Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Recently installed a Fitzgerald Cut Throat exhaust on my 2003 Vrod, love the look of it, love the sound, but find it too loud, even with my helmet on find it uncomfortable riding as the exhaust is ringing in my ears.
Has anyone fitted an extra cone baffle to one of these to quiet it down a bit? If so what did you use?
I still want it loud, but this is crazy loud at present.
I have taken it off the bike and reinstalled the old Vance and Hines power shots, I find these about the right volume, would like to get the Cut Throat around this level of loudness if possible.
If you know of a cone baffle manufacturer please let me know.
Thanks for your help and comments.
LJR47:helpme:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ear plugs are your friend. I wear them on the highway (and a full face helmet). Even slipons are too loud for extended riding without. Nature of the beast. Don't fool yourself that your other exhaust is "safe" hearing safety wise. You will have hearing damage without. There are some custom molded ear protection kits that work great...local gun shop would be a good place to browse.

I have the same exhaust...went from TAB slipons to this. Both required plugs for me.

·
Asatruar
2,914 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad i came across this. I was actually going too ask here if people who run fitzgerald have found them to loud for longer distance riding but it seems like thats the case after even just a little research.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Glad i came across this. I was actually going too ask here if people who run fitzgerald have found them to loud for longer distance riding but it seems like thats the case after even just a little research.
Even slipons are too loud imho for freeway use without ear protection. If your ears are ringing then it is too loud. Want quieter? Stay stock or drive a car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess it all depends on the person and their gear. I have no problem with the stock exhaust, it would just be nice to have a little more sound. Id have to disagree that pretty much any exhaust other than stock would be to loud for freeway use but thats just me. I know a lot of people ride without a helmet but i never plan on doing that so it muffles things a lot.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For the record, I ride using an Shoei RF1200 helmet and "squishy" foam ear plugs on the freeway (haven't upgraded to custom plugs yet) with no issue. Did 250 miles on Dad's day. That's with the Fitzgerald Cut Throat exhaust and a healthy average mph for the majority of the ride in the desert.

I used to ride with the Tab slipons and the same helmet/same ride. Ringing ears for days. If you aren't ringing with that then I think you already have hearing damage (I do and it was still killing me!).

Just food for thought. To each his own (and hearing).

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
aint no fun when your pipe makes your ears bleed.the inherent design where the pipe ends before your ears will always be an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts