Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first trip to the gas station with my V-rod was this morning. Splashed gas all over. I hear that is a common issue with these tanks. I tried to go slow, but gas pumps are so powerful and I couldn't see into the tank while the nozzle was in it, so I had no idea how full it was getting over how fast the gas was pumping.

Any advice on how to avoid giving the bike a gas bath while filling up?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
My first trip to the gas station with my V-rod was this morning. Splashed gas all over. I hear that is a common issue with these tanks. I tried to go slow, but gas pumps are so powerful and I couldn't see into the tank while the nozzle was in it, so I had no idea how full it was getting over how fast the gas was pumping.

Feather the clutch... I mean feather the pump

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wait people's gas gauges actually work? My gas gauge is pretty much never right I think, except for maybe when I first fill it up.

As for not splashing gas all over I've recently bought my own Vrod and honestly it's just practice.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Youll be able to hear the fill level after filling up enough tanks of fuel! and then lighten up on the pump until its full. If your gas gauge DOESNT work there is a few things that you could do to make them work. I have done the concentrated fuel injector cleaner method and mine works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My gas gauge works it just never seems to be right. As in will say I have way less gas than I actually do. Or will tell me I have plenty of full and then all of a sudden drop to rlo without ever warning me. First bike I've had with a gas gauge so honestly I ride off of miles but it would be nice to have a gauge I could trust. And sorry to thread jack...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ya I go by my trip also im out of fuel at 167kms! but atleast it doesnt drop from full to empty on me anymore ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts

I use this ALL the time.. works like a charm.. }:)

http://www.harley-davidson.com/dwp/...erid=59102&bmUID=1284193905214&bmLocale=en_US

gas.jpg

Just un-zip the pouch, slip it over the gas nozzle, and pump away...

Makes it easy. }:)

-Gumbysbuff

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Why the heck didn't Harley make the mouth of the tank wider?!?

:mad: :bash:

:wazzup:

Are you kidding me? This has to be the easiest "fill" ever - period!!! You'd be in real fockin' trouble with a top tank. No automatic shut-off where you live? This thread is hilarious.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Going to be boring here and state never had a problem.

My way is remove the cap insert the nozzle, push in about 2", pump till it shuts off while keeping an eye on the meter. I have an idea how much to expect to be pumping. Early tank about 2.5-3 gallons, bigger tank 3.5-4.5 gallons.

When it clicks off lift the nozzle and check where the gas is. Gently top up to within 1/2" or more. Lift out the nozzle and look at the gas level often when topping up.

Never round off the pump $$ it won't fit!

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
never spilled a drop

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Ummmm. Just run till the auto shut off kicks it off then pull the the nozzle up where you can see it (and hold the sleeve up if it's an emission style pump) and then just pull the handle up a little bit so it flows slowly.

I'm kind of agreeing with Vambo here on this one.

It's a bike, not a Chrysler van, there's going to be a lot more involved with every aspect of operating it. Same applies to your wind post. Yes the wind is going to push you around on it. Yes it will dump gasoline all over the place if you let. Just don't let it. None of this stuff is a "design flaw".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ummmm. Just run till the auto shut off kicks it off then pull the the nozzle up where you can see it (and hold the sleeve up if it's an emission style pump) and then just pull the handle up a little bit so it flows slowly.

I'm kind of agreeing with Vambo here on this one.

It's a bike, not a Chrysler van, there's going to be a lot more involved with every aspect of operating it. Same applies to your wind post. Yes the wind is going to push you around on it. Yes it will dump gasoline all over the place if you let. Just don't let it. None of this stuff is a "design flaw".
Ummmm, the reason I asked the question, was that a V-rod owner told me NOT to use the pump's auto shut off because he said that would cause it to overflow anyway. So, yeah I guess I am a dumbass for asking an honest question, hoping some people would give me some information from their experiences. I did get some good answers, but like my other posts there appear people with thousands of posts, to tell me what a moron I am because I don't know the answer already.

I am an experienced rider with almost twenty years in the saddle, but absolutely no time on a V-rod (or any similar bike) until this week. I was under the impression that this forum was for the sharing of information from fellow V-rodders. Being a V-rod newbie, there is much to learn about this bike. Guys, I got the bike two days ago, I am still learning about it.

If I wanted a lecture, I would have called my Mom and Dad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:wazzup:

Are you kidding me? This has to be the easiest "fill" ever - period!!! You'd be in real fockin' trouble with a top tank. No automatic shut-off where you live? This thread is hilarious.
Been filling bike tanks for years. This one is different. I believe I was given bad initial advice from an experienced V-rod owner.

Take your sarcastic remarks and shove them where the sun don't shine, pal. I am simply trying to learn about my bike. Is this a place where douchebag comments come with advice? I would prefer just the advice, or don't post in my thread.

·
Black Beauty
492 Posts
Been filling bike tanks for years. This one is different. I believe I was given bad initial advice from an experienced V-rod owner.

Take your sarcastic remarks and shove them where the sun don't shine, pal. I am simply trying to learn about my bike. Is this a place where douchebag comments come with advice? I would prefer just the advice, or don't post in my thread.
Is your experienced V-rod owner friend a member here? If so, perhaps we can poke fun at him?:hidesbeh:

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Only dumb question is the one that's never asked.

You want to know something, please ask even if its been answered before!

·
The Big Bad Wolf
301 Posts
Gotta tell ya, guys. My gas gauge works, but I've never needed it. My bike is always off when I pump gas into it an guess what, even in a full face with gloves on, I rarely dribble anything outside the tank. The only time I've spilled is when excess gas sits in the nozzle. Then I just wipe it off. A little patience and control goes a long way.

Sometimes there's not a techno-babble fix for every little problem...

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Actually... Having had this problem for many years with many bikes, I find that is usually more of a problem with the particular gas station than with the bike. Some stations in my area seem to have higher nozzle pressures and their pump handles do not allow you to slightly trickle the fuel in. Those stations are great for filling my truck. Being able to pump 30 gallons in just a minute or two is great. But I don't fill my bikes at those stations. I know a few stations where the pumps run slowly and you can feather the nozzle so that the gas is barely trickling out. Those are my "Bike stations."

Hope you can find a better station.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the "auto off" does work with these fuel cells without issue. If you stop when the pump shuts itself off you'll rarely, if ever, over fill or dribble. After the auto off, you still have room for another 1/2gallon or so. If the fuel is all the way to the top of the opening, just wiggle the bike back and forward and the level will go down as fuel goes into the creases of the atypical tank.

NOT A DESIGN FLAW, just requires us to be smarter than the fuel pump

1 - 20 of 72 Posts