Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of riding my R and seeing nothing but my elbows in my mirrors I finally solved my mirror issue. I tried the Arlen Ness mini-ovals under the bars, but they had no field of view. They also took my eyes off the road ahead for too long. I look at other bikes with the HD mirror extenders (pn 91907-87) but to be honest I thought they looked stupid sticking up so far above the bar. However, I did break down today and purchased a set while I was out riding. I came home and put them on the bike and sure enough they looked stupid. Not to let $30 go to waste, I set off modifying them.

Actually I modified the mirror itself not the extender. I started off re-threading the entire length of the mirror shaft that extends thru the break lever mount. This required using a 5/16" X 24 tpi die. I then figured that the mirror extender threads extend to a depth of 0.75" inside the stud. I then cut off the mirror threads to a length of 0.75" and screwed on the extender. I put the mirrors with the extenders on the bike and volia. No more elbows. Doing this moves the the mirrors up a 1-7/16" from stock. Enough to clear my elbows and not make the stock mirrors look stupid.

Attached are some pics for reference.

Attachments

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Nice job! Thank you for posting.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Looks really great!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Now you tell me! I gotts figure out how to unscrew the stud to remove the spacer without scratching it! I got the tap & die kit to do this, like the look. Your right the extension kit with the spacer looks unattractive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just stuck a pair of Stock 2004 Sportster Custom Mirrors on my VRSCR. BIG IMPROVEMENT! I can now see. I would highly recommend if you can get a pair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts