Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The V-rod is such a fun bike to ride, but I love the looks of it too!

Too bad the stock rear fender setup is kind of ugly (no where near as bad as some bikes though)... that cheap, black matte plastic with the stuck-on bicycle reflectors.

Just so you know, I only (barely) have a modicum of fabrication skills. All I'm looking to do is get rid of that cheap black plastic under the tail of the 2002 VRSCA (anodized/chrome V-rod).

Does anyone one know of any good, simple rear fender eliminator kits (or DIY steps) for that? I've been looking online and everything I've found looks very complicated...

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I've installed a few of the Eurocomponents kits and they are fairly easy. Unbolt the stock dog's ass, drill 3 holes in the stock under fender, and a little trimming of the inner fender and it is done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't aware of that company. Thanks for the tip! I'm too chicken to replace the rear tire at this point... so I'm dealing with stock tire width.

Would this work?
http://www.eurocomponentsusa.com/parts_for_v_rods/products.php?id=VL

I assume the under-fender is the big steel frame with the saddle bag mounting holes? If so are you saying with this license plate holder I can just re-drill the under fender and re-assemble the whole thing with this plate? That could work. I guess I'd have to figure out a turn signal setup as well, but that's not too bad.

It's a bit odd... but their picture don't show mounting holes for the actual license plate. Am I suppose to do those myself as well? :)

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Due to the many different sizes of license plates they leave it blank for the installer to drill it correctly. You can remove the saddlebag brackets. The inner/under fender is the black metal shell under the annodized rear fender.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff! And I am still impressed at how fast you all reply! Thanks for the info, I will do some research and start digging in...

If anyone has other bits of wisdom to offer, I'm all ears.

Happy and safe riding!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great ideas! Now the only thing is I don't want to tear it apart while the riding weather is still so good... If anyone else has more suggestions I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
127 dollars for a piece of aluminum is expensive. Get your dremel out and cut the gay plastic dog's ass after you get the MegaZ turn signal relocation kit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
127 dollars for a piece of aluminum is expensive. Get your dremel out and cut the gay plastic dog's ass after you get the MegaZ turn signal relocation kit.
Kinda what I was thinking :D

Though I was going to still locate the plate on the rear of the fender... I will just have to get creative!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the wrap around LED's that phatass posted, love the look of them.

I had the license plate relocater that you can buy in addition to the lights. Well, on my way to Sturgis last year the license plate bracket broke off, flung the plate around the tire, dented and scratched the upper belt guard and also broke the mounting tab for the LED's. After some modifying, I still use the turn signals. Just kinda pisses me off that for $289.95 and $70 for plate relocater they didn't even make it 500 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks great! Is that a custom bracket for the license plate and signals? Or did you just cut (and paint?) the stock one?

Also it looks like you had to cut the saddle bag mounting tabs off. I'm on the fence regarding doing that or not. When I bought the bike it came with a set of decent bags and I was saving them "just in case".

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Remove the brackets.You don't need them anyway.
That's the stock dogs ass custom cut and painted to match the frame.I also painted the mud guard in front of the rear tire.
The TS housings are the stock plastic ones triple plated.My 03 was the first V-Rod to run stock style chrome TS housings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right on, thanks for the ideas. This is all really good stuff.

I think I will just have to wait for riding season to end and make this a project for the cold weather months.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Can I keep the Dogs ass while removing the inner fender and brackets? I'm about to do the surgery "à la Elrod" but looking at the manual before disassembling and chopping off, looks like the only place the dog's bracket attaches is in the inner fender. Any help will be :notworth:! I like to be as much prepared as possible before starting to mess up, LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts