Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Looks good Brian. Are you going to add the F rear fender?
Thanks!! I would really like to but there are some huge differences. The R rear section of the frame is taller to accomadate the 5 gallon. The F frame(and the rest of the other V-rods with a 5 gallon) is widder and not taller. So I would ahve to hack/bend/mod the inner fender off an F to make it work. Hell, I might just sale it(inner fender, fender, light, side mount plate and all).:hidesbeh:

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Stock belt off of a 2007 or later V-Rod. I used all stock parts basically from 2007 or later Rods. You have to get an offset front pulley since you changed all the spacing in the rear for the wider tire and swing arm.

F wheels or DX wheels(MAKE SURE YOU GET NON-ABS) depending on what weight you want, an '07 or later swing arm, your '06 rotors work, but the new rotors are floating rotors, you can use your stock calipers, although I suggest going to an '07 or later one that is 2 piece(makes life 100% easier), a stock rear pulley off an '07 or later V-Rod, '07 later narrow belt, '07 later rear axle, stock rear spacers from an '07 later V-Rod(narrow spacer on left, large spacer on right,

I will take some better pics, these were from my cell
Brian, What tooth pulley are you using and where did you get it ? You are not using the F muscle pulley ??
I was thinking of this setup for my 06 R and want all the parts in order before I tear it down.
I have on the way a muscle swing arm, muscle pulley and belt, muscle spacers and shaft, and muscle belt guards, also the muscle wheels are headin my way soon too. I will use my 06 R rotors and brakes, and my rear pulley only from my original setup unless the muscle rotors are a good price. I am also thinkin of putting a 250mm rear tire on it but dont know if there is room, can you look at your and tell me if there is room for a 250mm tire there.
THANX A BUNCH

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Brian, What tooth pulley are you using and where did you get it ? You are not using the F muscle pulley ??
I was thinking of this setup for my 06 R and want all the parts in order before I tear it down.
I have on the way a muscle swing arm, muscle pulley and belt, muscle spacers and shaft, and muscle belt guards, also the muscle wheels are headin my way soon too. I will use my 06 R rotors and brakes, and my rear pulley only from my original setup unless the muscle rotors are a good price. I am also thinkin of putting a 250mm rear tire on it but dont know if there is room, can you look at your and tell me if there is room for a 250mm tire there.
THANX A BUNCH
Ok, the only parts that I am using that are specific to the F are thw wheels. Everything else is the same on all 2007 V-Rods(except the R). It is a 28 tooth offset pulley from Harley. Basically a stock offset pulley on the late model bikes. You can go up to a 260mm tire on the stock rim as others have done. You will just have to mock it up and make sure everything clears, and if it doesn't the grind. I would go witht he new '09 floating rotors. They are a hell of a lot better the the stock '06 ones. Also, I would reccomend the new two piece rear caliper mount. I put on on my bike when I did the swap and it is well worth it. You no longer have the take the whole wheel off to work on the claiper, and it helps with the install of the big wheel and tire. The lower stock belt guard is plastic, so if you want metal you are gonna have to get a chrome one a powder coat it like I did. Did you get the axles for both front and rear? You can use your stock pivot shaft, but get the '09 spacer just for general purpose to make all spacing is correct. And get the F spacer for non-ABS for both front and rear. I have a stock F rear pulley, but also bought the black Reactor one too. Thought it went better, but now Pondo has a rear pulley taht matches the F wheels. The standard rear pulley is the same on all '08 and later V-Rods, but Pondo's is much better. You are also gonna have to rainbow the rear inner fender and cut off the saddle bag mounts so nothing rubs. If you have anymore questions please let me know.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
cool thanx for the info, I hope to have it done in a few weeks and will post pics

one thing, are you saying that the muscle trans pulley I have on the way is a 28 t and is an offset pulley ? so I could use it

·
Recovering Oxymoron
394 Posts
Brian, great looking R, good job. I love the Indy pipe and would love one myself. Can I ask a couple of questions?
1. Did the pipe fit on the R without any probs and does it have good clearance on right hand turns?
2. Can you say if you got any significant power gains with the Indy pipe and are you using a SERT or similar?
Cheers
Geoff

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Brian, great looking R, good job. I love the Indy pipe and would love one myself. Can I ask a couple of questions?
1. Did the pipe fit on the R without any probs and does it have good clearance on right hand turns?
2. Can you say if you got any significant power gains with the Indy pipe and are you using a SERT or similar?
Cheers
Geoff
What do you want to know exactly about fitment? I mean the pipe is 3 pieces and you can install it or remove it in no time. You have to verify nothin is going to rub, and that your oil line is not going to get melted after the pipe is on the bike by leaving the header blots alittle loose and moving the pipe around into position. It's an R so I do not feel that clearance is a problem. You are still gonna hit peg before pipe. I have not dynoed it yet, but seat of pants it feels better. I am using a VRFID unit and about to switch to the TM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks great as always Brian.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Brian,
where did you get your F wheel bearings for the new wheels. I am trying to find them for the front and rear and the stealership is backorder.
Also, you did use a F front axle not the stock one right ?

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Brian,
where did you get your F wheel bearings for the new wheels. I am trying to find them for the front and rear and the stealership is backorder.
Also, you did use a F front axle not the stock one right ?
get a 2009 parts manual, go to the two pages where it shows the wheels, find the part # for the non ABS bearings and you are done. I ordered them when I got my wheels. If you have to have them know have them do a dealer search and see who has them in stock, and order them from them. If you ahve to order them, I would get them from Hales, Chicago H-D, or Zanotti's and save some $$. I used and axles from the 2009 bikes. Remember the only thing that is F specific is the wheels. The rest of the parts are on the '09 model bikes too.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Brian,

HELP !

I am finally putting my rear wheel inside the muscle swing arm and I cannot get the brake to fit onto the disk.
here is my setup,
I have the smallest spacer on the left, the largest spacer is inside the compensator bowl ( up against the pulley, and the middle size spacer is on the right side.

I cannot get the brake to clear the side of the rim to get the disk in between the pads. I even tried it without the pulley on the other side so I had all kinds of room to work with.

What the h#LL am I doing wrong ?
did you have to mod your brake caliper to make it fit past the rim edge of the F wheel ???

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
Okay ! stupid me, I got the brake on by placing it on the stop and rolling the tire into it.
NOW ! I mocked up the wheel spacers and everything else because it seemed that my right side spacer is to big.
Here is what I have,
It is an 06 R, I have a 09 muscle wheel, swingarm, spacers, and shaft. I am using my original compensator so I think this is where my issue is.
I only have a C hair over 1/2 inch for the right side spacer and my right side spacer is 3/4 inch in length.
I have the narrowest spacer on the left side, and the longest spacer inside the compensator bowl and up against the pulley. When I mock it up I cannot get the 3/4" spacer in without distorting the brake lineup. So do you think I need to shorten my left side spacer to fit ?
Or do I have something out of whack here ?

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Okay ! stupid me, I got the brake on by placing it on the stop and rolling the tire into it.
NOW ! I mocked up the wheel spacers and everything else because it seemed that my right side spacer is to big.
Here is what I have,
It is an 06 R, I have a 09 muscle wheel, swingarm, spacers, and shaft. I am using my original compensator so I think this is where my issue is.
I only have a C hair over 1/2 inch for the right side spacer and my right side spacer is 3/4 inch in length.
I have the narrowest spacer on the left side, and the longest spacer inside the compensator bowl and up against the pulley. When I mock it up I cannot get the 3/4" spacer in without distorting the brake lineup. So do you think I need to shorten my left side spacer to fit ?
Or do I have something out of whack here ?
Yes, you CAN NOT USE YOUR ORIGINAL COMPENSATOR BOWL. You have to get a wide wheel, narrow pulley compensator bowl and the spacer that goes in the bowl. Make sure you have Muscle spacers and the little spacer on the left and wide spacer on the right. Let me know if you need anything else. I must have made 5 trips to the dealership to look at their Muscles on the floor to make sure I got everythin right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone else have issue with the rear wheel sitting off centre? I have done everything and it sits to left more 😧

41 - 60 of 60 Posts