Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have chrome and rubber footpegs, and whenever I ride for more than 5 minutes on of the passenger pegs keeps coming down from it's upright position. I don't see how to tighten these. Any help out there?
Thanks,

·
Scott
492 Posts
vrod_knight said:
There are spring washers on each side of the peg. You have to replace them for the problem to go away .:banghead: BUT, IT"LL BE BACK!!!
No you don't...same thing happen to me and I fixed it today. Go to Checkers or AutoZone. Get a Powerbuilt (@ Checkers) Combination Snap Ring Pliers part #648598 - you'll need this pliers to preserve your sanity. You'll also need a scotchpad, some WD-40, a needle nose pliers and a regular pliers.

Use the Combination pliers to take the retaining pin off - Keep it!!

Slowly pull the passenger peg off noting how the D-spring washer is situated.

Spray all areas and parts with WD-40 and use the Scotchpad to clean the rust off and a shop rag to dry everything.

Carefully bend (only slightly) the D-spring washer with the needle nose and regular pliers.

Replace the spring washer (bent side up) underneath the peg extension into the bracket, lining all up and then replace the Clevis pin into the hole.

Hold the retaining pin with the needle noze pliers the push pin back in.

Waala! Fixed.

·
Benevolent Architect
786 Posts
devlpr said:
No you don't...same thing happen to me and I fixed it today. Go to Checkers or AutoZone. Get a Powerbuilt (@ Checkers) Combination Snap Ring Pliers part #648598 - you'll need this pliers to preserve your sanity. You'll also need a scotchpad, some WD-40, a needle nose pliers and a regular pliers.

Use the Combination pliers to take the retaining pin off - Keep it!!

Slowly pull the passenger peg off noting how the D-spring washer is situated.

Spray all areas and parts with WD-40 and use the Scotchpad to clean the rust off and a shop rag to dry everything.

Carefully bend (only slightly) the D-spring washer with the needle nose and regular pliers.

Replace the spring washer (bent side up) underneath the peg extension into the bracket, lining all up and then replace the Clevis pin into the hole.

Hold the retaining pin with the needle noze pliers the push pin back in.

Waala! Fixed.

:thumb: Thanks Dude! I'll try that.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Use two (2) D-Ring washers instead of one (1).

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was going to ask the same question..

I put on the chrome and rubber type and ever since then they only stay up for about a minute berfore going down:D

·
Scott
492 Posts
tray said:
Use two (2) D-Ring washers instead of one (1).
Good suggestion Tray...I agree.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
i got my d washers and squashed them in the vice a little bit,,,found that easier than trying with pliers,,,,

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Here is the easiest fix for dropping passenger pegs. Loctite (blue). Just put the pegs in the upright position and put a few drops of Loctite on the pin. Wipe off the extra and they stay up after it sets. You can't see any blue stuff or anything. If you have a passenger just work the pegs loose for a second and you are good to go. I do this when the wifey wants to go for a ride and then reapply the Loctite when I put the bike away. Works great.

·
Scott
492 Posts
bwds said:
i got my d washers and squashed them in the vice a little bit,,,found that easier than trying with pliers,,,,
No...don't squash them...don't flatten them out. You need to put the bend back into them!!

·
brett
9,338 Posts
lol,,,,no i ment squash them in the vice to enhance the bend,not to squash them flat..if you apply the pressure in the vice the bend gets bigger,they start to fold in halve so only do it a little bit,,,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts