Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 591 Posts

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I thought I would make this post since I have had a lot of questions about the 08 wheels on my bike since the rally. If someone wants to make it a sticky somewhere then so be it. I didn’t post earlier because I made my own spacers for my wheels from my own measurements and I was only able to put about 100 miles on the wheels before the motor gave up in the bike. I wanted to have more miles before I posted my measurements. I don’t want to be responsible for someone getting hurt. If your rotors don’t run in the center of the caliper from incorrect spacing you are looking at a best case scenario of premature pad wear and worse case of some type of brake/bearing failure resulting in an accident. So please if you do this make sure that your wheel bearings have proper support from the inside wheel sleeve or you will be putting to much of a side load on your inner bearing race, and make sure your rotors run true down the middle of your calipers.

These new 2008 VRSCD 5 spoke blade wheels are the lightest wheels H-D makes for the V-Rod and at around $215 a piece from Zanotti’s it may be the cheapest to. On top of those two pluses they look great as well, and will look even better when someone decides to polish or chrome them. The front wheel is 43380-08 and the rear wheel is 43509-08. This is a cheap alternative to the Buell conversion. Still not as light, but cheaper and you keep you stock tire height. Your 02-05 Hays style and your 2006-2007 (and 05 R) rotors will all mount on these wheels fine.

I weighed V-Rod rear wheels for comparison. These are wheels only, no tires, sleeves, bearing or any hardware of any kind.

16 lbs. -The new 08 VRSCD 5 spoke blade wheel
19 lbs. – The 10 spoke VRSCR style wheel
20 lbs – the 180 slotted disc wheel
21 lbs. – The 180 solid disc wheels
25 lbs - The 240 slotted disc AW/DX wheels
Boat Anchor- 180-240 Reactor wheels

So you can see they are light in comparison and the fronts are even more so.

Here are your three options that I think you can use for the wheels.

Option 1. MJW930 (Mark) had a great post earlier about the fact that Harley offers spacer kits.
Here's the link to the '07 and earlier kit:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Here's the link to the '08 kit:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

The front wheel spacer kit would be 43848-08 and the rear wheels spacer kit would be a 43861-08. I have not used these kits and do not know the availability of them. From reading them they appear to be what you need I just have no experience with them? If someone buys the kits and installs 08 wheels on an older bike please post about your success.

Option 2 The 2008 non ABS wheel bearings are a HD9276. The dimensions are 25mm ID, 52mm OD, and 14.95mm in width. The problem with this is the ID. Your old 1” axle HD9247 bearing have an ID of 25.30mm, OD of 52mm, of 20.95mm (these are all measurements with digital calipers). If you could find a bearing manufacture that had a bearing with the OD and width of the 2008 HD9276 bearing but the ID of the 9247 bearing you could essentially use stock sleeve and spacer measurements off of an 2008 as well. I didn’t have much luck finding these at a couple of bearing suppliers so I gave up and went with option 3. Maybe someone else has a better hook up. Just food for thought the 08 ABS wheel bearing (HD9252) is wider then the 9276 at 18.05mm and is distinguished by its grey and red seals.

Option 3. OK this will be a long one. I used 9247 bearings in my 08 wheels. If you follow your manual and you press the bearing into the primary side first which on a V-Rod is left side of the front wheel and brake disc or right side of the rear wheel you will bottom out the bearing race in the bearing bore of the wheel. If you can’t tell the primary/left side of a front wheel it typical has stamps, part number and other writing on it. On an older wheel you then install the wheel sleeve in the center of the wheel and press the other side of the wheel bearing in and it bottoms out on the sleeve or floats in the bore. The bearing on the non-primary side does not bottom out on the bore the inner race of the bearing bottoms on the sleeve.

If you put the stock sleeve out of your older wheel in an 08 up against the race of the seated primary bearing you will see that your old spacer falls short of about .040” below the bottom of the bearing bore of the opposite side. This is on both front and rear. If you were to install the bearings like this the inner race of the bearing would not have the lateral support it needs and would fail. So we need a .040 longer wheel sleeve. If you start with 343704-01 sleeves you can make this happen. The stock length of and older front wheel sleeve is 94.88mm or 3.7355”. The stock length of a 180 rear wheel sleeve is 145.71mm or 5.7365”. If you take a 343704-01 wheel spacer and cut it down to 3.7755” (3.7355” + the increased .040”) you now have a wide enough front wheel sleeve to support the bearings. This will need to be done with the rear wheel as well. Since it is hard to cut off a .040” sliver of sleeve to add to the rear wheel sleeve I cut two of the 343701-01 down to 2.88825” Now these two stacked are the length of the stock rear wheel sleeve of 5.7365” plus the additional .040” which gives us a total stack up of 5.7765”. After both of these are installed you should be able to install the no primary side bearing.

Now for spacers. I may scare you guys some here because I did all my stack up measurements over and over and found that I needed to remove .090” from the right rear wheel spacer and the front left wheel spacer. The rear wheel went on and lined up perfect. The front wheel went on fine but after installed I saw that my left rotor was running bias to outer left side of the caliper. I installed the stock spacer back in the wheel and it fell perfectly center in the rotors which didn’t make since to me. So be prepared to remove .090 from the wheels spacers but you may hold off on the front until you mock it up first.

Again if that Harley-Davidson kit that Mark posted is the right one and is available I would highly suggest purchasing that and saving some hassle. I don’t suggest you do option three. I just posted it because I had a lot of people ask me how I did it. If I had the bike at home still I would take pictures but I don’t. Below I will recap part numbers I used.

(1) 343701-01 sleeve cut to 3.7755” for the front wheel
(2) 343701-01 sleeves cut to 2.88825” and stacked together for the rear wheel.
(3) 9247 wheel bearings (or use you old ones out of your wheels)
(1) 43509-08 – 2008 VRSCD 5 spoke rear wheel
(1) 43380-08 - 2008 VRSCD 5 spoke front wheel.

Hope this helps someone, and if not at least it has some good weights and part numbers for reference.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Damn, that was a good read for those of us that are looking at this option. :notworth:

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Thank you, Ray. My wheels are on order, and I will order the bearing kit, as Mark reccomends. After Tyson powdercoats them, I will mock everything up, and take pictures. Wish me luck! Joe

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CPTJAM said:
Thank you, Ray. My wheels are on order, and I will order the bearing kit, as Mark reccomends. After Tyson powdercoats them, I will mock everything up, and take pictures. Wish me luck! Joe
Cool Joe, when you ordered the spacer kit did they say they were available or on backorder or anything? Let us know how long it takes to get the wheels and kits.

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You never no, you have a wide front end so you could likey take one rotor off and put the right spacing and run it in the front and space up the rear and rigid mount a sprocket.....I bet it could be done pretty easy.

Joe I will let you know when your burn out wears off. It is like you are saying hi to me everyday I come to work. It makes me smile every time.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
:dance: UPS says my wheels are on the way to Tyson - they are in Lenexa, right now. Should be in St. Joseph NLT Wednesday. No data on the kits yet.
It is a race to see if I can get it together before the snow!

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Here are some PN's I've put together in one post for pre 07' bikes. I know it's a double post but I thought it belongs in this thread too.:D

Front wheel = 43380-08http://chicagoharley.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=329158
$220.80
Rear wheel = 43509-08http://chicagoharley.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=329170
$220.80

43848-08http://chicagoharley.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=312890
KIT, WHEEL INSTALLATION 3/4 BEARING
1" Axle - Front
$55.20

43861-08http://chicagoharley.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=312893
1" Axle - Rear
$55.20

Now. Chicago H-D says these are 3/4". H-D's web site says 1"??

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Thanks Bill. I'm already :broke: and now you go and dangle this in front of me like a twinkie in front of the fat kid at lunch...sheesh...:banghead:

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Biker Bill said:
Here are some PN's I've put together in one post for pre 07' bikes. I know it's a double post but I thought it belongs in this thread too.:D

Front wheel = 43380-08http://chicagoharley.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=329158
$220.80
Rear wheel = 43509-08http://chicagoharley.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=329170
$220.80

43848-08http://chicagoharley.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=312890
1" Axle - Front
$55.20

43861-08http://chicagoharley.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=312893
1" Axle - Rear
$55.20

Now. Chicago H-D says these are 3/4". H-D's web site says 1"??
Bill, thanks. Have you actaully used the spacer kit yet though. I have not read about anyone using this spacer kit with success yet. I would definetly suggest using HD's kit oppossed to making your own I just haven't seen one work yet. Still waiting for feedback from someone on this so we can give everyone the thumbs up to start ordering these.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on this. I can be the guinea pig!

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Alright, the parts are on order, spoke with Adam at Zanotti's and he said less than 2 weeks to arrive at my door. More to come

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
vrodcustoms said:
Bill, thanks. Have you actaully used the spacer kit yet though. I have not read about anyone using this spacer kit with success yet. I would definetly suggest using HD's kit oppossed to making your own I just haven't seen one work yet. Still waiting for feedback from someone on this so we can give everyone the thumbs up to start ordering these.
No not yet Ray. I am using this kit based on Harley saying this is the one I need, and your suggestion, (OK... mostly your suggestion.):D I too will post up my results. Although it will be a month or so before MY LOVELY WIFE purchases them for me.:D I am taking you up on your advice not to make my own seeing all the trouble you went through.:D I do have the ability to grind/turn the axle sleeves or spacers if need be. Hope they arn't too short to begin with!

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool good luck brother!!!! I really just want the info to get on Milwaukee if these kits aren't working. Which plant do you work at Bill?

1 - 20 of 591 Posts