Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, had the recall done, and got to take her out for a ride. FIrst thing I noticed when I picked her up, was that I was low about 1/4 tank from where I dropped her off. I thought maybe they lost a little, but I can't imagine how. (first of all, I never noticed a problem before the recall was done, though the mechanic said the old one was bad)

Did a nice ride this weekend (sunny, no wind, and ended up being in the upper 60s by 3 pm) and noticed that my fuel gauge is moving much faster than normal. No difference in the way the bike runs at all, but do you think it's possible that they got the gauge calibrated properly? Before I could fill it above full, and the gauge wouldn't move for about 10 miles. Now it stops right at the full mark, starts moving right away, and now, at 75 miles, my low fuel light is on. I could get close to 100 before. No clouds of black smoke, no excessive soot in the exhaust, and no performance difference. Any ideas????

Greg

·
1,738 Posts
Mine does the same thing. There seems to be a diffrence in how the float reads the fuel level after the fix. Took it back in and the dealer says it looks fine to them. The float moves easily, etc. I don't like having the light on 25 miles too soon. It is anoying and creates further paranoia about the fuel level.

Max, any ideas??

Fred

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going top fill the tank tonight, and from that I can figure out mileage. If its still the same, I will just watch the mileage, and start looking for fuel at 90 mi like always. Thanks V-Fred

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
V-Fred it sounds like all of the 03's got the same sensor that is in the 02. I had noticed that Jeannies 03 would tunr the light on at 100 miles while my 02 has always turned the low fuel light on at 75 miles. I may take a signal generator home and do comparisons between the two different units. This can probably be cured with a resistor.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Max. I know at 100 miles I generally have 1-1.5 gals left. Would be nice if that light didnt come on so soon.

·
1,738 Posts
So the MoCo fixed the 02 early light problem with the O3 design, but screwed up the fittings. Now they are fixing the defective 03 design by replacing with 02 model? This is a bull---- fix to me.

I wonder if the 04 model light comes on at 75 miles? Anyone with an 04?

Fred

Fred

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Lets see, I have a very early '03 (Aug '02), which apparently doesn't qualify for the recall, and my light comes on at about 100. Except when its 35F out. Then it comes on earlier.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
I have an early '03 (July '02) which did qualify for the recall. Just had it done. No change in fuel gauge readings or when the light comes on.

My light comes on somewhere between 75 and 100mi, depending on the type of riding I do.

It always comes on when the fuel guage indicates just below 1/4 tank remaining.

When I fill it to the brim, the fuel guage reads FULL, not 'higher' than FULL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts