Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, yes I'm new here and am currently looking at a 2011 DX.
My post on this is here: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2069426#post2069426

Anyways, "IF" HD decides to axe the vrod in 2012, how hard will it be to find parts for the bike, say in 8-10 years? Will it be like any other HD where you can find replacement parts easily on a 10+ year air cooled HD; or will it be tough to find parts for the vrod? I have read on here that the MoCo does not offer much support on the vrod and this is making me second quess on getting the night rod at my dealer.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
I know of a parts warehouse in Saskatchewan......:cupcake:hidesbeh:

Some parts are hard enough to come by now, with backorders and all. Don't count on HD for parts, but aftermarket sources instead. That or used parts.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
There will be someone like that Elvis dude who keeps the FXR flame glowing or the guy in Simi Valley California with his XLCR parts and restoration business who will love on the V-Rod, find treasure wherever it is to be found, and sell these to those of us who want to keep the V-Rod flame burning.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
5 posts and already into V-Rod the fairy tales!!! :DMaybe we should start an "End-O-The V-Rod" pool.

You can still buy parts for Harley's "axed" in the 40's!

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Hey guys, yes I'm new here and am currently looking at a 2011 DX.
My post on this is here: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2069426#post2069426

Anyways, "IF" HD decides to axe the vrod in 2012, how hard will it be to find parts for the bike, say in 8-10 years? Will it be like any other HD where you can find replacement parts easily on a 10+ year air cooled HD; or will it be tough to find parts for the vrod? I have read on here that the MoCo does not offer much support on the vrod and this is making me second quess on getting the night rod at my dealer.
Its been in production for 9 years so used parts are everywhere.The bikes are totally reliable so the only problems when production ceases will be crash repairs and you'd be amazed at what can be made good with a little effort.Stop worrying and buy it - once you have you'll be bolting on lots of doo-dahs so save the take off parts and you'll have your own little parts dept :)

Steve

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Geez if you're worrying about spare parts then I don't want to be around when you bring up the resale value question. It's a toy, expect to buy it and throw it away some day. If you view it as any kind of investment at all you'll be slitting your wrist over it in several years.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The government has a rule that manufacturers like Harley has to follow.
Parts have to be made available for 10 years after the production year.This parts availability for 10 years rule has to be in order before the vehicle is sold.
Now,the part might not be readily available,but it will be there,eventually,or they could get a severe pee pee whacking!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geez if you're worrying about spare parts then I don't want to be around when you bring up the resale value question. It's a toy, expect to buy it and throw it away some day. If you view it as any kind of investment at all you'll be slitting your wrist over it in several years.
I could careless about the resale value. I don't buy my bikes to sell....

Only reason I am asking, is that when I am on www.hdforums.com & I see where somebody asks "what makes a HD better than a metric"; somebody always brings up that it's easy to find replacement parts for a HD.

If I decide to buy this bike, I will keep it for atleast 10 years and I want to be able to find a new oem part if I can't find a new aftermarket part for that particular piece.

This will be my first HD as I have owned nothing but metric bikes. I was involved in a bad accident on Christmas Eve due to an inattentive 18 year old making a left hand turn infront of me. Needless to say my raider is totalled.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I can still get parts for my triumph from 1976 within a few days, and that Triumph company went belly up in 1977. So don't worry about it!

Its a sweet machine and one of the better sellers overseas.

·
Flat Broke
283 Posts
LOL agreed. I bought mine new last year then they release the 11 for 3K less than I paid for mine. Was I pissed? Sure. Do I really care right now? Hell no. It's still the best HD makes and a blast to ride.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, I will probably end up getting it.

I just need some help getting the monthly payments down. My Raider's payments were 240 a month & I need the same for the night rod. Right now the dealer has the payments at 268.00. I'm on a tight budget right now. Most of my money was spent on a new heating/cooling system in my house & paying for my wife's school.

Any tips on negotiating 268 to 240?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Get a price from another dealer! Update the insulation in the house will free up some money. Don't spend all your money each month, leave some for emergences.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
If you want to save more money, stay off from this forum after you get the DX!

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Harley is unquie in term of its followers. We guide the aftermarket course and drive the avalibity of factory parts . Many bikes have gone byby and parts and suppliers have dried up. Metric is a good example, some bikes you can no loger find parts for. Take the early to mid 80's "sportbike" like the Turbo built bikes like the Kawasaki Eliminator. A nitch market and you pay for it short runs with limited builds.
Harley may build "limited" number of a paint CVO bikes but down deep its the same stuff. Vambo is right on 40 year old bikes you still can get parts for them. Heck aftermarket allows you to build an entire Panhead without ever going to a dealer.

We have 36,000 members here on the forum. I dont know if that means 36,000 bikes but still a huge amount of stuff. The parts hard to get in 10 years after production stops, maybe. Still not a concern. Many members have 100K miles on a factory sealed motor. Some stuff like Lux's anodized aluminum may become priced like gold, but its not going to keep a bike off the road. Worring about parts in the future is not an issue.

Now gas to run it on would be more of a concern.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Only reason I am asking, is that when I am on www.hdforums.com & I see where somebody asks "what makes a HD better than a metric"; somebody always brings up that it's easy to find replacement parts for a HD.
don't get too confused, HDs are mostly metric now anyway. HD is just a quasi USA made metric bike. The only bike moco I've had issues securing OE parts was my dad's Indian. Whomever is telling you that parts for the Jap bikes or Euro bikes are hard to come by are speaking out their ass.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
well, do like me,
when i see something on ebay, a starter relay, voltage regulator, etc.. i buy it.
i almost have enough parts to make a second bike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Larger down payment.
As I stated, I can't put $$$ down unless the insurance company cuts me a nice fat settlement check from my crash.

I had to replace my heating/cooling system, wife's college, and I already put 2K down on the raider 8 months ago. I have not extra cash right now.

Just looking at tricks or stratagies on getting the lower payment.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
don't get too confused, HDs are mostly metric now anyway. HD is just a quasi USA made metric bike. The only bike moco I've had issues securing OE parts was my dad's Indian. Whomever is telling you that parts for the Jap bikes or Euro bikes are hard to come by are speaking out their ass.
I think that the ass speakers are the ones who open the J&P Metric book and see a very limited amount of parts compared to the HD J&P book or The Big Book from Drag Specilties. Looking at the Metric book quite a few parts are universal and are in both the metric and HD book. Footpegs, handgrips,lighting, ect. Some of the stuff looks like it was made 1978 and still no one wants it. Its true if you know where to go you can find it. Some people are still hoarding parts for the flathead V8. I dont know of anyone who is hoarding parts for an 80's Virago but I am sure he (singular) is out there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts