Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped the bike this morning. I hit a a long pile of broken safety glass with the front wheel as I was breaking at an intersection. The glass was tinted and was almost invisible on the road and as slick as a pile of BBs. It looks like it was left over from a collision last night.

The bike went over to the right and slid about ten feet on the pipes and engine guard. No other damage to the ride. The guard held nicely. I'm glad it was there.

I wear a full face helmet which kept my chin from dragging along the curb. The helmet (HJC Symax) shows a little curb scraping now. I'm a bit stiff but otherwise okay.

All in all, nothing was that can't be fixed with a couple greenbacks. I rode the bike home and all is well.

Cheers!!
Rich

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
wow Rich, Glad you are OK.
Did you file a police report and ask why all the glass was not cleaned off the road after the accident that occured ?

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shawn,

In our county the tow truck drivers are the post accident cleanup crew. I talked to the county sherrif 's deputy who confirmed that there was an accident last night. It looks like an honest mistake...I couldn't see it in daylight so I'm sure they couldn't see it last night. The deputy pulled out his own broom and swept the road clear. He's done motorcycle duty from time to time. Neither of us wanted to see anyone else go down.

The damage isn't large enough to justify an insurance claim. I'll take the hit on this one...it's not too bad and could've been much worse.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Glad your OK! Sounds like all will be well!

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
And I keep being teased by other more "traditional" HD fans about ME wearing a full face helmet. It's like the seat belt in cars, without it I feel incomplete. Glad everything turned out minor.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Rich, first, I am glad you are okay. Second, THANKS for bringing up a hazard I have yet to hear anyone talk about....the shattered glass!

Gary

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Glad to hear your alright Richard, the bike can always be fixed.

Max

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad your OK but you helmet may not be. I know some manufacturers offer swaps. You should contact them tell them you were in an accident. They may ask you to send it to them, for examination, and send you a brand new one! Or maybe just give it an OK and send it back. Even a slight impact can render a helmet unsafe. I looked on their site but couldn’t find any info. You can e-mail them at [email protected] and ask.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks noinfo. That's a good suggestion. The minor damage to the helmet is more from scraping than from impact. The inquiry has been sent to HJC though I don't expect too much from them as I've always seen them at the lower end of the spectrum. This should be interesting.

Have a great weekend!

- R

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let me know how it works out. I am planning on getting a full face and would like to know what their policy is and what their customer service is like.

·
Registered
503 Posts
glad you're all-right... that about seals my decision for a full face... one nice thing about a v rod.. it's a Harley you can get away with wearing a full face helmet on!!!

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Glad to hear that you are OK.

·
skin changer
824 Posts
Rich,
Glad your OK and the bike has only minor $$ problems.
I think it is very good that you shared your experience...most riders don't want to admit they went down.
The glass like BB statement just might help another member...or me down the road.
I took the advanced rider course yesterday...for the first time and picked up a couple pointers that I hadn't known in my previous 30 years of riding. You can never be to cautious and you can learn everyday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts