Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around the forums for some time now, trying to educate myself about the v rod the night rod special in particular. I'm going to go for my motorcycle license next Friday. I'm 30 years old and had have quite a few fast cars. But I've been wanting a bike for some time now and i just love the night rod it looks so sick. But for a first bike I'm just wondering if its too much bike. I don't even know anyone thats even driven a vrod. I driven dirt bikes as a teenager, and the only street bike I've ridden was a rebel 250. I would like some insight from the pros thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Hellkite. Rec'd first "bike" Honda 50cc for 5th b-day. Rode dirt/enduro and Honda 500 & 750 4-cyl road bikes in teens/20s. Hadn't riden in 20 yrs. Took safety course, bought previously loved 06 NightRod 10 days later in June. Have had a BLAST. Lots of power and torque....STRONGLY urge safety class. Have had it up to 120mph, then helmet wants to ride up! More gas stops than other bikes with 3.7gal tank. Bike has some balls. Son drove it 2wks ago, cocky 23 year old...about put it down getting on throttle leaving gas station...cooled his jets, smashed calf against footpeg, made nice indentation & pretty colors! Doesn't want to ride until he pays for his own! Works for me...hubby won't touch it! LOL.
Live to Ride - Ride to Live.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
You're 30 years old, I'm guessing you're over the "look how cool I am" phase of the male life. With that said, if this is the bike you want then this is the bike you should get. No such thing as a starter bike. Just because the bike can do 130mph doesn't mean you must take it there every time. 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds..... nope, no law requiring you to get to 60mph in 3 seconds or less.
Ride with sense, take the MSF safety course, and get your bike.

·
Live 2 Ride
70 Posts
I've been looking around the forums for some time now, trying to educate myself about the v rod the night rod special in particular. I'm going to go for my motorcycle license next Friday. I'm 30 years old and had have quite a few fast cars. But I've been wanting a bike for some time now and i just love the night rod it looks so sick. But for a first bike I'm just wondering if its too much bike. I don't even know anyone thats even driven a vrod. I driven dirt bikes as a teenager, and the only street bike I've ridden was a rebel 250. I would like some insight from the pros thanks in advance for your advice.
Bought my first street bike ever back in Februrary of this year and it was a 2005 Vrod. Its been a blast...I've put 7k miles on the bike since I got it and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner. If it's the bike you like - go for it!

As the other person said in this thread...no such thing as a starter bike.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
With any bike being your first bike you have to determine what kind of rider you are. If you are a balls to the wall person and want to ride like that I would recommend a moped. :) You will live a lot longer. The VRod has a lot of power but it doesn't corner like a sport bike. Your feet are in front of you which makes it more of a cruiser (OK there are mid controlled ones). I love the V and wouldn't want any other bike but one I would make myself and even then I would keep the V.

If you want something that is completely stylish but has the balls to back it up get the V. If you are fat, have a gray beard and an ugly girl that dresses slutty get any other harley...

-Keith

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
HEY - I kinda like girls who dress slutty!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Only when they are hot! If your stomach sticks out more than your boobs do, don't wear a leather halter top!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response, no grey beard or beer gut hear. my girl's got a smoken body. But as far as Harley's go the v rod has got to be the best handling bike they make right?

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Thanks for the response, no grey beard or beer gut hear. my girl's got a smoken body. But as far as Harley's go the v rod has got to be the best handling bike they make right?
There are a few Sportsters that probably out handle it. They sit higher, more lean angle, less rake and shorter wheel base.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In my opinion............

Although it may not be the best handling Harley Davidson made, it certainly is the most advanced bike they make and handles pretty damn well. Again, in my opinion it's the best model of motorcycles they make, hands down. It's now the 21st century and they still actually manufacture motors with push rods in them. Granted, they perform pretty well for an ancient design but the Revolution motor is leaps and bounds ahead of the Evolution motor or any other HD motor. Just my opinions.
Ed

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
no matter what bike you purchase. its only going to go as fast as you make it go. its all in throttle control. find a nice parking lot to go to and get the feel for the bike, the brakes and its delivery. exercise easy throttle and low RPM shifts until you get confident. this applies to any bike you purchase. in the end the throttle is in your hand and it wont go any faster than you make it. if you want a nightrod special then thats the bike you should get. if you have had dirt bikes already then thats a huge plus. dirt bike riding teaches some of the most important skills. good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have had it up to 120mph, then helmet wants to ride up!

this has always been a big sport bike riders issue. the easy fix for that is ARAI HELMETS. they are by far the best helmet i have used. had a bad accident and smashed my head on the ground, totaled the bike, but did not feel a thing on my face or head thanks to the ARAI. not to mention they fit soo well they dont move at high speeds. i personally have gotten away from the speed, but for those of you that choose to max out the VRSC then the ARAI wont move.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Although it may not be the best handling Harley Davidson made, it certainly is the most advanced bike they make and handles pretty damn well. Again, in my opinion it's the best model of motorcycles they make, hands down. It's now the 21st century and they still actually manufacture motors with push rods in them. Granted, they perform pretty well for an ancient design but the Revolution motor is leaps and bounds ahead of the Evolution motor or any other HD motor. Just my opinions.
Ed
I agree, after owning many Harleys and a couple of Hayabusa's, I can say this is Harley showing some impressive technology. It accelerates similar to a sport bike, handles smoothly, and runs cool in the Texas heat. I bought mine on Ebay having never ridden one, so I was not sure what to expect. I have enjoyed every minute of it. I would say on buying your first bike, don't under size yourself on your ride. The Harley shops are full of used Sportsters that people decided to buy as their first bike thinking the others would be too big for a first bike. Usually they realize within the first month they would have been more comfortable on a larger displacement bike. Its all in the twist of the wrist. Just because the bike can run 120,130 or whatever doesn't mean you have to do it, at least not all the time.

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
it is my 1st MC and I am loving it-at a young 48yrs. old...did I just say 48?!?:D btw- my 1st 800 miles on the bike were back and forth between Lake Mead and Las Vegas on an awesome desert mountain road

·
Registered
164 Posts
it is my 1st MC and I am loving it-at a young 48yrs. old...did I just say 48?!?:D btw- my 1st 800 miles on the bike were back and forth between Lake Mead and Las Vegas on an awesome desert mountain road
would love to see some pics from that ride. it just sounds beautiful. love vegas and lake mead. i see your avatar and that looks like a cool pic. please post some ride pics of other pics you may have of your yellow chrome. thats such a nice color

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
how can I post pix stored on my computer? (sorry, but I have to ask):helpme:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts