Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ferocity Velocity
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally ran the Nightrod at the track just out of curiosity tonight. My first pass was 11.89 @ 115.5. Unfortunately, my second (and last pass) was 13.0 @ 109. I tried launching harder on pass #2 and ended up with the back end coming out from under me pretty good - then, she started breaking up at just over 7k rpm in every gear . . . . I'm assuming H-D engineers didn't feel like I had the bike warmed up properly?? Does anyone know if there is a secondary rev limiter for when the bike isn't completely up to operating temperature? (and if there is, wouldn't it have been cool if H-D would have given us temp gauges so we could see where we need to be before pinning it to redline...!). Anyway, I was happy with the 1st pass considering the bike has no performance mods whatsoever. Eventually, the plan is to add the D&D Fat Cat exhaust w/ PCIII. Hopefully, this will not only improve the sound and look, but the performance as well . . . . .?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice run for sure. I have seen a lot slower times for sure. I do think there is a rev limiter set at 7k for warm up purposes.:notworth:

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Yes, there is a secondary rev limiter, if the bike hasn't been on for 15 minutes or hasn't reached operating temp it redlines at 7k rpm instead of 9k.

·
Ferocity Velocity
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Next time I try out the D at the track, I'll be sure to warm her up more first!

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Holy crap, that's a great first run! Nice one! I haven't been able to break into the 11's yet, but there's hope...

·
Ferocity Velocity
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NightMare said:
Holy crap, that's a great first run! Nice one! I haven't been able to break into the 11's yet, but there's hope...
Thanks! And I'm sure you'll get an 11 soon if you spend much time at the strip.....just takes lots of seat time, IMO. I spent all summer on my other bike at the drag strip and finally earned my NHRA license last week so even though it was my first pass on the H-D, I am pretty well acquainted with the track:D

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Logan Patch said:
Thanks! And I'm sure you'll get an 11 soon if you spend much time at the strip.....just takes lots of seat time, IMO. I spent all summer on my other bike at the drag strip and finally earned my NHRA license last week so even though it was my first pass on the H-D, I am pretty well acquainted with the track:D
Cool...that's what I'm hoping to do when I get back from overseas. That's awesome though...it's great to hear about all these track exploits!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Logan Patch said:
Well, I finally ran the Nightrod at the track just out of curiosity tonight. My first pass was 11.89 @ 115.5. Unfortunately, my second (and last pass) was 13.0 @ 109. I tried launching harder on pass #2 and ended up with the back end coming out from under me pretty good - then, she started breaking up at just over 7k rpm in every gear . . . . I'm assuming H-D engineers didn't feel like I had the bike warmed up properly?? Does anyone know if there is a secondary rev limiter for when the bike isn't completely up to operating temperature? (and if there is, wouldn't it have been cool if H-D would have given us temp gauges so we could see where we need to be before pinning it to redline...!). Anyway, I was happy with the 1st pass considering the bike has no performance mods whatsoever. Eventually, the plan is to add the D&D Fat Cat exhaust w/ PCIII. Hopefully, this will not only improve the sound and look, but the performance as well . . . . .?
if engine temp is under about 172 degrees the bike will hit an early rev limiter. i can`t be more specific because even the guys at harley tech can`t tell you the exact tempature that overides the early rev limiter. i have done enough dyno runs to know if you are above 175 degrees it will rev to the high limit.

·
Ferocity Velocity
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what rpms and gear do you launch at
I launch around 2 grand, chicken wing the throttle open, and modulate the clutch. I try to always launch it in 1st gear - it's a big help for getting down the track faster:D:D:D

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Great run for sure. You'll get faster with more runs under your belt. Do a small burn-out and raise your launch RPM. I launch at around 6500-8000 RPM's.

·
Ferocity Velocity
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great run for sure. You'll get faster with more runs under your belt. Do a small burn-out and raise your launch RPM. I launch at around 6500-8000 RPM's.
I am already faster, thanks - my drag bike is a ZX-14. I only wanted to get an idea of what the HD could do. And launching with higher revs is one way to do it - as you do. I simply use more clutch control rather than throttle control on take off - just personal preference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts