Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that safety is an issue to a lot of you and I was wondering what you guys/gals think of installing fog/passing lights on a V-Rod, and was wondering if anyone had done so yet? My wife has an 03 Low Rider and to improve her visibility we installed a set of passing lights on the triple tree next to the headlight. They look good and you can really see her coming down the road.

Here is a link to them off HD web page: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302289163&bmUID=1072799698167&bmLocale=en_US

Can our alternator handle the additional lights? I did go with the DrHeathenScum’s taillight and turn signal combo and I can tell you they work great at night to get those tailgaters off your butt. I have also combined them with a set of Hyper Lights that I mounted on the dog ass next to the license plate. As a matter of fact I hit the brakes yesterday morning :sinister: when a cager was riding my tail, They dropped back 10-12 car lengths, after I used the flash bulb lights (brake light, turn signals and hyper lights went off in their eyes :cool: Damn my eyes, gota love it) to let them know they were too close.

Thanks for your :2cents ,

Dave
:cool: Full tank of gas, half pack of cigarettes its dark and we're wearing sun glasses :cool:

·
2,552 Posts
VA V-Rod,

MAN those lights are huge.IMHO:tmbsdown What is the wattage. I accomplished the same thing with driving lights. They came with a 35 watt halogen bulb and I changed them to 55 watts. The 55 watts were to bright. view this post. http://www.v-rodforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1526 I do agree we must do what ever is possible to be as visible as we can. I know that from first hand experience.

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
VA VRod,

Look at the post on turn signal relocation, there is a pic of Frank Storms' bike which sports a set of spotlights on the triple tree. I am getting a similar setup on mine.

Frank's setup looks quite cool and must light up the road pretty well. Plus, its cheaper than going with an HID setup.

As to the alternator having the capacity, no freaking idea... guys....

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for the size they would be about 1/2 the size of our stock headlight, so they wouldn't look as large as they do on the Dyna's. On the Dyna’s they are about the same size as the stock headlight.

And, I think this is a case of "size does matter" the larger the light, or reflector, the more easily it will be seen. Just look at a flash light and a small pen light they both put out just as much light but you'd see the larger one a lot sooner than the small pen light.

I don't know off hand the wattage but they are about as bright as her stock hi-beam.

Dave

·
2,552 Posts
Good luck on what you decide on. When you install them, post a pic.

VA V-Rod said:
As for the size they would be about 1/2 the size of our stock headlight, so they wouldn't look as large as they do on the Dyna's. On the Dyna’s they are about the same size as the stock headlight.

And, I think this is a case of "size does matter" the larger the light, or reflector, the more easily it will be seen. Just look at a flash light and a small pen light they both put out just as much light but you'd see the larger one a lot sooner than the small pen light.

I don't know off hand the wattage but they are about as bright as her stock hi-beam.

Dave

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dave,

Keep looking at the HD catalog. I have the set that fits nicely of the engine guard. They are small and are 55w. They were $120 from the stealer

·
Registered
100 Posts
I waited until my dealer had their annual Customer Appreciation Day and got my H-D fog lights for 20% off. They fit great on the engine guard and add lots of light to see and be seen. Besides that, they are chrome - you just can't have enough chrome. ;)

The lights are fairly easy to install. They came with some black nylon wire ties to hold the wires to the underside of the engine guard as they are routed into the central area. They looked OK but I got a set of chrome 7" wire ties from another dealer and you can hardly see them on the engine guard. Yes, I know I could have probably drilled some access holes in the guard and routed the wires through them to make them invisible but I didn't want to take a chance of weakening the engine guards. (I laid this bike down once without the guards and would like to have them in place and working well if it happens again.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you install the fog lights to be on all the time or did you install a switch which would give you the option of turning these on or off? I would like to know the opinion of others with the same set-up on how they did theirs. I would be having mine installed this Friday and would like to be able to give the proper instructions to the Dealer on how to install. The no wire seen and in the guard method is tempting.

Michel

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
The diversity of this group is it's strength. Personnally I'm not big on spending money on things like extra lights, comphy seats, windshields, ... on my ride. However, I do think you can have these things on a VROD and it still look nice. :2cents: To each their own.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The HD drriving light kit comes with a switch that attaches via the top clamp screw on the clutch side. The down side is the wire is black and runs down the clutch line and is attached via black zip ties. Looks like Hell actually.

They work 2 ways. the switch is power to the lights, the relay turn on the lights when the low beam light is on and turns them off when you use the high beam.

I hope you stealer does a better job wiring yours up then mine did.

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
I bought and installed the HD engine guard types but put the switch on the throttle side and hid the wire along the throttle cables. You can hardly see it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts