Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so owner supplies me with a Fuel Pak to install. Got directions but no way this damn thing will fit under the stock rear seat. Looks like I'd need to hog out some plastic and foam to make room. Is this problem unique to the R model. Fitting a Power commander would be equally frustrating by the lack of room there.
Ron

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ron-
Yup- with the ecm location, and the short harness on the fuel pak… you either need to make room under the rear seat to “piggyback” it, or drop it under the inner fender by cutting some sheet metal. And the huge connectors don’t help either.
I had one for a short time and ditched it for this.
Yes, it’s pre programmed, and has limited adjustability without a PC connection… but works exactly as expected.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
The Dobeck controller on my R is Velcro'd to the bottom of the clamshell for easy access for tuning - Ron if it will fit there is room behind the fuel tank and ahead of the rear fender skirt I've got an emergency tire plug kit stowed in there -

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Any reason they're going with the fuel pack? thought that computer was extremely limited in its ability to tune
Personally I think the Fuel Pak is a piece of crap but it came in the box with the bike. It does run lean in spots and as mickey mouse as this injector pulse modifier is, it can be enough to make it better. My go to is PV, otherwords but in this case, no sensors so the guy is looking at additional Target Tune for the best outcome. Otherwise it's load a map and hit the low , mid and high areas with percentage fuel. Otherwords a guess, as it is with any no sensor bike, not using the sensors for tuning. Not in his budget, so that's out, anyway.
Ron

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron-
Yup- with the ecm location, and the short harness on the fuel pak… you either need to make room under the rear seat to “piggyback” it, or drop it under the inner fender by cutting some sheet metal. And the huge connectors don’t help either.
I had one for a short time and ditched it for this.
Yes, it’s pre programmed, and has limited adjustability without a PC connection… but works exactly as expected.
Well, not going to hack the shit out of the bike so that's out. Interesting tuner you posted.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Ron did you find that area behind the tank ? Looks to me like lots of room in there for it - you could velcro it to the back of the tank and/or fender, wires out the top to the ECU along the OEM bundle - IMHO these simple controllers are fine for a stage one engine, with a few tweaks my R runs perfect but yes there may be 1-2 Hp and 1-2 Mpg that I may have left on the table but overall good enough - my stage 2 engine everyone here convinced me, so definitely PV and W/B sensors to set that up correctly -

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the Dobeck controller as well and sits in front of the battery behind those little louvers. Easy to get to and program. It has been flawless for years. Knock on wood.

Maybe you can change the owners mind if you tell him his options.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ron did you find that area behind the tank ? Looks to me like lots of room in there for it - you could velcro it to the back of the tank and/or fender, wires out the top to the ECU along the OEM bundle - IMHO these simple controllers are fine for a stage one engine, with a few tweaks my R runs perfect but yes there may be 1-2 Hp and 1-2 Mpg that I may have left on the table but overall good enough - my stage 2 engine everyone here convinced me, so definitely PV and W/B sensors to set that up correctly -
No, the issue is short teen age boner stiff wiring bundles that limit where you can move it to. Basically nowhere but the intended area but under the passenger seat will not allow room for it for a nice clean install without hogging plastic and foam out. Don't want to butcher the bike that way. All he mentioned was that typical 3-4k range no as smooth as it should be. Wonder if my PC will fit that I picked up for spare parts? Quick look and the wiring is a bit longer and more flexible. Will check that out but doubtful. I'll pass the ones mentioned here along to him.
Ron

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
Well, not going to hack the shit out of the bike so that's out.
Detailed road test report when done?
Maybe you end up with an R yourself... :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like your having the same issue I drilled two holes and sawed between them to install the PCIII usb. I wasn't worried about cutting the metal fender I have a spare. You cant see any of this after you put the rear seat on. If your worried about originality there is a VRSCR fender on sale on E-bay for $66 you could chop away on or keep as a spare.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Too tall for me. I'm still figuring out if I can ride it. Don't like the tip toe thing sitting on it.
Ron
yea the R is definitely taller than a reg V Rod but underway it's a non issue. Best bet is put the rear shocks on 1st or 2nd preload step to lower it a bit while getting the feel for it - then crank it back up to 3 or 4. I'm used to riding off road bikes with like 36"+ seat heights and 11+ inches of suspension travel so the R feels like a low rider :LOL: to me - but yea, you have to be careful paddling it around the garage sitting on it - if you try to push off and have that foot on a loose mat or piece of cardboard it's possible to tip it over real quick due to being top heavy a bit so I usually walk it in the garage standing on the left side and always biker shoes with good traction tread on the bottom - when stopping at lights tilting it left or right on one foot helps a lot I usually go with right down so left foot can put it in first without switching the foot down and just use front brake to hold on hills - great bike though it hauls ass, stops and actually steers great compared to a regular V Rod so the R is almost a " standard " M/C. (y):cool:

·
pronounced "shane"
449 Posts
Too tall for me. I'm still figuring out if I can ride it. Don't like the tip toe thing sitting on it.
Ron
My inseam is 27.5". My approach to this tall but one-of-a-kind hog was...

1. Works Performance Shocks (This was the expensive route. Instead, you can get shock lowering kits for $20 - $100).
2. Seat carved out and gel inserted by Rich's Custom Seats in WA.
3. Boots with big heels (I prefer Haix Airpower P3, getting hard to find now).

I can flatfoot. Look at pics of my bike in my gallery and you'll see the difference in the seat contour (definitely notched) and contrast that with the stock seat set up. Foam was also removed from the side (where inside of thighs touch).

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Schoen if you lowered the back you can drop the triple trees on the forks about 20mm ( so the forks come up to the top of the triple clamps almost ) and that will even out the bike and make it steer better if you haven't lowered the front with lowering springs yet - (y) :cool:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Detailed road test report when done?
Maybe you end up with an R yourself... :eek:
Got to ride it. Quite an adjustment from forward to mids and the tall bike makes two flat feet impossible. Overall, the bike is fine but the only thing that stands out as better then my 13 DX is it does corner much better. Very obvious that way between the two. Suspension feels the same between the two as does overall vibration level. Height was the only real negative for me. That and the seat plus new leg actions gave me sore thighs by the time I was done test riding it.
Ron

·
Registered
645 Posts
If it’s the stock seat it sucks. But yes, it actually likes to turn (for what it is) and can be a lot of fun.
how did the fuel pak turn out?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it’s the stock seat it sucks. But yes, it actually likes to turn (for what it is) and can be a lot of fun.
how did the fuel pak turn out?
Never put it on due to needing to hack rear seat up to get it to fit. Bike runs like total shit below 3500, then smooths out so definitely needs some form of fuel management. He said he don't care about the seat after the fact. Told him to remove the seat, load the cal I gave him for modes and numbers and test it. If there's a good improvement, do the seat hack. If not, I do have a PCV, I could poke and stab at the trim values to make it work. Longer softer cable to work with as well. Good old electronic screw driver tune. LOL. Those damn numbers in the FP, seem to be top secret and might be difficult to work with and not really a fan of what I see with it. I would rather have O2 sensors to work with to do it right but a close map and trim edits can improve it. Money is always the deciding factor on his end.
Well, crap, just checked and it seems my 15-006 won't work on his 07. ECM plug is different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts