Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

First post so please be gentle!!

I've just got a 2015 VRSCDX Night Rod (and it looks and sounds lovely!)

A long story short, the dealer has fitted the following foot pegs...

54046-12 Clevis, Reduced-Reach, Black

These foot pegs come out of the peg axle and sweep back a little over an inch, thus reducing leg room. From looking at photos of other Night Rods and Muscles, I think that the pegs are reduced reach (as the name suggests!). The other photos I have seen indicate another peg assembly which comes straight out of the axle. The HD dealer assures me that these are standard fit though and that there is no other HD footpeg available for my bike.

I'm 6'5" and a bit more leg room would be good. Can anyone tell me what the standard peg looks like please? Anyone know any parts numbers that I can point the dealer to?

I've had a very good search online and can see a few posts relating to extended reach footpegs (which I may end up getting), but as these are hundreds of dollars, I don't want to buy them without really trying out the standard fit HD pegs first.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers

Lee

Attachments

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
Take the reduced reach pegs and swap them side for side, it's an old trick to gain 1.5 inches of additional legroom over stock. All of us tall people have been doing that for years.

·
VRSCDXA Owner
459 Posts
From 2012 the part of the frame where the foot pegs and controls mount was changed and the only Harley option is what it comes fitted with.

As LL Cool K says, you can remove the standard parts and switch sides with them and rotating the curved part 180 deg and refitting the standard foot pegs to the brackets.

If thats not enough you need to open your wallet for different options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I've had a good look at turning them round and feel that the angle to the brake and gear shift will be too acute if I do that.

Had a good stretch out and it does feel so much different. And better! Looks like I will be splashing some cash on a new set of forward controls before long.

Appreciate the recommendations everyone. Thank you.

Lee

·
The F
449 Posts
Thanks guys!

I've had a good look at turning them round and feel that the angle to the brake and gear shift will be too acute if I do that.

Had a good stretch out and it does feel so much different. And better! Looks like I will be splashing some cash on a new set of forward controls before long.

Appreciate the recommendations everyone. Thank you.

Lee

There are many write ups on the swap. It also involves grinding some of the break pedal down underneath to change its position, and you can change the shift rod position by adjusting where it connects to the spline or something. It's been a while so I slightly forgot how it goes for the shift Rod but that is the easiest part. Brake pedal side you just need to dremel it out, takes time but not hard either. I'm 6'3" and it was well worth the work.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I hope they didn't charge you extra for the reduced reach!

I make a full kit that moves the entire assembly out 3.75" from stock location:

You can check it out on my website at http://www.alteredstatedesign.net

-Keith

·
Registered
29 Posts
After u have turned the elbows around and grinded out the little lug. Swap the pegs from side to side. I had to grind a bit off the end of the shift rod so I could screw it in far enough to bring the gear shift lever forward to where it was comfy for me .

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
9 Posts
I just put these Kuryakyn Iso pegs in the flipped position on my 2014 DX. I can throw my heels on the inverted stirrups for extra stretch and they are much sturdier under the feet than the stock pegs. These pegs were a takeoff highway peg from my old FLHXI, so I basically did this in 10 minutes for free. Pegs and mounts can be had for about $100 I believe. Great ROI in comfort value. ImageUploadedByMO Free1456521182.839436.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1456521199.601796.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1456521213.922439.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
I suggest spending the extra $$$ and going with altered state design extensions, the best investment you will make. I did mine after I had enough of cramping up on rides and have never looked back. Keith hooked me up with toe pegs and matched the foot pegs as well. No mods needed for the bike, just remove old setup and install the new.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ordered a set of the 4" slayer controls that Keith at Altered States Design just came out with. Pics are posted on the general forum and this forum as well. Really comfy and totally changes the dynamics of the bike....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just put these Kuryakyn Iso pegs in the flipped position on my 2014 DX. I can throw my heels on the inverted stirrups for extra stretch and they are much sturdier under the feet than the stock pegs. These pegs were a takeoff highway peg from my old FLHXI, so I basically did this in 10 minutes for free. Pegs and mounts can be had for about $100 I believe. Great ROI in comfort value. View attachment 464506 View attachment 464514 View attachment 464522

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sorry for off topic question, IIWD, where did you get the windscreen that is pictured one your bike? Looking for options that are nearly invisible with black hardware like yours. Is it effective from 80-100mph? Just looking for something to take the edge off at highest highway speeds. Thx.

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
9 Posts
Sorry for off topic question, IIWD, where did you get the windscreen that is pictured one your bike? Looking for options that are nearly invisible with black hardware like yours. Is it effective from 80-100mph? Just looking for something to take the edge off at highest highway speeds. Thx.
I ordered the windscreen from a guy in Arkansas, if I remember correctly, but I cannot remember who. However, I did find it on Amazon as well. The brand is Slipstreamer. The link is to the exact one I have on my bike. Hope this helps!
:angeldev:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I highly suggest Keith’s forward controls. They changed my riding experience for the better. Can’t imagine the bike without it. I’m 6’3 and I am much more comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts