Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my darling wife managed to smash up BOTH Harleys last week. I suppose it was bound to happen eventually, but it takes real talent to take out both i one swoop

:banghead:

To be fair it wasn't ALL her fault. I pulled into the driveway first and came to a stop in front of the garage door. Raven pulled in behind, but as she did, a neighbor boy came running out at her screaming and waving his arms. She swerved and her hand slipped on her 2-Kool-4-Skool 16 inch ape hangers and hit the throttle hard.

I didn't see her coming, but I hear her bike accelerating and it got louder, and Louder, and LOUDER until SMASH!!!! I managed to keep the bike up but her Sporty was down and rammed up in between my rear fender and saddlebag. My immediate response was not nice and she replied in kind. Then she laid into the kid with a string of obscenities like he had never heard. I yelled from the bike to stop, being that the kid was 11 years old,and she promptly told me where to go and ran inside the house in tears.

Mind you, her bike was STILL RUNNING with the back tire spinning off the ground and I was left supporting two harleys with my left leg. :eek::eek::eek: I yelled to my son and he ran over and hit the kill switch. Next I directed him to pull my kickstand down and I got off the bike to survey the damage. Both bikes had become one grotesque abomination of air-cooled and metric Harley. I managed to pull her bike free and I was amazed at what I saw... minimal damage!!!

She hit me pretty hard, but amazingly, her front fender absorbed most of the damage and it crumpled like a piece of foil. It was a total loss and even the welds snapped under the force. Her bike looked good other than that and some cosmetic scratches until I saw the oil on the ground. Nothing is more frightening and less surprising to a HD owner than an oil leak. Fortunately it wasn't much and ofter more ended up on the garage floor the next day I took it to the shop to see what was wrong. The diagnosis was good and it seems that it just splashed a bit out of the overflow upon impact. No oil in the air filter and all the seals checked out AOK. A little over a week later there is still no leak. PHEW!

The D was fortunate as well. The plastic piece that makes up the lower rear fender EXPLODED! This is the piece that the plate screws onto and is also one piece with the rear turn signals. The metal upper fender was unharmed and I am impressed at the design of her front and my rear fenders for absorbing such an impact while protecting the bikes. I would have been bummed if the metal part would have been damage because the bike was hand pin-striped by Tex McDorman and his sig is under the tail light.

So I opened a bottle of whisky and began to gorilla glue all of the pieces of my plastic fender bottom in the driveway. A truly depressing evening. If the rear turn signals weren't part of it I would toss the whole thing and have decided to do so i the future anyway, but cash is very tight and I just can't afford to relocate the plate and signals or even replace the fender right now. So, there will be some glue on my fender that only I will notice until I figure something out. I have looked online for the part but only seem to find the upper metal part of the fender or the whole fender. If anyone has the lower piece laying around, that they want to part with, PM me with a price and maybe I won't have to make do until I get enough savings to relocate the signals and plate. I really like the led strips and will definitely make that leap and move the plate to the side in the Spring with the tax return. Funny how bike damage often leads to sweet mods :)

So end result is a couple of lost fenders and some scratches and thankfully no one was hurt. We took a great ride today but the misses got hit in the face 8 times by rocks without the fender, lol. I ordered one last week but she wanted to leave it off to go with her "old skool" look... today she thanked me for ordering one anyway because a scarred up face is a little too "old skool" not to mention the added ability to ride thru puddles and in the rain :)

The hilarious part is that we competed in the Mackay Motorcycle Rodeo the weekend before and managed to complete the events (drag, slow race, weenie bite, plunger run, skills ride, and pig toss) covered in dirt but without a scratch on either bike only to get home and smash up both bikes in the driveway!

