Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I know,I know..apes?
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200 metz and have never had a problem with the brackets scrubbing, even 2up. While in Sturgis, we started scrubbing. I already cut the tabs off, but now the lip scrubs. I guess my shocks are wearing out.

I'm going to order some 12" progressives soon. I was going to grind the bracket's lips off, but my question is:
Should I just remove them altogether?
Will I lose any strength/rigidity in my rear fender? I don't want to be unsafe with my cargo (passenger, etc...).

For those of you have done either, advice is needed. Thanks!

·
American Rice
2,469 Posts
I just removed the bracket and have 12" progressive.
No problems.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
There has been some discussion on this, some feel that it is fine and have had no problems, others point out that those brackets are in fact 'rear fender supports' and do add some strength rigidity to the arse end. I have a how to in the how to section about grinding it.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52955
I have ground quite a bit off of mine and and they still rub on the left side, just taking off the very outer lip of the tire. This winter will call for a new tire and I will have to decide whether to go to a 180 again or grind some more and hope. It now appears to be just hitting on the left side on one of the nuts/bolts that hold the D/A to the support I think it is clearing everything else. But there in lies the problem I really have not loaded her up again since the last grind to verify how much it is still gonna rub if at all. I love the 200 but also like having the ability to throw the saddle bags on for the extra carry capacity sometimes.

P.S. IMHO it does add some strength and i'd rather keep them on. How much it adds I do not know.

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
thumbsupracing said:
I have had no issues with everything removed.
:them: The saddlebag supports don't provide support for cargo or passenger, the frame actually comes out to do that. You'll see when you take the fender off.

·
I know,I know..apes?
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys! My main problem is that I don'thave a lift to get to those inner-most bolts past the shock bolts. I was thinking of just cutting the whole bottom lip off from the outside of the bracket. I will be installing a sidemount, so that should solve the DA part.
I know they don't support the passenger, but the fender itself will only be held by the 4 screws on the frame (one of mine is messed up also...screw will not go in far).

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
You dont have to have a lift to remove the brackets, it does make it easier, I will tell you that, but It can be done with out one. Just have patience.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
mmcc100 said:
Thanks Guys! My main problem is that I don'thave a lift to get to those inner-most bolts past the shock bolts. I was thinking of just cutting the whole bottom lip off from the outside of the bracket. I will be installing a sidemount, so that should solve the DA part.
I know they don't support the passenger, but the fender itself will only be held by the 4 screws on the frame (one of mine is messed up also...screw will not go in far).
Three bolts are plenty to hold the fender on. Get a lift from somewhere and take those brackets off altogether.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts