Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
My left side one was just about to shear last week. I noticed some play in it and caught it in time. Went to my local hardware store and got a new set of bolts. M6 x 1.0 x 16 socket bolts. Ordered a 10 pack off of eBay and I think as preventative I will replace them at the end of each season when I winterize.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I wouldn't replace it with the same grade of bolt. Metrics come in
4.6, 4.8, 5.8, 8.8, 9.8, 10.9 and 12.9 hardness. 8.8 is likely what it is , which is standard grade most of the time. It's stamped on the head. 10.9 would be a better choice, which incidently is the bolt grade on the later model shock bolts. SAE grade 8 basically. These might have been upgraded in later models too since not a lot of bitching about bent shock bolts lately.
Ron

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wouldn't replace it with the same grade of bolt. Metrics come in
4.6, 4.8, 5.8, 8.8, 9.8, 10.9 and 12.9 hardness. 8.8 is likely what it is , which is standard grade most of the time. It's stamped on the head. 10.9 would be a better choice, which incidently is the bolt grade on the later model shock bolts. SAE grade 8 basically. These might have been upgraded in later models too since not a lot of bitching about bent shock bolts lately.
Ron
Fastenal has these in grade 12.9 zinc coated. They also have chrome but those are a lot more than the zinc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it's an 11.

I replaced it with whatever the hardware store had to make it mobile again. I'll order something better for both sides tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.