Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
How do you like them so far? Have you riden two-up with them adjusted yet? Like the look of the piggyback race shock much better!

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do like them and am glad I bought them. The new shocks frees up a lot of swing arm travel that the stock shocks would not allow. At my body weight, the stock shocks bottom out before you use all the travel. I have given my daughter a ride but she only weights 100 lbs. Even she can tell the difference. I weight 250 lbs. So I use a heaver spring on the shock. I had to wait while Bitubo set up the shocks in Italy for my weight and bike. They came pre adjusted.
The static sag was in tolerance from Bitubo and I have not been able to find better compression or rebound settings for the shocks than how they came from Bitubo. They have given me great confidence while riding. No more bottoming. My back is not being pounded by the bottoming. I can now go faster, again no bottoming and the ass end feels firmly planted underneath me. I have a twisty country road that I like to road race down. I now go so much faster I can’t believe it. And that’s with my worn out Dunlaps. Wait till I put on my new Metzelers.

Bicep

·
Registered
164 Posts
thats great. how would you rate the purchase from the company? since its in ITALY. how long did it take and how was the shipping. are they easy to adjust if you wanted to change the settings for a heavier or lighter rider

·
Ride hard be safe!
953 Posts
not to be an ass but you should flip them around the resivor should be mounted on the frame side to reduce the unsprung weight. then the suspension will react faster. awesome set of shocks though!!

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the same thing. The lables on the shocks are right side up. Dan at Traxxion Dynamics said you can mount them ether way. I choose to mount them like stock shocks. The body of the shock down and the rod at the top with the lable right side up.
This way I have no clearance issues with the reservoir and the tail of the bike. Ether way they are a vast improvment over stock because of my weight. The stock shocks are not ment for a guy like me.

I went through Traxxion Dynamics. They ordered them from Bitubo for me using my weight the bikes weigth and my riding style. Agressive street and canyon carving.
It took longer than I wanted but thats what it took to get the right set up on the shock. Bitubo is not very fast in their turn around of orders. About 5 or 6 weeks. Then when the shocks got to Traxxion Dynamics from Italy they shipped them to me and that took 7 more days. From Woodstock, Georgia to San Jose, Califorina

As far as adjusting between heaveir and lighter riders. You must first have the right spring put on the shock. This is why Bitubo needed to make my set of shocks. With my gear on I weight 270 lbs. Traxxion Dynamics did not have a stiff enough spring. So it went to the order process. If you got the right springs for each rider, it would not be that hard to change springs. If they where close enough in weight you might not have to change springs. After that you set static sag. Bitubo says 15 mm + or - 5 mm
Mine came adjusted. What spring rate I have, I don't know. The wire dia. is .385. They pre loaded the spring to make it 8.5 inches long in the shock. Rebound was set at 4 clicks from full soft and compression was set at full soft. My static sag was 10 mm.

I rode today as the weather was fantastic. I took my daughter up Mt Hamilton rd. To the Lick Observatory. Then I went on another ride with me friends from San Jose to Gilroy on the back roads by a series of lakes. They work great.

Bicep

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bump. Looks like a upgrade from the air ride choices.

·
Canadian bacon
204 Posts
Wow man, those look great! Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but there is a lot of great info here. Since it has been almost a year since you've had them, Bicep, what are your thoughts on the product now? Still happy with your purchase? I am also 270 with my gear on, and I too have the problem of constantly bottoming out with the stock shocks. I also frequently ride with my wife on the back, and she also complains about the bumps, luckily she is also just under 100lbs (like your daughter), so hopefully she too would realize a significant difference if I made the swap. I was thinking about going with air-ride, but after reading this, it looks like it may be a better option.

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow man, those look great! Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but there is a lot of great info here. Since it has been almost a year since you've had them, Bicep, what are your thoughts on the product now? Still happy with your purchase? I am also 270 with my gear on, and I too have the problem of constantly bottoming out with the stock shocks. I also frequently ride with my wife on the back, and she also complains about the bumps, luckily she is also just under 100lbs (like your daughter), so hopefully she too would realize a significant difference if I made the swap. I was thinking about going with air-ride, but after reading this, it looks like it may be a better option.
I am still loving them. I am at work, tell you more more later.

Bicep

1 - 15 of 15 Posts