Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 vrscf and it did not come with a key fob or the seller didn’t have one anyway, do all the muscles have the security option so I can simply buy a fob and have it activated or did some come without and I’ll need to buy an entire unit? Is there a way I can tell if my bike has the option installed I would love to be able to just walk up to the bike and turn it on

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought a 2012 muscle and it didn't come with a fob. It didn't have the security system module in it. There are two kinds of modules TSM (turn signal module) and TSSM (turn signal and security module). They are located under the passenger seat, and both look a like, but you will need to see what part number is on yours and check the HD parts and see which your is to be sure.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Thanks guys so what does the box look like and if it does not come with it could I put one on it
New TSSM will require a password learn procedure. Long winded detailed instructions on how to do it but most just get the dealer to do it because a new HFSM fob needs dealer to program it to the bike anyway. That you cannot do the fob programing yourself. Basically it needs to be scanned to know what number it is.
You will get a 5 digit PIN number from them. Remember the procedure to insert this number via the signal light switches because if you loose a fob or whatever, this number needs to be put in to disarm the security system so the bike can be started. Procedure is in the owners manual as well as online several places.
Ron

·
Registered
656 Posts
You have to buy and marry the new system to the computer if you dont have the code or a working fob for the old existing one.I remember it running $700 out the door for the older models,Are the newer ones different?Personalty key less systems scare me and are dangerous if you ride in the wrong hood.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Several items to be aware of here:
'
1. TSM - Turn signal module - No security and no Fob required
'
2. TSSM - Turn signal and security module. Security requiring Fob with push button
'
3. HFSM - Turn signal and Security module, Security requiring a button-less Fob.
'
TSM is available for most years and models of V-rods
TSSM is available for early V-Rods 2002 - to about 2006? (My Guess)
HFSM available for 2007 and later V-Rods.

All three (TSM,TSSM,HFSM) can be installed by owner using a marrying procedure well documented in this forum as well as in the Electrical Diagnostic manual. It takes about 1/2 hour.
'
All three can be installed by the dealer in a few moments using his Digitech.
'
The Fobs for the TSSM can be married to the TSSM using procedures in the owners manual. Quite simple.
'
The Fobs for the HSFM can only be married to the HFSM by the dealer using his Digitech computer. The HFSM is not activated until a Fob is assigned to it.
'
Hope this helps.
'
Also if the 2006/2007 dates I noted are incorrect I would appreciate someone more knowledgeable than me let me know and I will correct the post.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
My 2017 Muscle does not have security.
They tend to push it as coming standard now. Usually you need to order a bike without it. Originally I ordered one without but when the bike came in I rejected it due to to many cosmetic flaws. I took a black DX off of the showroom floor instead. It has security on it. I'm not a fan of that HFSM crap as it can get unruly at times. Damn lights always blinking when you move the bike. Failure to start in certain locations due to EMI screwing up the fob signal. Then you need to push the bike clear of the influence to get it going. This is rare but happens. Sometimes the bike won't start because the antenna can't pick up the fob if you have the fob in the left coat pocket. Then you need to climb off and turn your pocket toward the seat. Dumb shit like that makes me want to just disarm it and ride a motorcycle like the good old days. On a plus note, my fuel gauge still works after 5 years. LOL.
Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking of fuel gauge I parked my bike 2 days ago with the gas light on and almost empty when I started it yesterday it said I had a full tank and by the time I got to town 10min away it slowly worked it’s way to 1/4 tank I filled up and it went back to full what’s up with that?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Speaking of fuel gauge I parked my bike 2 days ago with the gas light on and almost empty when I started it yesterday it said I had a full tank and by the time I got to town 10min away it slowly worked it’s way to 1/4 tank I filled up and it went back to full what’s up with that?
I don't know. Some kind of recalculating process. This seems to happen when the bike is moving, not sitting still. Normally when I fill up and start the engine the gauge reads what it was when I pulled in. Within 50-100 yards the needle has moved up to full. Almost like it needs to relearn the sending unit position with a reboot. I've also noticed with my PV and viewing MPG it will lock into the last known MPG reading and not change unless the MPG is reset on the PV unit. Basically the fuel sending unit isn't as simple as a float going up and down to display what's on the fuel gauge.
Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea the way it happened just sucks because if I thought I had 3/4 tank then took off riding and ran out of gas thinking I was good to ride luckily I remembered it just said empty and didn’t wait awhile between rides

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Yea the way it happened just sucks because if I thought I had 3/4 tank then took off riding and ran out of gas thinking I was good to ride luckily I remembered it just said empty and didn’t wait awhile between rides
A likely reason was mentioned in a service bulletin (M-1249) discussed in this thread:
* Starting in 2009 model year, the motorcycle MUST be moving and receiving vehicle speed input in order for the instrument module to properly update the fuel gauge. This is to prevent an inaccurate reading while the motorcycle is on the side stand. After fuel refill on these models, it is normal for the low fuel light to remain on and the fuel gauge to indicate a lower than actual fuel level until the motorcycle is moving.​

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.