Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for my initial service on my R. I originally thought I'd do all the work on my bike now I'm not sure. I made the appointment for this weekend, it happens to be the weekend of a good bike event:banghead: I didn't get the service manual yet either. So it looks like I'll have to miss the ride, as I don't want to go any further past the 1000 miles than I already have. (I'm at 1200)

What has to be done to the bike on the first serve that justifies the $225? Is is something that your average joe can do? I can change oil on a bike, been doing it on cars and dirtbikes for years. Anything special?

Finally, does it void the warranty to "do it yourself" on this any any other service?

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Bgjames111 said:
It's time for my initial service on my R. I originally thought I'd do all the work on my bike now I'm not sure. I made the appointment for this weekend, it happens to be the weekend of a good bike event:banghead: I didn't get the service manual yet either. So it looks like I'll have to miss the ride, as I don't want to go any further past the 1000 miles than I already have. (I'm at 1200)

What has to be done to the bike on the first serve that justifies the $225? Is is something that your average joe can do? I can change oil on a bike, been doing it on cars and dirtbikes for years. Anything special?

Finally, does it void the warranty to "do it yourself" on this any any other service?
It will not void your warranty, just keep the receipts. :deal:
The 1K is an oil change and an inspection/adjustment of the bike. There's a list and schedule in the service manual (the manual is worth it's weight in gold). I'd let them do the 1K so you can get it done quick and then get a manual and do the rest yourself. The onlt thing that's even slightly difficult is the steering head adjustment or "fallaway", and that's not that hard. When you take it in, I'd ask them to have the tech adjust the fallaway to the tight side. I needed to tighten mine a little tighter than spec to get rid of the front end "clunk".
Also, even after the 1K you should check/tighten the hose clamps on all the coolant lines. They are commonly not that tight on a new bike and may spring a leak.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just had mine done (at 1400 miles) 'cause it was included with the purchase and I have yet to get the manual. They had it for 1 1/2 hours and the service board quotes the service at about the same price as yours.

Amazing: $250-$300 for an hour's work. (Change the oil/filter and check the fasteners.) I'll be doing the overpriced oil changes on my own from now on since I can put in AmsOil and check my own fasteners for about 1/4 the price of the service, and probably faster.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts