Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post a few pics of my new 240 setup on my '03A. I actually bought the wheels from "patm" on here a few years back and just got around to tearing into it this past month.

I will say, I have very little mechanical skills, but was able to do the whole thing by myself with just the help of this forum as a guide.

I still need to smooth out my cuts on my belt guard and a few other minor details (might go with shorter shocks, side mount plate, integrated tailight), but for now, it's "done."

A few questions to those who have went this route, is your belt/tire clearance on the leading end of the tire EXTREMELY close? I went with a widened kosman's 8.5" rim and metzler 240 tire. The belt comes within a few milimeters of the tire.

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
not much looks better than a 240 under a 180 rear fender. :thumb: well done.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The 240 mounted on an 8 1/2 wide wheel crammed into an anodized V-Rod is the cats ass.
I did my own one off install and used the stock guards.I'd have to see a pic of what you are talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys.

Elrod, it looks like you made the stock "wide" pulley work with the 8.5" rim. How did you accomplish that one? Mine was a tight fit with the narrow pulley. I'd love to use my wide one, since it's chromed and the narrow one isn't...yet.

I don't have any good pics right now of the left side. I'd work on getting a few to show what I mean.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Thanks, guys.

Elrod, it looks like you made the stock "wide" pulley work with the 8.5" rim. How did you accomplish that one? Mine was a tight fit with the narrow pulley. I'd love to use my wide one, since it's chromed and the narrow one isn't...yet.

I don't have any good pics right now of the left side. I'd work on getting a few to show what I mean.
yea,I used the wide pulleys on a few or them.They fit and nicely.It takes some grinding and lots of thinking.The 8 inch is easier because the front pulley doesn't have to be moved.I spaced the drive flange from the output bearing and machined the output bearing retainer to move the seal out on mine.
I'm fixin to cram a 280 onto a slotted widened wheel from Kosman.10 inches ought to make the 280 look real nice crammed under the wide fender on my X.
I'll use the same procedure I used on the 03 I own.
I'll bet I can still turn an 1150 et through the quarter.:deal:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spaced the drive flange from the output bearing and machined the output bearing retainer to move the seal out on mine.
Sounds like more than I am capable of, and to be honest, I wouldn't consider asking my local HD shops to attempt any of this. I'd rather wing it myself as I have done so far.

The pics of the bikes you've done are gorgeous. I've been wanting to do this for years now, and finally got it done. I'm quite pleased.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
My wife and brother thought I was crazy when I ripped the ass end of my almost new bike apart and started hacking and grinding on it.i had my own doubts too.In fact I kept thinking,hell,I havn't ruined to many parts that I couldn't replace cheap and put it back together.i was scared to death when I road tested it.I did the first test at 1 in the morning without a helmet on so I could listen.I went passed a batch of crickets and shut the bike down thinking something on the bike was making noise.
I impressed myself and my wife with the 240 install on my bike.It has been a good advertiser.To bad the economy tanked when it did.I think I could have made some decent money,while giving good work at a fair price.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAHA, that post is hilarious, considering what I went through the last few weekends. I did the work at my buddies garage. He came in one day and I have the grinder out, the back wheel off, the fender struts laying on the floor, and he said, "Scotty, what the hell were you thinking!?!?! That thing will never run again!"

He was only half-kidding at the time. But it is a big sense of accomplishment, BUT I have only ridden a few miles so far, as you said, I am a bit scared so far, and the rides I have taken are with one ear to the ground listening for "noises". So far the belt was a little too tight, causing some noise, but an adjustment seemed to solve that.

Funny that you were able to nail exactly what I'm going through. Makes me feel a little better about it!

·
Registered
264 Posts
yea,I used the wide pulleys on a few or them.They fit and nicely.It takes some grinding and lots of thinking.The 8 inch is easier because the front pulley doesn't have to be moved.I spaced the drive flange from the output bearing and machined the output bearing retainer to move the seal out on mine.
I'm fixin to cram a 280 onto a slotted widened wheel from Kosman.10 inches ought to make the 280 look real nice crammed under the wide fender on my X.
I'll use the same procedure I used on the 03 I own.
I'll bet I can still turn an 1150 et through the quarter.:deal:
Can you give detailed instructions on how you managed to use the wide pulley with the 240 wheel? I'm doing a 240 swap with an AW wheel and would love to be able to use the wide pulley

·
Registered
284 Posts
i have got the wide pulley and a narrow belt, on a koosman wheel, 8.5 on a 240 tire, the thing looks nasty. i won a steak bet with my buddy when he said it would not fit. oyeah, the tolerance is ever so close. like say maybe a cats whisker. but there is still clearance. also i dumped the bottom belt guard, and modded the top. i will have to post pictures, but i am not good at that.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
i have got the wide pulley and a narrow belt, on a koosman wheel, 8.5 on a 240 tire, the thing looks nasty. i won a steak bet with my buddy when he said it would not fit. oyeah, the tolerance is ever so close. like say maybe a cats whisker. but there is still clearance. also i dumped the bottom belt guard, and modded the top. i will have to post pictures, but i am not good at that.
email the pics to me at [email protected] and I'll post them for you.

The clearance at the wide pulley to swingarm is 2 mm's.It's close,but like you say,it does not touch and because it is a solid mount,it never will.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FastV or Elrod, running the wide pulley and narrow belt, any problems with belt travel or "walking" because of the the extra width of the pulley? If the belt were to travel, would it not hit the tire at the leading edge toward the engine?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Threadjack: The bike looks great. It makes the idea of doing the same to mine even more tempting. Question: Did you have your stock front rim cut and if you did does it help on windy days and where did you have it done? When my front tire wears out I would like to have slots cut in it. Thank you in advance. -Kevin

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Kevin. I bought the wheels just as you see them from another forum member, patm. I know he had the rear wheel widened by Kosman's, the front I think was from a new bike that already had slotted wheels.

As for the crosswinds, I haven't ridden it enough with the new wheels to tell yet. Can't be any worse though!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Threadjack: The bike looks great. It makes the idea of doing the same to mine even more tempting. Question: Did you have your stock front rim cut and if you did does it help on windy days and where did you have it done? When my front tire wears out I would like to have slots cut in it. Thank you in advance. -Kevin
The slots will make a difference.Gorby cuts the wheels.
You should also remove the steering head bearings for an inspection and pack them with water proof grease.The factory was stingy with the grease.Then set the fallaway properly.
The shape of the front wheel you have has some bearing in what you don't like about the windy days.I run Weld Smoothies on my 03 and there is a big difference in handling compared to the factory solids.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Elrod, any thoughts on my previous question about the narrow belt in the wide pulley? Will it travel with the extra width of the pulley?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice conversion from 180 to 240 I am doing this to mine this fall I have the reactor wheel does anyone know if I can keep my wide pully as apposed to the narrow pully reactor since I have both of them and our the chrome compensating bowls the same.What if I put the VRSCSE swingarm as well would that help all the clearance issues and must i go with 28t pully or can I stick with the 30t .My bike is 05 VRSCA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts