Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few threads, but my buddy picked up my new bike for me today while I was at work, and he filled the tank also, said he could only get it 3/4s cause it only has a side stand. Well I went through that 3/4s in about 2 hours, before dark. So is there a trick to filling the tank all the way up. It seems like a 2 person process, one person has to hold the bike up while the other fuels. Any advice?

·
Brokool
8 Posts
Replace your original tank with one from Rick's Motorcycles in Germany.
Then fill from the right side. Found that my low fuel indicator light comes on with almost 2 gals to spare with the new tank.

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Um, try to pump slower... Top it off... Have you had your bike since 2002? I can't believe I am the first to comment on this... Oops, I'm second.

·
Brokool
8 Posts
I have an "03 and had to replace the sending unit shortly after getting mine. It would be all over the place tho no matter how much gas i had. Riding any distance with the stock tank is a real drag. It's amazing how easy it is getting used to this almost 5 gal tank. Low fuel light doesn't come on until about 120 miles and then u have almost 2 gal reserve.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Dont top off your tank with the bike upright!!

HD put the vent/overflow on the low side for a reason. That tank is black plastic. When the sun hits it, the contents will expand. IF you have topped off to the top standing upright then your extra fuel will be on the ground! What is the point?

Even if you dont let the bike sit in the sun, standing the bike up and topping off then leaning the bike back on the stand to go pay...the fuel will be on the ground. What is the point?

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Hoiw would filling from the right side make a difference?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
Dont top off your tank with the bike upright!!

HD put the vent/overflow on the low side for a reason. That tank is black plastic. When the sun hits it, the contents will expand. IF you have topped off to the top standing upright then your extra fuel will be on the ground! What is the point?

Even if you dont let the bike sit in the sun, standing the bike up and topping off then leaning the bike back on the stand to go pay...the fuel will be on the ground. What is the point?
You are correct! Check this thread on the topic at hand:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71257

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
ALang800 said:
I saw a few threads, but my buddy picked up my new bike for me today while I was at work, and he filled the tank also, said he could only get it 3/4s cause it only has a side stand. Well I went through that 3/4s in about 2 hours, before dark. So is there a trick to filling the tank all the way up. It seems like a 2 person process, one person has to hold the bike up while the other fuels. Any advice?
Early V-Rods have a problem with the sending unit for the gas guage. Many threads on this. Point is it does not work real good. There are cleaning procedures to help but there is no cure for what ails it.
Just fill the tank as full as practical and use your Trip odometer to monitor how many miles you run. With the original tank start looking for a gas station at about 100 miles. Get panicky at 125.

·
George
5,411 Posts
RustyG said:
Early V-Rods have a problem with the sending unit for the gas guage. Many threads on this. Point is it does not work real good. There are cleaning procedures to help but there is no cure for what ails it.
Just fill the tank as full as practical and use your Trip odometer to monitor how many miles you run. With the original tank start looking for a gas station at about 100 miles. Get panicky at 125.
Didn't you mean "PUSH" at 125?

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
capngeo said:
No, I've been up to 139 miles on the original tank.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
capngeo said:
I got 130 but it was all highway on a trip to kentucky, around town riding I get worried at 110-115

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
I fill mine with it on the stand, and never had any issues. By the way, at 110miles I am just under a half a tank!!! Gotta love the 5 gal tank on the R!!!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
all you have to do is when the pump stops pull out a bit so you can see the level, pull back on the part of the pump head that creates the seal and pump slowly until you're near the top.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
RustyG said:
No, I've been up to 139 miles on the original tank.
Actually now that I have a UE tank installed the '03 can go for 225 miles before gasping for gas.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
MegaZ said:
Hoiw would filling from the right side make a difference?
Just easier I guess.. I always use the right side because the seat isn't in my way.. I leave it on the stand and then after the pump kicks off, I pull the filler out a ways and slowly fill up until right at the brim.. Cap it off and I'm good without any leakage..

I get at least another 1/4 and sometimes almost a 1/2 a gallon extra in there after it kicks off and I know it is full. Every pump will kick off at slightly different levels, so this is the best way to know you are full.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts