Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Foot control adjustments or options??

My 2011 VRSCDX is great and all, but The foot controls are a bit uncomfortable.

I need to have both of the controls (shifter and brake) both rotated forward and down at the same time which could be accomplished just from rotating it (the shifter anyways). I have to really pull my toes back to shift way too far. And the brake, I pretty much have to swing my foot off the peg to get the pad under my toes..

I could take the rod off and cut and weld to make to shorter, but I wa hoping for a better solution.

Has anyone had this problem, or am I some sort of freak???

I'm 6'4" if that makes a difference...

Thanks..Kevin

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
the shifter rod should have "some" adjustment. i'm guessing about 3/8 of an inch either way. if that doesn't work maybe you can take the shifter lever off and turn it a few notchs? if it has a wide spline it might not be possible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Brake is the bigger problem. I believe I can adjust the shifter enough, but the brake is going to be more of a problem. i can't get on top of the petal without lifting my foot off the peg. Its just not going to work this way. I am looking at the whole petal and wondering if i could slice the pivot area and then"clock it so it fits me and then have it re-welded at work... I could then grind down the weld and polish it or just paint it...

Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Regarding the PM i sent, If you look at the position of the foot peg its 35mm higher than the standard peg and makes braking and gear changing much easier, to test this out, put a 35mm piece of wood on to your pegs with a couple of tie grips and take the bike out for a run.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Yeah for the brake you don't have much adjustment. On mine (2002) you can adjust it but it doesn't do much. I have seen the cutting and rewelding thing done and it looks like it does the trick. The problem is with long legs your knee is bent a ton so it brings your toes down. If you had short legs your leg would be straight and the pegs would be in the right position.

-Keith

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you look up this item on e-bay, No 200575514892 they are well made and of very good quality and should sort out your problem. I had exactly the same issues as yourself and fitted a set of these on my 2010 Night Rod, what a difference.

Bulldog

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Email [email protected] he is a member here and makes control extensions that are wicked looking and functional. I got a set made for me with a custom design and when they got to me they were all beat up from rough shipping and he made everything right very promptly.I am only 6 foot with shoes and his extensions moved everything forward 3" and up 1" to give me the streched out hunched over (rizoma bars) look I was going for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to tag into this thread as well. I have an '08 DX and have only had it a short while. So far, the biggest problem I have with comfort is that my feet seem cramped. Which is weird because I'm only 5'10", with legs that are average length (wear 32" long pants). I can reach the controls just fine, but I feel like I would be more comfortable if I had the controls maybe an inch or two further away. Especially the rear brake, because I have to ride with my foot sitting off the peg at a 45 degree angle out so that I can lift the toe easily and swing over to the brake.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Bulldozer I was the same way as you and I also have an 08 dx. I am about 5-11 without shoes and did not like the way my feet were or the way it seemed my knees were too bent. I am more about the look but also as this is my first bike ever I am not used to anything else, so streched out and hunched over feels fine to me!!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
OK. If you have less than a 34 inseam, fit reduced reach peg mounts. If you have greater than that, reverse them. Makes the controls fit way better! You might have a slight bend at the knee, but the feet and ankles will thank you!!! Joe

·
Registered
658 Posts
OK. If you have less than a 34 inseam, fit reduced reach peg mounts. If you have greater than that, reverse them. Makes the controls fit way better! You might have a slight bend at the knee, but the feet and ankles will thank you!!! Joe
Hi CPT
Wouldn't reversing the peg mounts make the problem worse for tall riders?
I'm 6'4" and when I test rode a V-Rod I found that I too had to lift my foot off the peg to use the brake.
I assumed that the new bike (arriving this week) would just need to be adjusted to suit but that now doesn't seem the case.
Reach to pegs for me is fine it's just the brake and gearchange issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,
For those of you who have to lift your foot off the peg to reach the brake or change gear then you have to increase the height of the footrests to the position that works for you, this is the easiest and cheapest mod.
I have a 2010 Night Rod and had to take either foot completely off the pegs to change gears or brake and my feet are'nt small, so I raised the pegs 35mm with extensions and was able to work the levers easily.

Bulldog

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all,
For those of you who have to lift your foot off the peg to reach the brake or change gear then you have to increase the height of the footrests to the position that works for you, this is the easiest and cheapest mod.
I have a 2010 Night Rod and had to take either foot completely off the pegs to change gears or brake and my feet are'nt small, so I raised the pegs 35mm with extensions and was able to work the levers easily.

Bulldog
I think the easiest and cheapest route for me to get the petal down is to take the brake lever off, cut the shaft and rotate the petal down to were I fit it and re-weld it. I don't see any reason why that won't work so I think that's what I am going to try. I can get another lever if I screw it up for less than 30 bucks, so its worth a shot... I will just grind down the welds and re-polish the aluminum. No-one will ever know...LOL

The shifter was an easy fix, i just shortened the rod going back to the transmission about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch...MUCH Better!!

·
George
5,411 Posts
Hate to dredge this old thread up, but I was wondering the outcome of the cut/weld/polish job?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts