Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I installed a dynatec twintec and Fitzgerald exhaust system. Now at idle it barely runs and miss fires through the whole powerband when under light load.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
No I haven't experienced that BUT that pipe & DTT are smack dab in Scots Fitzgeralds territory - call him up & get a better initial tune - also does that pipe have the cone welded in it for back pressure ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, It’s a different model from
Fitzgerald to help increase back pressure a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks
Yea, It’s a different model from
Fitzgerald to help increase back pressure a little.
Also, I bought everything from him, I just thought I’d ask the forum in case I made an idiot mistake that could be solved independently.

I also see that bike is throwing a code p1607, no engine light, but I’m not sure if that’s expected

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
That's what you want IMHO - the REVO engine wants to run as open an exhaust while still retaining a couple PSI back pressure as it helps low end power and popping off the power problems. If you have an 1130cc with a 1250cc open race pipe that will cause problems. It's all a balancing act - talk to Scott he'll lead you in the right direction -

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I’ll give Scott a call tomorrow. I did what he recommended, I’m just guessing the tune doesn’t align. I’m crossing my fingers. I’ll post back with my findings. The exhaust looks really cool, and sounds awesome.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Thanks! I’ll give Scott a call tomorrow. I did what he recommended, I’m just guessing the tune doesn’t align. I’m crossing my fingers. I’ll post back with my findings. The exhaust looks really cool, and sounds awesome.
Requires a serious tune. The idle is way lean, to run like that and most likely will be higher up in the rpms too. This shows up most in light load coasting with erratic running.
Ron

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Requires a serious tune. The idle is way lean, to run like that and most likely will be higher up in the rpms too. This shows up most in light load coasting with erratic running.
Ron
@rbabos! Hey, thanks! I was told this was "Pre-Tuned" from Scott over at Fitzgerald's performance, so I didn't take any action or perform any tuning. Maybe he forgot to upload the tune? Is there a way I can check myself? The Lean Statment would probably explain why my Cooling Fans Came on much sooner than normal. Hopefully, I didn't' damage anything :(. I specifically asked that question over 3 phone calls and was told to do nothing that it's plug n play on purchase.

·
Registered
497 Posts
@rbabos! Hey, thanks! I was told this was "Pre-Tuned" from Scott over at Fitzgerald's performance, so I didn't take any action or perform any tuning. Maybe he forgot to upload the tune? Is there a way I can check myself? The Lean Statment would probably explain why my Cooling Fans Came on much sooner than normal. Hopefully, I didn't' damage anything :(. I specifically asked that question over 3 phone calls and was told to do nothing that it's plug n play on purchase.
First things first...NEVER trust a "plug n play" tune. At bare minimum you should be logging AFR (both cylinders) and reviewing data. Unfortunately the DTT doesn't have an on bike display or you could watch it while riding (well at least while at sane/cruising speeds). Either way, you can log with the DTT and then download it to a laptop to review data.

Second....is the only modification to your bike the Fitzgerald pipe? If so, I don't understand why he sold you (well I do as he makes money off it....) and aftermarket ECU when that configuration is more than tunable with the OEM Delphi ECU your bike came with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I have the Lidless air box mod, but I informed him of that. This all kinda sucks, I got everything hooked up and ready for this weekend and not only can I not ride but Scott wasn’t available on Friday.

So if this doesn’t work out by Monday or Tuesday, do you have any alternates? I bought the DTT because my bike 06 doesn’t have oxygen sensors, and I thought adding the sensors and having no plugs in the exhaust would look and perform better. I spent a lot of money on that Tuner so I didn’t need to go through a ton of shenanigans to get running. :(. Ugh. Did I waste money, or does that thing actually help me long term?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We don’t have many good tuners close by, so this was why having something prebuilt seemed right. So mad at myself

·
Registered
497 Posts
We don’t have many good tuners close by, so this was why having something prebuilt seemed right. So mad at myself
Apologies, I always forget the older bikes didn't come with O2 sensors (I think that started in 2008). Amazing to me as I can't believe the EPA let HD get away with that...

At any rate check this out: Add 02 sensors to 2006

It appears you CAN add O2 sensors to the older ECMs. Search some more. If it were me I'd dig into how to run the OEM Delphi ECU with O2 sensors on your bike...then tune with something like a PowerVision (buy it from FuelMoto, they give you free base calibrations/etc). That will end your dilemma.

DTT = aftermarket ECU that is very limited versus the stock ECU (not joking). The only scenario I would ever recommend it is if you are using a turbo/supercharge with >14 psi (I know of 2 people on this board that run said explosive configurations).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, so I’m still struggling here. :(. I’m out of ideas. The bike still runs like crap. I check the throttle position sensor voltage and that came back fine, recalibrated the o2 sensors and still nothing. However, I did notice something, the front o2 sensor is super clean almost new looking still and the back one is now black.

I’m not sure where to begin, my local Harley dealer doesn’t know anything about this tuner, I’m hearing I completely wasted my money in the first place. I talked to Scott and he told me to switch the sensors, and check TPS voltage and recalibrate all did nothing. I have a bone stock bike with a air box top delete and Fitzgerald exhaust. Do I return the kit, do I try something new?

I’m getting a code p1607 when I check diagnostics. I googled this code, and one of the first results was this tuner. I checked voltage and it’s over 12 even when starting. I checked and rechecked all wiring and it looks good.

Valve adjustment was done 1k miles before this installation along with new plugs. On the stock open exhaust mod the bike performed awesome for years.

please help, anyone!!! I’m an hour north of Milwaukee Wisconsin. Does anyone know anyone that can help me? I bought this tuner because I didn’t want to be “cheap”. I’m just sad. I literally went out and bought a Road glide because, well I always wanted one, and dealing with this crap and not being able to ride really sucks. Especially in Wisconsin with the short riding season.

·
'04 1300
3,066 Posts
Can you run/ride the bike for 5-10 minutes, pull the 12-minute log and post it here. Given what you said, the log should provide some insight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you run/ride the bike for 5-10 minutes, pull the 12-minute log and post it here. Given what you said, the log should provide some insight.
First thanks for offering to help. Sorry to ask the newb question, how do I go about pulling a log? Any education to someone learning this would be helpful. In the meantime I’m going to read the novel of instructions to see if there’s anything that teaches me in there.
Thanks again, I’ll try to screw around with this today or worst case this weekend.

·
'04 1300
3,066 Posts
Give the 2 manuals that come with the DTT a read. It looks like a lot, but they're not too bad, and give you good insight into how everything's working. Based on the behavior you note, there may be a chance you have a leak somewhere in the exhaust, which is sucking fresh air in at some point in the cycle. The log may let us see that if it's catching an excessively lean condition.

·
Registered
497 Posts
First thanks for offering to help. Sorry to ask the newb question, how do I go about pulling a log? Any education to someone learning this would be helpful. In the meantime I’m going to read the novel of instructions to see if there’s anything that teaches me in there.
Thanks again, I’ll try to screw around with this today or worst case this weekend.
You need to take your bike to a tuner (get references from other Vrod owners/etc to make sure he's not a hack) and get a dyno tune (and a road tune if possible).

Tuning is a huge topic and takes years of experience to do it right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ll get back to everyone here soon, I’m a Mac only user, and I don’t want to keep bothering my friends for their computer to use my garage. I’m checking marketplace for a used cheap laptop to do this. Hopefully today :fingers crossed:

·
'04 1300
3,066 Posts
I’ll get back to everyone here soon, I’m a Mac only user, and I don’t want to keep bothering my friends for their computer to use my garage. I’m checking marketplace for a used cheap laptop to do this. Hopefully today :fingers crossed:
I'm predominantly Mac, but have a small windows laptop in the garage for tuning. I usually pull maps/logs, then use my 27" iMac with a windows VM on it to analyze and fine tune.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts