Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has heard a rumor that there will be no more throttle cables on all 08 models. Fly by wire style maybe?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
A computer controlled throttle would be rediculously expensive. I dont see it happening on a motorcycle, but never say never.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I think it would be one of the best things they could do. I really like drive by wire controls, if they use the proven delphi system then we have seen almost no problems from.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yamaha started fly-by wire on the 2006 R6, and the 07 R1 now has it, also. It's great technology, but I don't really see it being necessary. Instead of just snapping your wrist wide open, roll on it quickly to full throttle. It does the same thing, and it's free!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Do you know how much mark up there is on cables? LOL FBW would be expensive, would be nice though.

And this is Harley not a technology driven Japanese organisation, we have the history.

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
that would clean up the bars even more

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
We don't need that at all...now what happens when a sensor fails or the sensor on the throttle says "wide open throttle" and you have a 90 degree corner coming up?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
We don't need that at all...now what happens when a sensor fails or the sensor on the throttle says "wide open throttle" and you have a 90 degree corner coming up?
That's when you thank God and Willie for the inacuracy of the fuel gauge as the engine slowly sputters out of fuel just before you start leaning into the curve!

Like Max says,it's a proven system,it's just that sales will over ride engineering and take the lowest bid on the cheapest vender they can find.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I just Harley should focus on some other things for the bike

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Then they wouldn't be able to sell braided stainless throttle cable upgrades.

·
1 Person Biker Gang
287 Posts
Hope it works better than fuel level sending units.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Those 18 wheelers you see on the road are using the same thing :deal:...Have for years :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
JDR_ROD said:

The same thing that happens with a stuck throttle cable.. You pull the clutch in and kill the engine.. Haven't had this happen on my V, but on my MX bikes it happens a lot (especially after dumping it). Anyhow, will get your attention, but it isn't a big deal if you react to the problem vs panic.

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
Yep, they've been testing for over 2 years now... I've posted about the electronic cruise control before. I had information in '06 that said it might be on the '07s, obviously that didn't happen.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
My Acura TL uses fly by wire for the throttle. It is very quick to respond to the foot.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vrod-tlam said:
Yep, they've been testing for over 2 years now... I've posted about the electronic cruise control before. I had information in '06 that said it might be on the '07s, obviously that didn't happen.
You heard about it also? So I am not the only one that heard this from a reliable source inside HD.

·
RIP BR
2,244 Posts
hd-v-rodder said:
A computer controlled throttle would be rediculously expensive. I dont see it happening on a motorcycle, but never say never.
Its becoming more and more common on bikes as we speak, the new r6 has it

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
VrodG said:
Those 18 wheelers you see on the road are using the same thing :deal:...Have for years :rofl:
Some of those are just flyin' down the road while wired.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts