Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so last night i am trying to get my 240 swap done, and low and behold the damn brake caliper will not go over the rotor due to the fact that it won't fit between the rotor and wheel.. so the only way to make it fit is to pull the rotor, slide the caliper on and bolt the rotor back up.. anyone else ever had to do this? what a PITA this is turning out to be.. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,442 Posts
I have similar situation with my Kosman widened D wheel except I just loosen all the bolts up on the rotor and angle it out and slide the caliper on and then retighten rotor.
It takes a little bit of patient and manuevering to make it happen.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am just glad to know i am not the only one!

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Yeah with the newer wide tire 240 AW's that's pretty much standard fare. I don't unbolt the rotor though, I just unbolt the caliper before I pull the wheel then make sure the caliper is inside the wheel dish when rolling the wheel back into the swingarm. You have to be careful to not ding up the wheel, and it's a PITA, but I don't see any other way to get all that hardware in there.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,207 Posts
I have to do that for my SE2. Rotor must come off or else the tire will not come out/in.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
ok, so last night i am trying to get my 240 swap done, and low and behold the damn brake caliper will not go over the rotor due to the fact that it won't fit between the rotor and wheel.. so the only way to make it fit is to pull the rotor, slide the caliper on and bolt the rotor back up.. anyone else ever had to do this? what a PITA this is turning out to be.. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Normal on the stock wide bikes as well. Tyre change is a real pest - and the Brembos, which have a real after market feel to them, don't help. Still, it is only once a year or so.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
It is just par for the course. Every change or mod has it's headaches and consequences.

·
Noel
4,694 Posts
If you guys are having to do this with every tire maintenance, consider replacing the rotor screws or check them every oil change to make sure they are not loose.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
You can get the 2 piece rear caliper off the wide tire bikes, this would save you loosening up the rotor bolts.

:them:

I put this set up on my R when I switched to the 17 inch rear wheel, fearing exactly that sort of clearance issue with the stock set up. It is a straightforward mod, but requires a different, wider, spacer on the right side between the bracket and the wheel. Nice when it's done, easy to remove.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Normal on the stock wide bikes as well. Tyre change is a real pest - and the Brembos, which have a real after market feel to them, don't help. Still, it is only once a year or so.
Oh sorry, ignore me, I was talking out of my ass. I missed the bit about rotor bolts. On the wide stock bikes life is much simpler if you remove the caliper before taking off the wheel. That's bad enough. Rotor bolts is worse, apologies.

·
Dylan454
219 Posts
I remember trying to squeeze my new reactor 260 metzler combo on the bike with rotor still on. Sad part was I really thought it was going to just slide right on.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.