Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a quote from the local dealership to install a new slipper clutch in my a. As part of the quote, they kindly provided the part numbers for all the items specified to perform the swap. One of the items is part number 36769-01KA (Secondary Clutch Cylinder Rebuild Kit).

I found through a friend a mechanic that I feel I can trust to do the work that will save me a few bucks as he told me to buy the parts best price and he just charges actual time up to book at his reduced (compared to dealer) labor rate. OK!

So I check with the usual sources and they all say that the part is discontinued! Fine. No problem. There has to be a replacement item in the parts list, and there is. 36781-01K (SECONDARY CLUTCH REPAIR KIT, CHROME) or 36782-04K (SECONDARY CLUTCH REPAIR KIT, POLISHED).

<rant> WHY do I care chrome or polished when I'm gonna put a cover over it?! And the part is nearly $100 more than the old repair kit! </rant>

At this point I'm a little beside myself as to what part to use? Does anyone have a resource to find the old part number still in stock somewhere?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
i don't remember what the slipper part # is but, that and a set of new exhaust gaskets is all i ordered when i upgraded to the slipper clutch. screw the dealer and do it yourself.

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't remember what the slipper part # is but, that and a set of new exhaust gaskets is all i ordered when i upgraded to the slipper clutch. screw the dealer and do it yourself.
I've got a friend to help me with the install and the clutch is on order from Chicago Harley. There doesn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with the secondary cylinder, but figure while there and torn apart, it's decent insurance. I've got the master leaking a little and so that is going to get rebuilt at the same time.

I have a couple more messages out, so I guess we'll see.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
link to video on slipper change in my Sig. Easy to do.

The rebuild is easy to.

Good Luck
rod

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
The Clutch Kit I received from Chicago HD was P/N 37938-08KA dated 6/15/09. I also replaced the large nut - P/N 8008M just to be on the safe side.

This really is a straightforward install once the exhaust system is removed - especially if you have access to an impact wrench. The above kit fit into my 03 with very minor realignment of the plates. The video is excellent.

Good luck.

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
The Nut should always be replaced

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
link to video on slipper change in my Sig. Easy to do.

The rebuild is easy to.

Good Luck
rod
Rod - I've watched your video and it does look easy enough. My own comfort level is really the only thing that keeps me from doing it myself - as well as having a few needed tools. A friend introduced me to a kick-ass mechanic that runs his own independent shop and I talked to him about doing the work.

BTW Rod - that is one hell of a resource you've put up there. Thanks for all the hard work!

@KVD - I've ordered Clutch kit 37938-01K (SE slipper) from Chicago HD. I'll post soon all the parts ordered to rebuild basically the entire clutch system.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Pay Forward. thanks for the kind words

1 - 9 of 9 Posts