Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me start by informing all that I'm not a 'rodder ... yet. I'm a Honda guy since I've been on 2 wheels, presently on a VTX1800 about which I have no complaints. In fact, so far it's the best bike I've ever owned. But I've been eyeballing the V-Rod ever since it came out, and this '08 candy red AW at the local stealer is calling out to me. No, it sang to me, tempting me with promises of mile after mile of shoulder-wrenching bliss ... :angelwin:

Oh, sorry. So anyway ... I sat on it an unprecedented 3rd time on the floor before hitting the road, and now I've got the itch. Bad. But before I scratch it, I gotta find out all I can about what I'm gonna scratch it with. Since test drives around here are pretty hard to come by (and the V was the only one they WEREN'T demoing this past demo day), you wonderful folks are my only hope.

After lurking around the board here for awhile, I can see that the bike is everything I've heard about it and more. What I'd like to know is, from anybody who has an AW with the 240 rear, how does it like the twisties? I have a penchant for scraping pegs, even on this land yacht of mine, which for a big bike doesn't mind being thrown around corners. Being that the V is lighter than the X and feels like it has a lower center of gravity, I would guess that it wouldn't be any less nimble. But I've heard that these 240 beasties need a little more grunt to knock 'em off vertical ... so I'm just wondering if there's any truth to that rumor, and if so, how much.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide ...
ed

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Do it!, I don't think you'll regret it. Best bike I have ever ridden.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
First...welcome!

Second, when it comes to a 240 on the turns and twisties..it is different, but it is not bad. The tire has a tendency to want to stay on the "flat" part of the tire, versus it's curved portions, so you just have to "press" or "push" harder to get the bike to lean.

Same thing in the turns....you just need to lean into them more, to get the V to make a nice, sharper turn. With the 240, it wants to go wide :)

·
Banned
405 Posts
DO IT!

The 08 is a fun bike. I love mine and the 240 is great going in hard on those twisties. Next post should be pic's of you on the bike in your driveway. :)

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
I can't speak for the AW although it is a gogeous bike and my buddy that has one has no complaints what so ever in how the bike handles. However if it is still of a concern to you, consider a "D". The D (NightRod) is different than the DX (NightRod Special), the D has mid controls, forward highway pegs and a 180 rear.

Regardless of which model you choose you won't be sorry. Now get out there an get you one!

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
To buy or not to buy!

I've got a '07AW and when I'm not commuting to and from the job (160 miles a day RT) I'm looking for twisties to toss the bike through. If you've got the 'nad's, the bike can handle what ever you throw at it. The low CG is a definitely plus there is absolutely no top-heavy feel at all. I don't know all the physics behind a wide tire vs a regular one, but mentally I'm more comfortable with a larger rubber footprint under me.

So my advice is DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT.....you won't regret it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, thank you ...

Shadow11 said:
However if it is still of a concern to you, consider a "D". The D (NightRod) is different than the DX (NightRod Special), the D has mid controls, forward highway pegs and a 180 rear.

Regardless of which model you choose you won't be sorry. Now get out there an get you one!
This is just the kind of sense I was hoping I'd get here.

I wouldn't exactly call it a concern ... maybe wondering more if it should be a concern. I think it's safe to say that it ain't.

I love the look of the 240, and I actually prefer the forward controls of the AW. They're just forward enough without causing the 'clamshell' like the M109. My X is pretty comfortable, but being 5'9", it's a fair reach to the bars for me; not a stretch, but I'd like 'em closer. Sitting on that new AW, the pullback of the bars felt like it was made for me. I'm tellin' ya, it called to me. I even got the nod from the residential social/domestic/economic adviser (my wife). What the hell am I waiting for....

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
......I even got the nod from the residential social/domestic/economic adviser (my wife).........
Well whatya waiting for???Ditch that honda and get that V,you won't regret it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Former Honda VTX'er here.........

..... and I don't miss the Honda at all.

For a fat cruiser, I did like the VTX a lot more then the Harleys, but then there's the piece of art and engineering that is the Vrod. Scratch, brother.:vrod:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
That pretty much sums itn up. Well?????? We're waiting. HONDA= Harley Owners Never Dare Argue!

·
Banned
405 Posts
So we gonna get pics of your new bike today or what?!? :)

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Trust me - if the dealer thinks you are interested, they'll give you a demo ride. Once you've done that, you'll be hooked. I rode a Candy Apple Red 08 AW last Saturday - very nice bike, if a little short in the cockpit for my gorilla arms. The bike handles superbly and is adept in the turns (smooth, hooks up well w/no surprises), though you'll find your heels touching down first - the D model won't scrape quite as easily if you're on the mid pegs, but is pretty cramped for me w/mid controls and low seat. There are a lot of great foreign bikes out there, but none of them hold a candle to the V for its combination of technology, style, handling, performance and curb appeal. Buy one! :ride: :D

·
Big Dawg
705 Posts
I promise you will not regret it. I have been riding for many years and this is the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Say man, just listen to the music, you say it's calling, just listen to the music.:D You won't reget it.:thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are brutal. I should have known better than to look for advice about buying a V-Rod on a V-Rod board. :D

I started lurking here to see what issues I should be aware of, and dammit I don't see anything that looks anything close to a red flag. (A finicky fuel gauge -- big deal, I've never had a fuel gauge anyway.) I'm sure that if/when I pull the trigger, I won't be sorry. I love to ride, and everything I've seen and heard suggests that this bike was made for how I like to ride.

The problem right now is two-fold. First, I still love my X. I had a little brake issue that laid it up for 4 weeks earlier this summer, but it's a great bike and I've almost got it set up where I want it. That doesn't mean I'm married to it, but I do have a lot invested in it, which is the reason for issue #2: :broke:

I've got to get some finances in order first; it's also getting towards the end of riding season up here in what will soon be the tundra called a New England winter, so I can't see carrying a note for a ride I can only look at ... as beautiful as the 'Rod is to look at, that would still be too painful. Although in the garage, I could sit on it too; hmmmm....

It's pretty likely that it's gonna happen, but probably not until the spring. This great board with you awesome members certainly helps make that decision easier. Unless ... any of you nice people have about $8K hanging around that you don't know what to do with? Or if 8,000 of you send me $1 each, I could wrap this up real quick like and wouldn't have to prolong the inevitable. What do you get out of it? Well, think of all those pics I could be posting by the weekend! :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
18to12fitty said:
You guys are brutal. I should have known better than to look for advice about buying a V-Rod on a V-Rod board. :D

I started lurking here to see what issues I should be aware of, and dammit I don't see anything that looks anything close to a red flag. (A finicky fuel gauge -- big deal, I've never had a fuel gauge anyway.) I'm sure that if/when I pull the trigger, I won't be sorry. I love to ride, and everything I've seen and heard suggests that this bike was made for how I like to ride.

The problem right now is two-fold. First, I still love my X. I had a little brake issue that laid it up for 4 weeks earlier this summer, but it's a great bike and I've almost got it set up where I want it. That doesn't mean I'm married to it, but I do have a lot invested in it, which is the reason for issue #2: :broke:

I've got to get some finances in order first; it's also getting towards the end of riding season up here in what will soon be the tundra called a New England winter, so I can't see carrying a note for a ride I can only look at ... as beautiful as the 'Rod is to look at, that would still be too painful. Although in the garage, I could sit on it too; hmmmm....

It's pretty likely that it's gonna happen, but probably not until the spring. This great board with you awesome members certainly helps make that decision easier. Unless ... any of you nice people have about $8K hanging around that you don't know what to do with? Or if 8,000 of you send me $1 each, I could wrap this up real quick like and wouldn't have to prolong the inevitable. What do you get out of it? Well, think of all those pics I could be posting by the weekend! :D
Its the end of your riding season, thats the best time to find deals. If you wait till next spring, your going to pay full price. Make the deal!:notworth:

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
hd-v-rodder said:
Its the end of your riding season, thats the best time to find deals. If you wait till next spring, your going to pay full price. Make the deal!:notworth:
:them: ...find yourself a deal out there somewhere now at the end of the season; buy the bike, get what ride time you can before the heavy winter comes and then work on mods through the winter. You might be more :broke: :broke: than before but you won't feel bad about it. :D :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts