Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
08 VROD VRSCAW
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the second thread. If someone can tell me how to delete threads so I am not clogging up this subforum it would be much appreciated.

Current Upgrades/Dyno #'s

• Dyno - HP 118.52/ 82.06 (baseline was 115ish HP before mapping on PCIII)

• 08 VRSCAW(13k miles on the clock. Currently at dealer for 15k service...figured now is as good as any time to do the upgrades into Stage 2)
  • V&H 2-1
  • Topless
  • PCIII

To Be:

• V&H2-1
  • Motohooligan Intake Kit
  • Jones Cam# V-Rod Stg-2
    254/252 @.050"
    .480"/.455" Lobe lift
  • Beehive Valve spring and retainer set

• SE 58MM Throttle Body
  • PCV

Does anyone forsee anything missing for what I'm going for?(Wont ever go into Turbo/supercharger/bigbore/throttle body. Wanted to get a bit more horsepower/torque for under 3k all in and get rid of the sewing machine sound that is fairly prominent with the current topless set-up)

·
Registered
124 Posts
im not sure id bother with the motohooligan intake. I researched them and have seen no proof of any gains. they are expensive and if you decide to go to 58mm tb (something that IS proven) you will have the wrong diameter stacks. And I don't know much about tuners, but it seems ive heard the power commander doesn't do well with cams

·
08 VROD VRSCAW
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just spoke with the owner at Motohooligan.
He will be posting a reply here shortly he said.

long story short, the stacks with the motohooligan kit are 58mm already and work perfectly with the 58mmTB

Also, one big reason I wanted to change from a topless setup to the motohooligan setup is the noise I'm currently getting(classic sewing machine...drives me nuts sometimes).
Figure this will at least mitigate that somewhat..and if not..just seem more "put together" in my mind that just running topless.

Either way...expensive for sure but I'll feel better having a bolt on part that finishes off the airbox area(that is matched to the 58mm bore size of the risers as the owner mentioned on the phone a minute ago) rather than a mod the previous owner of this bike did(which doesnt look very clean to me at all).

PLUS..I need a new airfilter anyway and the kit comes with one LOL

·
Registered
124 Posts

long story short, the stacks with the motohooligan kit are 58mm already and work perfectly with the 58mmTB

Also, one big reason I wanted to change from a topless setup to the motohooligan setup is the noise I'm currently getting(classic sewing machine...drives me nuts sometimes).
Figure this will at least mitigate that somewhat..and if not..just seem more "put together" in my mind that just running topless.

Either way...expensive for sure but I'll feel better having a bolt on part that finishes off the airbox area(that is matched to the 58mm bore size of the risers as the owner mentioned on the phone a minute ago) rather than a mod the previous owner of this bike did(which doesnt look very clean to me at all).

They definitely look nice, interesting that they come with 58mm stacks...

·
08 VROD VRSCAW
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

They definitely look nice, interesting that they come with 58mm stacks...
Talked for a while with Fitzgerald Motorsports earlier and they said they were able to show 5 hp gain with the motohooligan kit. From stock intake to motohooligan.

Going to forgo throttle body in favor of some other recommendations anand have them do the whole thing. Excited(I was nervous about dealer doing performance work)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Talked for a while with Fitzgerald Motorsports earlier and they said they were able to show 5 hp gain with the motohooligan kit. From stock intake to motohooligan.

Going to forgo throttle body in favor of some other recommendations anand have them do the whole thing. Excited(I was nervous about dealer doing performance work)
Seems like a good choice going with Fitzgerald, he has an excellent reputation on this forum, I wouldn't trust the dealership to do anything more technical than change the oil on a V-rod. id still go with 58mm throttle body either way though.

·
08 VROD VRSCAW
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Seems like a good choice going with Fitzgerald, he has an excellent reputation on this forum, I wouldn't trust the dealership to do anything more technical than change the oil on a V-rod. id still go with 58mm throttle body either way though.

Man...I hear guys say dont do it and guys say do it. What will the gains be for the 475 spent to have Fitzgerald bore my stock tb to 58mm? What is thebenefit of doing it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
im no expert, but for one thing it will match the diameter of your motohooligan stacks. id think that would be better for air flow. Also its supposed to improve power up top. I know everyone talks about low RPM torque but lets be honest, if that's what we really wanted we would be riding a VTX or rocket III or an air cooled Harley right? but another nice thing is that when you tear it down later to bore or stroke it you will already have the throttle body you need to get maximum power out of it.

·
Agave Idiots :)
337 Posts
I have run my bike with both 58 and stock TBs on the same engine that I have right now.
On the top end the 58's performed well WOT and above 6500, but seemed to be a bit soft on low end torque.
For the low end torque stay with the stock TBs but get the shaft upgrade. Still goes like hell in the upper end.
From what I've been told by guys who race that the larger TBs don't really perform well until you start to get into the bigger bores 1300+
JMHO

·
08 VROD VRSCAW
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have run my bike with both 58 and stock TBs on the same engine that I have right now.
On the top end the 58's performed well WOT and above 6500, but seemed to be a bit soft on low end torque.
For the low end torque stay with the stock TBs but get the shaft upgrade. Still goes like hell in the upper end.
From what I've been told by guys who race that the larger TBs don't really perform well until you start to get into the bigger bores 1300+
JMHO
From what it sounds like the stock tb is what I'm looking for in feel. (I get going just fine in higher rpms...I dont like going much faster than 80-100mph when I'm getting into the bike(wind resistance on the vrod is not comfortable at high speeds). The fun part for me is getting on it from stop/slow roll and if keeping stock tb does this for me I'll wait to do anything until I'm ready to up the ccs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.