bikes, so expected the same on the V-rod. But, because once the tire is cupped I could feel the lack of traction and hold in the corners, I changed both every time.

I think the Dunlops are perfectly good tires until they get some miles on them and the front begins to cup. You can't push any V-rod but an "R" model hard enough to really test the tires anyway; dragging the radiator cowlings, frame, pipes, etc. do nothing for tire performance.

Since I switched to Metzelers, I have no more cupping, and I get about 2000 miles more out of the rear, and can run the front 5000 miles farther than the rear. Because there's no cupping, even a worn front feels stable in the turns

·
911Punisher
129 Posts
Whoever says use better throttle control in the rain with dunlops hasn't been in the rain with dunlops on! Enough said.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts