Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For guys with low mileage examples:

The Rs were one of the primary bikes with the issue of the water pump shaft bolt coming loose within the first 10,000 miles. When the bolt comes loose on this cam drive shaft sprocket, you will loose water pump drive and oil pressure to the top of the motor. Many (if not all) were not properly torqued from the factory.

Symptom is an overheat light for no apparent reason. If you get a hot light DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE, EVEN AFTER COOLING OFF as you have also lost top end oil pressure, but will have no indication of this.

You can preempt the issue by pulling the left side engine cover off, pulling the bolt in the sprocket directly opposite the center of your water pump, giving everything a good clean, apply red locktite, and properly torque the bolt with a quality torque wrench. Once installed correctly the issue will not come back. It's a one time fix.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very good information for the "R" club. Thanks for posting! Any additional hints/tips are greatly appreciated for some of us newbies.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good information for the "R" club. Thanks for posting! Any additional hints/tips are greatly appreciated for some of us newbies.
Don't lower it,
Don't wide tire it,
When you rotors start pulsing buy replacement rotors from EBC,
Don't take the feelers off your foot pegs. If you do the next things to touch are header and radiator shrouds.
If it doesn't already have one, install a slipper clutch.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
Is this problem only related to the R?
The Triple sprocket bolt ? No it applies to all the early models (and won't hurt to check the new ones.)

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
At 23K+ miles my R is still running fine so I guess I lucked out of the T/S bolt problem, although it's been haunting me for the last 12K miles. Will report on what I find when I open the engine up soon - I bought a new bolt just in case it is loose, cheap insurance on a new engine build.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't lower it,
Don't wide tire it,
When you rotors start pulsing buy replacement rotors from EBC,
Don't take the feelers off your foot pegs. If you do the next things to touch are header and radiator shrouds.
If it doesn't already have one, install a slipper clutch.
Thanks again for the input. Was lowered when purchased, YS Shocks w/1" lowering kit, forks dropped in the trees. Already replaced the foot pegs, no scrape (obviously not riding too aggressive) hence the desire for the wide tire. Understood the handling will be affected, but already owned the "B" and slammed the "DX" after installing a 280. Personal opinion, the rake is the biggest handling feature of the "R". 1" lower seems to be about right for me. Slipper clutch is on order, tried to get the '07 bars from Ronnie's, discontinued.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,207 Posts
Look at the Nightster bars (say 2010 or so)-- as I recall, they were pretty close to the 2007 R bars.

I could be wrong, but it's something to research-- I remember seeing that somewhere after I'd already put on the 2007 bars.

Bear in mind that pretty much any bars you get will require new clutch & brake cables. The 2007 bars were easy as you could just get the 2007 clutch and brake lines.

You can also have your dealer do a global search if you have the part number. There are still a few unicorns out there gathering dust on dealer parts shelves.

Good luck!

R.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
Not true ,they've done several recalls in the past. Including some on the VRSC line.

The slipper clutch is an upgrade,not a necessity. Although it is one on my list of things to eventually have done.

Note to self -Buy the damned thing before H-D makes it obsolete.:hidesbeh:

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Ordered one last night. Continuing the search for ‘07 bars and better tars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi buddy just wondering how much the slipper set you back, im here in Oz to scared to ask the stealers here,ha ha ha any info would be great.

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
It was 260.00 USD from Harley, didn't see any place else to get one. It's listed as an upgrade under the Screamin' Eagle V-rod.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,207 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks for the information brother ,but get this Harley Davidson wont let its dealers ship to Australia what a crock of [email protected]#t ,and they wonder why their losing money not happy Harley ,that was all three links .Ps, and they said wont sell to anyone that will ship it over here WTF.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,207 Posts
Well, I'd offer to ship it to Oz for you (I get a pretty hefty discount through FedEx), but by the time it's all said and done, it would probably work out about the same.

R.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Agree with everything but slipper clutch. I love the tranny on these bikes smooth as butter and frankly rarely use the clutch or rear brake. Does create problems for knuckle heads that follow too closely. A chirp and brief lockup are the reality of feeling the natural limits of traction, just like the feelers. Those that migrate from dirt to street will likely have a greater comfort zone.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Funny stuff pjoo7 ! when I first started riding street after 25 years of riding and racing off road my buddy riding behind me asked me what I was doing leaving thin black skid marks off the back tire going into every corner - I didn't even realize I was doing that - it's just how you " back it in " to the corner and steer with the back brake, stuff it in a berm and gas it out off road. I have since matured my way out of most of that but I've found the back brake very useful especially in the mountains where it can be used to trim final corner speed and get the bike to drop in the corner and turn without upsetting the set of the bike (like the front brake can) at the last minute. I can't wait to feel what the slipper will do for my bike though but I still have to install it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts