Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Stooz
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen this?

At idle my O/P lamp flickers and if on a significant lean on the stand will stay on. Any hint of throttle and it goes out. Oil level is right up, 2000 miles on oil change and bike is idling at around 12-1300. Bike is an 03 with 3000 miles and a trask turbo.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
You have low oil pressure. If the light stays on steady while on a stand it sounds like it is low oil level as the only difference the angle would make is pulling it away from the sump. You might want to check the bolt in the waterpump drive pulley to see if it's backed out. You may also want to have a manual test done to verify the sender isn't failing but usually if they fail they don't just flicker at low rpm.

·
Stooz
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Max

I added a bit of oil to see what happens. If its flickering a lil bit should rectify it if indeed it is low. I think the air ride is giving me slightly flase readings at the dipstick. The first time I checked it I thought it was horribly low but all my air was dumped. Recently I have been maxxing the rear susp out and checking it. I think that is putting the bike beyond level and therefore the oil is reading slightly high. I am gonna warm it up again and check it now with a bit of sag in the ass. also will see if the flickering is gone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a flicker on mine. It turned out to be an incorrectly wired connector rather than low oil pressure.

·
Strewth mate!
5 Posts
flickering oil light - happy ending

I had a flicker on mine. It turned out to be an incorrectly wired connector rather than low oil pressure.
07 D with 20,000 kiloflogs - still under warranty for another 3 months: light started flickering after about 5 mins of running. Checked oil - plenty. Just had a service with the dealer and after reading this thread about bolts backing out, I was a bit paranoid: thought maybe after she'd warmed up properly the higher temp and thus lower viscosity oil was finding a pinprick hole and escaping.

Sudden sinking feeling in gut - this sort of thing shouldn't be happening to a motor of this age. I had visions of having to pull the motor out. :mad:

Took her to a 3rd party authorised workshop (thanks Rai). Made an adapter and checked the pressure after removing the pressure switch (man I'm hunting down and fitting a pressure gauge): sitting on 65-70psi - cool.

Replaced the switch (genuine spare: AU$13). Holding pressure. No more blinken light :)

(unclench sphincter) - reinstall grin :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine has just started doing the same.

Going to check my water pump screw tonight as it sounds like its essential to check it anyway.

If its OK then I need to look at oil switch, connector, check oil pressure, get new engine...

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Mine has just started doing the same.

Going to check my water pump screw tonight as it sounds like its essential to check it anyway.

If its OK then I need to look at oil switch, connector, check oil pressure, get new engine...
Hope it's the switch. I spent a whole day on this with a Bonnie in the early 80s before I found it was stripped insulation on a wire :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hope it's the switch. I spent a whole day on this with a Bonnie in the early 80s before I found it was stripped insulation on a wire :D
Cheers Louis, it was a connection on the top of the switch. Rode it to work today, the oil light goes out instantly when started and no sign of as flicker in sight.
Big sigh of relief!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 09 V Rod Muscle that started doing the same thing. It only has 800 miles on it and noticed after it is warmed up, the oil pressure light flickers but it goes away when i give a little throttle or when i lean the bike just a bit. What the hell is causing this and what should i check for?

·
Registered
464 Posts
My oil light flickered on my 09 DX when I only had about 100 miles on it. Checked oil level immediately. Took to the shop they replaced oil sending unit and corrected connections.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have an 09 V Rod Muscle that started doing the same thing. It only has 800 miles on it and noticed after it is warmed up, the oil pressure light flickers but it goes away when i give a little throttle or when i lean the bike just a bit. What the hell is causing this and what should i check for?
Take your bike back to the dealer and have them check it.Your 2 year factory warranty should cover this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts