Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say there are two kinds of Bikers, the ones who have wrecked and the ones who are gonna wreck. Well, I am now in the "wrecked" category.

A 15 year old girl on a learner's permit without a licensed driver in the car with her AND no insurance decided to pull into my lane with me in it. I had to lay the bike down to not get hit since I had no where to go. We were only going about 20-30MPH but I suffered some good road rash on my left arm and my hip is killing me from landing on it and tumbling. There is not a mark on my helmet so I did not hit my head. I was wearing a short sleeve tee-shirt and I'm positive I wouldn't have any road rash if I was wearing my leather jacket. Stupid.

As for damage to the bike...I was shocked and surprised how little damage there was from skidding along the pavement on its left side for about 50 feet or so. only the pegs, shifter lever, left grip and clutch pull are scrapped to hell. NOTHING else. Wow...lucky in so many regards. I thought when I went down I was roadkill as I was sure the cars behind me would turn me into a speed bump. But, I popped up, gestured to the girl as she drove away (she later stopped down the road at a gas station and the Bike Cop who saw the whole thing paid her a visit after he made sure I was OK), picked up my bike (Adrenaline!), and walked it into a gas station. The girl received something like 4 different citations.

All in all, I am VERY lucky. the bike will be fixed...I will heal.

I'm sure others will concur with this: ROAD RASH SUCKS!!!!!! When I got home, I got in the shower and scrubbed and scrubbed at my missing flesh to get all the debris out. I nearly passed out from the pain. I've had two sleepless nights as my arm has felt like it is on fire. But, again, I'm lucky.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
Holy Cow!!! That sounds scary!! SOOO glad to hear that things weren't any worse! And I don't have much to say to that idiot girl......argh....

·
Two Wheels Or A Prop
163 Posts
Wow, dude, that sucks on so many levels and could have so easily been avoided. Glad to hear you were not turned into a speedbump and she got what was coming to her - hopefully she will START SEEING MOTORCYCLES now!

Good luck with the road rash... don't pick or it will scar, oh, wait chicks dig scars! What a circle. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I'm glad you're okay. Regarding the damage... Go over the area around where the pegs mount with a fine tooth comb. That section of the frame is a "fuse" designed to take the brunt of a lay-down. Be doubly certain that the frame, peg mounts, and controls are intact and not the least bit bent before signing off.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
CJKCyclone said:
They say there are two kinds of Bikers, the ones who have wrecked and the ones who are gonna wreck. Well, I am now in the "wrecked" category.

A 15 year old girl on a learner's permit without a licensed driver in the car with her AND no insurance decided to pull into my lane with me in it. I had to lay the bike down to not get hit since I had no where to go. We were only going about 20-30MPH but I suffered some good road rash on my left arm and my hip is killing me from landing on it and tumbling. There is not a mark on my helmet so I did not hit my head. I was wearing a short sleeve tee-shirt and I'm positive I wouldn't have any road rash if I was wearing my leather jacket. Stupid.

As for damage to the bike...I was shocked and surprised how little damage there was from skidding along the pavement on its left side for about 50 feet or so. only the pegs, shifter lever, left grip and clutch pull are scrapped to hell. NOTHING else. Wow...lucky in so many regards. I thought when I went down I was roadkill as I was sure the cars behind me would turn me into a speed bump. But, I popped up, gestured to the girl as she drove away (she later stopped down the road at a gas station and the Bike Cop who saw the whole thing paid her a visit after he made sure I was OK), picked up my bike (Adrenaline!), and walked it into a gas station. The girl received something like 4 different citations.

I'm sure others will concur with this: ROAD RASH SUCKS!!!!!! When I got home, I got in the shower and scrubbed and scrubbed at my missing flesh to get all the debris out. I nearly passed out from the pain. I've had two sleepless nights as my arm has felt like it is on fire. But, again, I'm lucky.
Glad you're ok and all. Yeah, I got a 16 year old we've put the 30 daytime
hours in and 10 nighttime hours; insured but I won't turn the keys over until I feel she's ready. I'm on her all the time about turning her head. She's cautious
but I'm still on her about EVERYTHING. Not to jack the thread, I had to run
split lanes recently when a van moved into my lane and the left lane was taken. Like WTH was that about...... Get better and fix her up when the money allows.

·
A Beautiful Country
181 Posts
Glad you're OK. Hope they throw the book at the girl. If it hurts, maybe she will always remember this, and there will be one less idiot in a cage.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Aldankirk said:
Glad you're OK. Hope they throw the book at the girl. If it hurts, maybe she will always remember this, and there will be one less idiot in a cage.

Im also very glad that you are OK and able to post on here.
As for throwing the book at the 15 yo, yea she should get in some trouble, but I think her parents should also be at fault for allowing her to have the car. Even if they didnt allow her to have the car, they shouldnt have made it accessible to her unless they were around.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
CJKCyclone said:

I had an accident in May. I road rashed my right knee and broke my little finger. You should really have gone to the emergency room or an urgent care center to get looked at. They would probably have given you a tetanus booster and a prescription for some antibiotics. You could get a nasty infection. Sorry to hear that you went down, glad to hear that you are all right. Hopefully this will teach the girl a lesson or two but I somehow doubt it!

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
A cager forced me into the left lane (of 3) on the ride to KCIR last week. He saw the 5 bikes in front of me, but I guess he lost count. Fortunately there was no one in the left lane.

·
SMOKE A FATTY!!!!!!!
260 Posts
fall down and get right back up and go again! glad your ok. ive had many falls, the worst was i flipped over backwards doing 80mph (racing) and i have learned my lesson about jackets and gloves.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
CJKCyclone said:
Sorry to hear that.

I wonder if Im paid up in the crash department from all the times I went down racing MX?

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt. And, yeah, road rash sucks.

·
George
5,411 Posts
LiquidSilver said:
I'm glad you're okay. Regarding the damage... Go over the area around where the pegs mount with a fine tooth comb. That section of the frame is a "fuse" designed to take the brunt of a lay-down. Be doubly certain that the frame, peg mounts, and controls are intact and not the least bit bent before signing off.
+1:them: :broke: $250 now

·
The Orange Guy
5,526 Posts
I'm sure glad it wasn't any worse.
Go to the hospital to get it looked at and they have something for pain.
The girl or her parents should foot the bill.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
CUPCAKE said:
Holy Cow!!! That sounds scary!! SOOO glad to hear that things weren't any worse! And I don't have much to say to that idiot girl......argh....
:them:

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
15.....public safety my ass....more stupid american laws :chair: glad your ok man...no one 15 should be behind the wheel....21 minimum....change the stupid laws

1 - 20 of 37 Posts