Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to crack 5000 miles on the Iron this week so I am changing the Oil and Tranny fluids. What do recommend for tis other than mindlessly going to HD and buying their Oil etc? I am NOT putting Amsoil in it etc... but since its a "Normal" bike can I NOT just get some Regualr Moble One type oil, not Syn for the motor etc???

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
So, you haven't taken a drink from the Amsoil kool-aid fountain?

The airheads use a dry sump configuration with an oil bag and seperate oil for the engine and primary chain case.

Therefore, you can use low friction automotive type oil in the engine. Yes, due to the high heat and other demands, you want a good quality oil (basically any name brand synthetic) of the correct viscosity.

On the big twins the trans and primary are seperate, but this is not the case with the sportster. Do not use oil with friction modifiers in the primary/trans or you may kill your clutch plates before their time.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So regular Moble 1 (not VTwin) will work. Good to know thank ya

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
15W50 Mobil-1 car oil ought to be fine for the engine. I use this in BMW bike engines pretty much exclusively. Btw, Mobil-1 oils have much more moly additive than any other oil, an expensive but particularly effective wear additive in hot and highly stressed engines.
You can save the motorcycle specific oil for the primary and gearbox since this lubricant will lubricate the clutch.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Stuff, I will throw some Mobil 1 20w 50 in it that I have for the Vrod and pick up whatever they say to for the tranny etc.. at HD when I go get the gaskets and filter.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Amsoil 20-50 for the engine,or build your own cocktail using at least 1400ppm of zinc.This is a pushrod engine and requires different chemicals than the Mercedes engine does.
Severe gear 75-90 Amsoil for the transmission.
For ambient temps where you live,20-50 Amsoil motorcycle oil is good for the primary.If the clutch drags when cold starting the engine while the trans is in gear,reduce the oil down to 10-40 Amsoil motorcycle oil.

Anyone that trys to tell me that Amsoil is koolaid,is wrong!

Lux,stop trolling and pissing people off and join a sportster forum.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Anyone that trys to tell me that Amsoil is koolaid,is wrong!

Lux,stop trolling and pissing people off and join a sportster forum.
My comment wasn't intended to say that "Amsoil is koolaid", (I have it in my R). It was a comment about blind devotion to the brand. Even the Amsoil folks will admit that the Mobil 1 V-twin is just is good or even slightly better.

Not sure about pissing folks off; maybe an "Off Topic" folder is needed for such posts.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
:eek:fftopic:

vrod general is to generally discuss VRODS

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
On the big twins the trans and primary are seperate, but this is not the case with the sportster. Do not use oil with friction modifiers in the primary/trans or you may kill your clutch plates before their time.
And, therefore, you'll find changing oil much faster and easier.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My comment wasn't intended to say that "Amsoil is koolaid", (I have it in my R). It was a comment about blind devotion to the brand. Even the Amsoil folks will admit that the Mobil 1 V-twin is just is good or even slightly better.

Not sure about pissing folks off; maybe an "Off Topic" folder is needed for such posts.
Very pissy bunch these "Vrodders", they are right up there with another bunch I know called Hankie Heads.
I said I am not using Amsoil because I dont have any Amsoil and I am doing this today (which makes Mail Order kinda Tough) and every Oil thread becomes "Use Amsoil". so I wanted to clear that out of the way 1st off.
It states in the Title that it a Non Vrod Question for all you purists. Dont like it than dont read it.
I do appreciate the Help from the other MC people though.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
It states in the Title that it a Non Vrod Question for all you purists. Dont like it than dont read it.
I do appreciate the Help from the other MC people though.
well then, the best advice you can get is from the Dealer.
Or better yet, The owners manual.
they know whats best for their motorcycles

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well then, the best advice you can get is from the Dealer.
Or better yet, The owners manual.
they know whats best for their motorcycles
Very Helpful, Thanks A bunch.
Let me know if I can every do anything for any of you guys in the future I will get right on it.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Very Helpful, Thanks A bunch.
Let me know if I can every do anything for any of you guys in the future I will get right on it.
actually I am not an oil purist, I usually follow the owners manual for type of oil, and change intervals.

I always use mobil products cause closest to home and i am good friends with owner.

oil is no big deal so i dont make it one

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mobil 1 gear lube is very good in the tranny/primary. Used it in my Buells. Mobil 1 v-twin is also good in the engine. I would only use 'regular' oil if I had no choice and would shorten my change intervals a bunch.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I suggest what the MFGR recommends, but why not an amsoil? Especially if its an air cooled bike. You don't want an oil that will break down, foam, and loose protection. Yeah it's a price to pay for oil, but the benefits are worth it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yes, HD recommends their SHITTY Dyna oil for an oil change.. They can stick that oil up their Arse.. :deal:
It is a lube, but I think that application is outside of the design specifications.:spank:

do not use gear lube in the primary.
:them: Not sure what gear lube would do, but I'm thinking the clutch would drag so much it would be nearly impossible to ride.

I've used automatic trans fluid in the primary of a big twin, but I don't have a lot of experience with sporties.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I suggest what the MFGR recommends, but why not an amsoil? Especially if its an air cooled bike. You don't want an oil that will break down, foam, and loose protection. Yeah it's a price to pay for oil, but the benefits are worth it.
DIDNT have any Amsoil around and it was being done today so I went with Mobile 1 V-Twin just like I use in the VRSCA (local Dealer sells Amsoil for $15.99 a Qt so thats not happening). The Tranny stuff I used was the HD brand.
Very interesting taking the covers off of my friends Nightster today and do some other bits of work to it. Looking forward to our install of the RSD pipes and New Air cleaner set up. But alas I am breaking the rules of the Forum by discussing this so I will now stop.
Thanks again to those who helped out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts