Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally flipped my mirrors and powdercoated them satin black... while I was at it, I PC'd my levers as well.

I like IT!

Not sure I would PC the mirror stems if I had to do it again, getting the plastic covers off the LEDs was a PITA! And I am still looking for a better cap nut, so recommendations welcome

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Finally flipped my mirrors and powdercoated them satin black... while I was at it, I PC'd my levers as well.

I like IT!

Not sure I would PC the mirror stems if I had to do it again, getting the plastic covers off the LEDs was a PITA! And I am still looking for a better cap nut, so recommendations welcome
I really like that look-Nice.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
like it,,,,,, love the mudd to

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Looking good you have done a lot to her I really like it. IGotcha how about just using a bolt the same thread as the hollowed stud get the right length so you don't cut your wires. You could use a star lock washer on the bottom on your mirror stem Tacoma screw would be the best place to look for bolt head styles,Allen Turk,,, or you could round off the bottom of a carriage bolt and just have a cap on top of your master cylinder reservoir.:ride:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Big Tony

I would luv to have no mirrors.................

Like Italian racing What's behind me doesn't matter.:guns

·
Registered
547 Posts
Looks good and really lowers the line of the front. I better find a cleverclogs who can help me with the mod - I am a complete mechanical inept who should not be trusted with spanners

·
Registered
446 Posts
That bolt size is 8mm by 30 or 35mm depending on you washers and positioning of the wires in the stem. I painted mine, but since your pc ing you know what to do.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking good you have done a lot to her I really like it. IGotcha how about just using a bolt the same thread as the hollowed stud get the right length so you don't cut your wires. You could use a star lock washer on the bottom on your mirror stem
Great Idea... I will head over to Tacoma screw to pick up a cap head allen bolt today... I powdercoated the star washers black so they blend in.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did the light assembly come out and the glass off the frame??
I heated it in the oven and the mirror will just fall off, be sure to remove as much of the softened glue as you can or it will run over the sides of the mirror... The heat also softens the LED covers, but I am not sure I would go that route again... I cracked one and the other is a bit warped... I wonder if you can just pry it off, there is only some grey RTV at the two end holding it on.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
I heated it in the oven and the mirror will just fall off, be sure to remove as much of the softened glue as you can or it will run over the sides of the mirror... The heat also softens the LED covers, but I am not sure I would go that route again... I cracked one and the other is a bit warped... I wonder if you can just pry it off, there is only some grey RTV at the two end holding it on.
When I did mine I just warmed them with the heat gun and the grey silicone was soft enough to just pry the lens loose with a small flatblade screwdriver. I drilled the stems at an angle but the wiring was still a PITA to push back in. great looking mod tho and totally worth it. I get comments all day.

Sent from my EVO 4g

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I believe it was HANNY who recommended the use of compressed air. Shot up the inside of the mirror stem. And the heat gun allows you to watch your progress so as not to get to hot. I like the idea of not prying anything. And flipping without redirecting the wires just looks like :stac:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe it was HANNY who recommended the use of compressed air. Shot up the inside of the mirror stem. And the heat gun allows you to watch your progress so as not to get to hot. I like the idea of not prying anything.
I tried the compressed air method and all it did was move the fatter end up a bit to break the seal... but in no way did it 'pop' the lens cover off. this with 100psi through an air nozzle. I had no choice but to pry...

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Holy god. I will never pay that much money for two pieces of aluminum. Not even if they were gold plated. Sh*tf*ckhellfire thats rediculous. My work has a machine shop with a laser cutter. I'll model up something just as cool and have it cut for the cost of the material. I'll cut um like 50 sets and sell them for half of what those guys are selling for.

Sent from my EVO 4g

1 - 20 of 21 Posts