:spit:

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What no Pictures?
Not yet, it is hard to focus when I am tearing up :D

She didn't even think about the clutch and there is a black strip going all the way up the driveway from her throttle and brake fighting it out.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
Next time you let her come first in the driveway:D
i am always nervous when my wife ride her bike behind me

good nobody was hurt but suks to screw up the bike like that

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
I follow mine - I can keep an eye on her, and she sets the pace. If she decides to run something over, I can choose to, or not. Normally, if something needs hitting, I am on the bus! Sux about the damage, but, mod city! YAY. I see an HC taillight in your future! Joe

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The plastic piece that makes up the lower rear fender EXPLODED!
On this forum it's referred to as the "dogs arse". $50 at the dealer, cheaper at Zanotti's/Chicago Harley online. Money but not BIG money.

My son has an '87 Sportster and it's been over three times at 0 mph.........pees out some oil, more for more time, comes out the over flow.......check the level and you're good to go, your year/model may vary but sounds typical, no sweat.

Be nice to the wife; invite the kid over for Cool aid, lace it with 5 Hour Energy Drink and send him home to those lovely parents that need to enjoy his presence a little more often.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
So you need a dog's ass and signals or just the dogs ass? and I guess it needs to fit the 180 fender...... I will check if I still have mine off the 04 B........ I think I do?...... if I do you can have them for the shipping....... I will check on Monday and post back.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
glad you 2 are ok.time to start modding the D. start with a HC taillight. i still think that she will sell the sporty and get a DX.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
This type damage could be written up as comprehensive and not collision because it happened on private property.If the bikes are financed,the deductible should be $250.If you play the game correctly,you could get your home owners policy to cover the deductible.:deal:

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The signals (lenses and wiring) are fine but are a part of the dogs ass. Most of the damage occurred to the plate holder part. I thought about reporting it to the insurance, but I think the damage is minimal enough to not be worth a premium increase.

Thanks roadrunner. It is the 180 rear tire... an o6 D. Not sure if they are the same but no worries if it isn't - gonna be saving now because this run in has me looking at my rear end :)

·
Snapper
1,307 Posts
So i'm just curious... why the hell was the kid running at her that way? I would assume you found out right? And if it wasn't an emergency, what did his parents say?

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
could of been a lot worse........

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The signals (lenses and wiring) are fine but are a part of the dogs ass. Most of the damage occurred to the plate holder part. I thought about reporting it to the insurance, but I think the damage is minimal enough to not be worth a premium increase.

Thanks roadrunner. It is the 180 rear tire... an o6 D. Not sure if they are the same but no worries if it isn't - gonna be saving now because this run in has me looking at my rear end :)
If your insurance company would increase the premium to you for something ike what you have done here,you have the wrong insurance company.

could of been a lot worse........
Yea,and he's lucky too!

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i'm just curious... why the hell was the kid running at her that way? I would assume you found out right? And if it wasn't an emergency, what did his parents say?
The kid was "trying to scare her" which he certainly succeeded in doing. When I spoke to the parents they replied "kids will be kids". I told them that they were lucky that she hit my Harley and not their son. I also went into a tirade about responsibility and how they should step up and pay for the damages that their kid caused - an argument that they strongly disagreed with. We had quite the discussion and now we are no longer on speaking terms.

Mind you, these are the neighbors that HATE motorcycles, even quiet ones like the D. Their kid is out of control and I am glad that he will be staying on his side of the street from now on. The same kid spent the 4th of July teaching my 10-year-old how to make explosives out of fireworks. A useful skill perhaps, but not one that needed to be learned by my red-headed Irish boy :)

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your insurance company would increase the premium to you for something ike what you have done here,you have the wrong insurance company.

Yea,and he's lucky too!
True... maybe my premium wouldn't go up. But I got the fender for the sporty for free and I can live with the glue job if I need to. My deductible is way higher than the shipping for the fender and I am going to mark this down as a lucky break and a language lesson for the neighbor kid (and his parents who leave him alone all day long every day)

:spank:

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
Redcap I do have my old dogs ass from the 04 B........ send me a pm with your email addy and I will send you a couple of pics of it for you to decide if it looks in good enough condition for ya.......to me it looks just fine but before I send have a looks at the pics......Cheers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts