Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a new set of originalmufflers and a TAB fueler. Before i modifyed the muffler i took a short test ride without the mufflers just for fun. The bike run perfect without decellpopping or hasitating in all speeds. Strange? its not supposed to do that!. Okay so far so good. I cut the muffler and made shorties of them and put them on the bike. Took a real testdrive and let the engine get warm and the bike run awsome. Okay its the original filter but the pipes are unbaffled now and the bike is smooth as ever before and sounds like i ever wished for. Should i even consider putting on the fueler when the bike run so good. Could the bike been "chipped" by the former owners couse there is no fueler on it?. As a former carburator guy i be happy as hell if a carburator bike run so smooth my DX run now. So whats the problem you may think!, there is no problem but in this forum i read about decellpopping and stumbling engines every day and i wonder if i just got lucky to have i bike thats go richer original?. Its a -07 DX sold in Europe and feel free to explane this if you have a idea!.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you say but dont you think it´s strange that the engine runs better in any means with the unbaffled mufflers than original. I´d rev it up to 8000 r/m and let go of the throttle and not a decellpop. And not a stumble in the 2500-3000 area that supposed to be "usual" with a untuned engine. When i got the bike there was a homemade exhaust with short supertrapp on it, and the guy who sold the bike said that he had run it without any discs and open endcaps but it was to loud. He hade not noticed any differens in performance without discs or with them and i thought bullshit when i heard him but damn if he isnt right. I wonder if the original airfilter is the key here. I noticed a better torqe in the bottom with the original exhaust than with the supertrapp system but not if i compare the drilled original with my new modded ones with no baffles. Only that it feels like i let the air out like it should now. And it should be a symptom if a engine was lean in any way like popping or getting hot or things like that but nothing. It just felt wrong to put a richer mixture in a engine that runs like a dream. i´d just rode the bike 4000 km in 7 days on my holiday with the original system so i have a pretty good feeling that the nicer sound dont trick me, it realy runs a lot better unbaffled.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
When exhaust gases are restricted, they linger in the cylinder and contribute to the richness of the charge in the subsequent stroke. Naturally when you relieve the restriction, the gases are more thoroughly expelled resulting in a leaner mixture on the next stroke.

That is what happens when you drill holes in your exhaust; your engine runs leaner. A lean mixture (13.5:1 or higher) is dangerous because it makes too much heat to dissipate quickly. The gases eventually ignite prematurely and wreak havoc on your valves and may burn a hole through your piston. Bad. If your V-Rod were a 2008 or newer (with O2 sensors), the ECM would compensate for the lean condition and add fuel (to a point). Yours will not.

Maybe your bike isn't as lean as the U.S. E.P.A. version? You may not be in as much danger as you would be in if your bike were made for the U.S.A. I just don't know. Anyone know? Are Eurorods tuned differently than ours?

Anyway, you have the fueler. I'd play it safe and use it if I were you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I´ll gonna check the plugs tomorrow just for curiosity. And if they are whiter tha usual i´ll supposed i increase the mixture on all low,mid and top couse i dont want to mess the way it runs now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can the original ECU be modifyed in the same way you can do with a car?, like change a chip to richen the engine without any difference on the outside look of it?. I´d read somewhere that it could be done but just a little richer than original.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Can the original ECU be modifyed in the same way you can do with a car?, like change a chip to richen the engine without any difference on the outside look of it?. I´d read somewhere that it could be done but just a little richer than original.
Yes. Your local H-D dealership will make your wallet more than a just little poorer than original for the dyno-tune. But that is the way to go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. Your local H-D dealership will make your wallet more than a just little poorer than original for the dyno-tune. But that is the way to go.
So it can be done without any signs of the outside of the ecu?. If thats so, that could be the answer of a pleasent problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean if they already done it from the bike was new and I just nailded the tune when i cut the mufflers. If thats so i´ll buy a lottery ticket tomorrow cause its my lycky week then.

·
Beck
44 Posts
:soapbox:First things first, take that tab tuner and throw it in the trash, pour gasoline in the trash and burn it. Go to the stealership and get a sert with dyno tune. Tab should not be in the tuner business, I adjusted that thing every which way but up my a$$ for a year and never got the bike to run right. It will either be too lean or too rich there is no good balance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:soapbox:First things first, take that tab tuner and throw it in the trash, pour gasoline in the trash and burn it. Go to the stealership and get a sert with dyno tune. Tab should not be in the tuner business, I adjusted that thing every which way but up my a$$ for a year and never got the bike to run right. It will either be too lean or too rich there is no good balance.
Ha ha that was a radical advise. I heard both good things and bad about the TAB fueler. It seems to be that if you ask 10 persons you get 10 different answers. Everyone seems to support the gadget they just bought. Its the same with the pipes, they just loves their new pipes and when you meet them after a couple of weeks they have a new setup and just whorship the new expensive stuffs. We are a fynny type of people, even if we have a bike that runs perfect we cant keep our fingers away from the darn thing. But the cars that we drive everyday have 3 oilchanges in 15 years and have a broken bulb in the dash since 2003. A real luck that we have beer to medicate the syndrome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update!. Checked the plugs. They were light tanned so it seems that i dont need any fueler for now. At least not untill i change the filter for a hi-flow. Checked them again after 200km and shows the same color that the drilled one produced. So i leave it for now and just enjoy the rest of the summer on the DX. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts