Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference beteen a Mobil 1 synthetic auto oil I can buy for $4.50 per qt and Mobil 1 motocycle synthetic for $8.00 per qt.? Mobil sells the MC oil in a 20/50 for Harleys or a 10/40 for higher revving engines. Which one of the three?

What is a good oil filter I can purchase outside of the dealership? Do the filters from another traditional Harley engines fit? Anyone have refernece numbers? I'm trying to keep my maintennece costs down and appreciate learning from your experience. TY

PS I did do a search before this thread.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Just buy the red cap Mobil 1 at Wal Mart, that is what I use. This is the 15-50 full syn automotive oil @ 4. something a quart. Seen analysis of it and the Mobil 1 v twin oil, not real difference other than almost twice the price. As for a filter, I stick with the HD one from stealership at about $8.80. Your saving on the oil and doing it yourself, stick with the proper filter. In fact my local Wally World has the red cap in a 5 qt jug every now and then, its less than $4 a quart, buy several of them.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Make sure that, whatever oil you choose, that you stick with the viscosity ratings recommended by the factory. In normal operation (i.e. above 40 F) this is 20W-50. I really can't see any reason to deviate from this. I'd also stick with the factory recommendations for oil change interval - but you should consider that most of what we call "normal" riding probably falls into the factory definition of "severe" - i.e. short trip duration, stop-and-go conditions, etc.

Lastly, provided that the oil you put in meets the necessary API and viscosity ratings, you do not have to put any specific brand of motor oil in your bike to keep up your warranty. If you are concerned about cost, I see that Castrol ACT-evo synthetic is selling for $3.99 a quart with a $1 rebate off that. Even with the H-D filter, you should be able to do an oil change for under $24. This is not much more than the cost of one of those "oil analysis" tests you'll see so many folks chatting about.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The only aftermarket filter I know of that fits V-Rod is by Amsoil: http://www.amsoil.com. I use their oil exclusively.

Oil filter part # SMF 136
Oil part # AMV-QT (20W50 V-Twin oil, high-performance synthetic).

They also sell oil testing kits. All in all great products and service. You can save some by becoming a preferred customer or buying from one.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
What a timely thread. I was just out this afternoon trying to figure out if I wanted to go with the 10/40 Mobil1 syth for automobiles -- half the cost after all. I just went up the Mobile1 website and thought I'd read up on it a little. Anyway here is a note of interest on the site:

"I’ve used automotive engine oils, such as Mobil 1
15W-50, in my motorcycle transmission and
engine. Why should I switch to Mobil 1 with
SuperSyn V-Twin 20W-50?

Although both formulations are based on the
same race-proven technology, compared to
Mobil 1 for automobiles, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn
V-Twin 20W-50:
 Is specifically designed for air-cooled engines
and their primaries and transmissions, while
Mobil 1 15W-50 is formulated for water-cooled
passenger vehicles.
 Contains 25 percent more anti-wear and antioxidant
additives to meet the greater demands of
air-cooled engines and their higher operating
temperatures.
 Is completely shear stable – it will remain a high
50-weight oil in service without viscosity loss.
Mobil 1 15W-50, on the other hand, will exhibit
some shear loss in motorcycle applications."

I respect everyone's opinions here and I'm sure the V-Rod is rugged enough for the 10/40, but I do believe I will stick with the V-Twin 20/50.

Here's a link for additional tourista info -- http://www.mobil1.com/motorcycle/index.jsp

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
hmmm.... what about water cooled v-twins? ;)

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts