Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this new body kit almost installed and I'm taking a break from covering myself in fiberglass to try wiring a taillight. It's got three wires for each light and I was wondering if I can use them as brake, running lights and blinkers?
I've never done any wiring on anything before so anything is helpful. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here are my thoughts for better or worse.

Those three wires you have there will only operate the brake light. Ceigenberger stated the likely wiring order. What you need is a VRod wiring diagram so that you can solder those wires with the existing brake light. I am sorry but I don't know those colors off hand.

If you want to integrate blinkers into the tail lights then you will need a bulb or blinker with all of those functions. Looking at the wiring it appears that you want to go with double tail lights, something like one on each side of the bike. You can connect them and go with a single light if you prefer.

Multipurpose LED light bulbs specifically 1157 used to be really popular, I don't see them around as much. If you can find them they will allow you to connect blinkers, running tail light, and break light all in one bulb. So that is four to five wires depending on if the blinker function requires its own ground.

As far as tools and materials go, I recommend a soldering iron, heat shrink tubing, and a multi-meter. Watch some basic videos on soldering and how voltage and amps works and you will be good to go. Beware, many people make these techniques way more complicated than they need to be.

I hope this is helpful.

My curiosity is that you say you are covered in fiber glass, did you make this kit? What kit is it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts