Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Out of time....
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I just go to HD dealer for both or can I purchase one of those Fobs off eBay and have that activated for my 2006 Night Rod?

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
If the fob has a button on it then you can program it yourself. If it is the button-less fob, it needs to be taken to a dealer for marrying to your HFSM. Only takes a few minutes and a few bucks for them to do it. If you do this take both fobs with you. They will need to do both at the same time.
Your current key has a key code on it behind the black plastic? part. Slide it off and take the key code to a dealer and have them order a new one using that key code. If that doesn't work the dealer/H-D can match your Key code using the VIN number if you haven't changed the locks on your bike.

·
Out of time....
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the fob has a button on it then you can program it yourself. If it is the button-less fob, it needs to be taken to a dealer for marrying to your HFSM. Only takes a few minutes and a few bucks for them to do it. If you do this take both fobs with you. They will need to do both at the same time.
Your current key has a key code on it behind the black plastic? part. Slide it off and take the key code to a dealer and have them order a new one using that key code. If that doesn't work the dealer/H-D can match your Key code using the VIN number if you haven't changed the locks on your bike.
Thanks John! Did not even know that black plastic thing came off! Just took it off key-ring and slide it off and found the four digit number! Will get spare key.

Now I do not have any Fob's as the bike did not come with any. Should I just pick up one or a set from eBay with the buttons?

-Mark

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
If you did not get a FOB when you bought the bike you probably do not have a security system. If this is true then a FOB would then be useless.

·
Out of time....
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you did not get a FOB when you bought the bike you probably do not have a security system. If this is true then a FOB would then be useless.
I bought the bike used... but it does have a security system as my good friend checked out my bike and said it has one, I just have no way of arming it currently.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
If the fob has a button on it then you can program it yourself. ...
If it was the buttonless type the bike wouldn't be operable without it (unless the turn-signal code had been entered). I'm guessing that the bike doesn't have a security system but the friend assumed the little red key icon on the instrument module meant that it does.

·
Out of time....
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was the buttonless type the bike wouldn't be operable without it (unless the turn-signal code had been entered). I'm guessing that the bike doesn't have a security system but the friend assumed the little red key icon on the instrument module meant that it does.
He showed me the security module when he had the bike ripped all apart when we did a ton of upgrades to the bike, 5 gallon tank, forward controls, new LED turn signal/mirrors, etc... But unfortunately he has since passed away so I can no longer ask his advice but I do know he said I could get a fob for it and he did mention something about using the turn-signal code.....

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Aww crap! Sorry to hear about your friend.
The module should be clipped into a little bracket under the passenger seat. Pull that to make sure it's there before heading to the H-D Shoppe to get a fob but being an '06 it should be P/N 69200-00D, the type that uses the pushbutton fob (P/N 68926-00). It's a black L-shaped thingie with the largest leg about the size of a pack of cigarettes and the short leg about half that size but thicker.

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
Digital Knight,
You really need to invest in a owners manual for your bike. There is much information iin it regarding the security system, including FOB setup, PIN setiup, operating without a FOB, in case you lose it, etc etc
Your profile shows you own a 2005 master, whatever that is. What year and model of V-ROD do you own? It makes a difference in the security system and its operation.

·
Out of time....
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2006 Night Rod ... with mods...

Digital Knight,
You really need to invest in a owners manual for your bike. There is much information iin it regarding the security system, including FOB setup, PIN setiup, operating without a FOB, in case you lose it, etc etc
Your profile shows you own a 2005 master, whatever that is. What year and model of V-ROD do you own? It makes a difference in the security system and its operation.
Thanks for reminding me to update my profile! It should now show I own a 2006 HD Night Rod. (see pic below). Point the way to the owners manual and I shall purchase! Thx.

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
99501-06A VRSC models Service manual
99457-06B VRSC Models Parts manual
99736-06A VRSC Models Owner's Manual
99499-06A VRSC Models Electrical DIagnosis Manual

Note: The suffix (A/B) may change. B may be more current.

Manuals might be available on E-Bay or order from your favorite H-D Dealer. You will be glad you did.

·
Asatruar
2,935 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts